Sponsored

Best tool to remove oil filter on PowerBoost motor?

amschind

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 F150 SCrew 4x4 Powerboost
Occupation
Physician
I know it doesn't help now, but many aftermarket oil filters have a hex "nut" stamped into the housing. The downside is that overzealous mechanic gets one more tool to overtighten filters, but the upside is that it is MUCH easier to get off even in tight quarters. I only buy oil filters with the "nut"....I've just grown sick of fighting smooth, self-lubricating cylinders that morons overtighten.
Sponsored

OP
OP

bowling

First Name
J
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150
Dang. Must have been the smaller one I used. Let me change that before screws someone up! Thanks
sorry, i'm not saying yours is the wrong size. I had a different brand but same type of swiveling handle filter wrench. Good idea with the ****ing thicket of hoses and whatnot around the filter, but mine was a bit too large of a diameter even after the flip and twist maneuver. :(

Last edited:
OP
OP

bowling

First Name
J
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150
On the Fumoto site they offer 4 different ones. Which one do you guys like the best? adjustable or ?
and do we need the adaptor extension? Also does the blue/black safety clip come with them and is that something that will last or do you put a new clip on after each change?...
I bought the F-107N valve for my truck. The little clip that comes with it has held up just fine.

Cajin Kevin

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Ford F-150 Lariat FX4 Powerboost
Occupation
Minister
Ran out of Ford Pass Points, lol!...so am now relegated to changing my own oil for the rest of my ownership of my '21PB. That oil filter location is ridiculous. But like I tell my wife every time I come back from Harbor Freight..."a man can do anything with the right set of tools!" Saw this on YouTube vid and it saved my bacon. Make sure you get a 14 flute oil filter end cap wrench to use with it. Hope this helps others. https://www.harborfreight.com/38-in-drive-t-bar-with-flexible-ratchet-57175.html

Sponsored

Snakebitten

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 KingRanch Powerboost
I have now done 6 oil changes and I just use a 3/8 ratchet and an oil filter cap wrench.
I don't even jack up the truck. Just slide up under the front bumper. On my back. Feet in the direction of the passenger side, head towards driver. I can clearly see the end of the oil filter. Reach up with the ratchet attached to the cap socket. Give it a few 1/8 turns. Then spin it off with my hands.

The tray directs the oil into the pan I have under the truck.

nomarhits400

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F150 Poweboost
Occupation
Analytical Chemist
Dang. Must have been the smaller one I used. Let me change that before screws someone up! Thanks

Were you able to confirm which size fits the FL-500s best?

I’ve got the flute style that fits on the end, but that filter is on there so tight, I’ve partially stripped all the threads trying to get it off and just gave up for fear of tearing the filter housing.

I’m going to need to try a different approach- and this looks like the best alternative if there’s room to maneuver.

UGADawg96

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 302A 157 PB
FYI since there’s different versions of the 500s oil filter floating around I went with this.
https://www.motivxtools.com/products/mx2374-us

Fits both newer and old style 500s filters. All I use it that and a 3/8 ratchet. Pretty easy.
I can confirm this. Got it off amazon and have used it twice now. It is more expensive than some of the others, but it is well built.

Ford F-150 Best tool to remove oil filter on PowerBoost motor? 1707045834298

Snakebitten

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 KingRanch Powerboost
And it's purty too.

darkhorse

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F-150 Platinum Powerboost
Occupation
retired
I you need a replacement clip for your fumoto valve, have a 3D printer, there is a model for download on thingiverse: Thingiverse Fumoto Clip
Sponsored