• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

RickLightning

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Lighting ER Lariat,'22 Mach-E Premium 4X
Let's maybe say it's telematics. We know data transmission can happen over cellular which is nice for not having to be in any near proximity to the vehicle. It seems this might be using AT&T 5G based on the following, though I don't know if that will be separate from the 4G receiver indicated for FordPass Connect with 4G LTE wifi hotspot on the spec sheet, or if technology has been updated since first publish of spec sheet.

AT&T Brings 5G Connectivity to Ford F-150 Lightning | Digital Trends

I'm hoping that the Ford Charge Station Pro will also be able to send these control/monitoring telematics commands to the vehicle as well, since it will likely have home wifi connectivity and sometimes cellular reception inside a garage can be sketchy (at least for 4G for current EV).
Don't know what you're trying to clarify but let me try.

The remote start on the app communicates, either via internet or cell, to Ford's servers. Ford's servers communicate to the vehicle via cellular, whether it's 4G or 5G. It does not use WiFi to start the truck.

Chargers on the market today use WiFi to communicate with their servers, I would assume the Charge Station Pro would be similar. It's not going to send anything to the truck via WiFi or cellular. The settings on the Charge Station Pro will be programmable via the FordPass app (just like the current Ford Charger) I would expect. The vehicle gets its charging information, i.e. schedules, from FordPass, or you can set them in the vehicle itself.

The only communication between the vehicle and the charger happens via the cable plugged into the chargeport to my knowledge.
Sponsored

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mazda3! (F-150 Lightning soon)
For preconditioning, L2 is almost a must. L1 supplies less power than the E-heat uses to precondition.
What exactly do you mean here? I was planning on using the Mobile Charger that's included connected to 240V/30A. Would that be sufficient to pre-condition without losing charge? I don't necessarily expect it to gain range while pre-conditioning.

shutterbug

First Name
Joseph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mastang Mach-E Grabber Blue First Edition
What exactly do you mean here? I was planning on using the Mobile Charger that's included connected to 240V/30A. Would that be sufficient to pre-condition without losing charge? I don't necessarily expect it to gain range while pre-conditioning.
240V/30A is L2. If you use 110V, that's L1. L1 is not sufficient to precondition a vehicle.

sotek2345

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat ER, 2021 Mach-e GT
Occupation
Engineering Manager
240V is L2, so you are are all set. L1 is a standard 110V (120V) plug and will have a hard time providing enough juice to warm the battery.

Maquis

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E E4-X; 2023 Lightning Lariat ER
You’ll be fine. The mobile charger at 240V should be very close to break even, worst case. It’s about 7.5 KW. I don’t know the size of the E-heat in Lightning, but the Mach-E is 5KW. Lightning will likely be the same or slightly bigger.

L1 is only about 1.4 KW so it’s inadequate for preconditioning.

Sponsored

midmack

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
VE Jetta, Chrysler Pacifica
Occupation
Family Physician
I am wondering about the hit of the A/T vs the A/S. For A/T tires, the ones available on the lightning seem pretty mild, so I don't anticipate a huge hit, but there will likely be one. I'll likely start with the A/T and switch back to A/S if the range hit is too big after a few years. I won't be doing much driving to the limits of the range, so really it isn't a big deal.

adoublee

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2 EVs
Don't know what you're trying to clarify but let me try.

The remote start on the app communicates, either via internet or cell, to Ford's servers. Ford's servers communicate to the vehicle via cellular, whether it's 4G or 5G. It does not use WiFi to start the truck.

Chargers on the market today use WiFi to communicate with their servers, I would assume the Charge Station Pro would be similar. It's not going to send anything to the truck via WiFi or cellular. The settings on the Charge Station Pro will be programmable via the FordPass app (just like the current Ford Charger) I would expect. The vehicle gets its charging information, i.e. schedules, from FordPass, or you can set them in the vehicle itself.

The only communication between the vehicle and the charger happens via the cable plugged into the chargeport to my knowledge.
The remote start is not strictly cellular in the implementation you are describing, and does not have to be cellular to be telematic. You can initiate commands over "internet" with the app to get them to Ford servers. Then Ford can communicate with the vehicle over the implemented cellular network, if the vehicle has reception. Point is, it use of telecommunications for the remote start.

With a Ford branded EVSE and a Ford vehicle, there is not reason the vehicle shouldn't be able to have pre-conditioning initiated over the EVSE cable, with the telematics signal getting to the EVSE from Ford's servers to their EVSE which will have an internet connection for the telecommunications/telematics. This would add benefit for vehicles in garages with poor cellular connectivity (or for when the utilized cell network is abandoned as is happening with Gen 1 Nissan Leafs right now).

RickLightning

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Lighting ER Lariat,'22 Mach-E Premium 4X
The remote start is not strictly cellular in the implementation you are describing, and does not have to be cellular to be telematic. You can initiate commands over "internet" with the app to get them to Ford servers. Then Ford can communicate with the vehicle over the implemented cellular network, if the vehicle has reception. Point is, it use of telecommunications for the remote start.

With a Ford branded EVSE and a Ford vehicle, there is not reason the vehicle shouldn't be able to have pre-conditioning initiated over the EVSE cable, with the telematics signal getting to the EVSE from Ford's servers to their EVSE which will have an internet connection for the telecommunications/telematics. This would add benefit for vehicles in garages with poor cellular connectivity (or for when the utilized cell network is abandoned as is happening with Gen 1 Nissan Leafs right now).
Your first point I made in my second sentence. ;)

As to the other, let's talk reality. In reality, Ford's Connected Charge Station, in use by Mach-E owners, has issues. Multiple owners have said it's lost connectivity, with the FordPass app, for months, and all efforts to restore it have failed. Others have said it stops charging and throws a fault for no reason. Many have said that the support, from Ford, is lacking, and the dealers know nothing.

I can tell you that if I buy a Lightning and get the 80amp Charger, I will likely also buy another JuiceBox. Net, after utility company rebate, it's basically $178. And, if they extend the 30% tax credit that just expired, it's $125. That way if the Ford one didn't perform as advertised, I could switch to the other one. Or, use the Mobile charger on an outlet.

Last edited:

adoublee

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2 EVs
You first point I made in my second sentence. ;)

As to the other, let's talk reality. In reality, Ford's Connected Charge Station, in use by Mach-E owners, has issues. Multiple owners have said it's lost connectivity, with the FordPass app, for months, and all efforts to restore it have failed. Others have said it stops charging and throws a fault for no reason. Many have said that the support, from Ford, is lacking, and the dealers know nothing.

I can tell you that if I buy a Lightning and get the 80amp Charger, I will likely also buy another JuiceBox. Net, after utility company rebate, it's basically $178. And, if they extend the 30% tax credit that just expired, it's $125. That way if the Ford one didn't perform as advertised, I could switch to the other one. Or, use the Mobile charger on an outlet.
You must not be to concerned with charging at 80A - Juicebox will max out at the 48A it looks like you currently have.

Reality is also that Webasto makes the Connected Charge Station for Ford, and doesn't appear to be making the Charge Station Pro for them. It may reflect poorly on Ford if they "get it wrong again", but no reason to believe the product will lose connectivity for months or throw nuisance faults at this point.

jefro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150, Corvette, Bolt EV,
Wondering who would make the 80A model.

Sponsored
OP
OP
Sdctcher

Sdctcher

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2016 Ford Escape, 2022 Ford Lightning Lariat ER
Occupation
EV Gypsy
You must not be to concerned with charging at 80A - Juicebox will max out at the 48A it looks like you currently have.
Unless you have a 100 amp dedicated breaker ready to hook the Pro up to, you will be limited to a 60 amp breaker for the Juicebox.

adoublee

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2 EVs
Unless you have a 100 amp dedicated breaker ready to hook the Pro up to, you will be limited to a 60 amp breaker for the Juicebox.
None of this thread is making any sense to me. RickLightning says remote start "is cellular, not via the internet" then claims he says pointing out it can use internet is the point he made?

Yes, for the Ford Charge Station Pro (not Pro trim), a 100A breaker is required to deliver 80A to an ER battery, something JuiceBox products don't offer. 80A will charge the vehicle faster than a 48A charger from a 60A breaker... a reason to want to use the Ford Charge Ststion Pro over a sepetately purchased JuiceBox.

Best of luck optimizing your truck efficiency.

jefro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150, Corvette, Bolt EV,
Ford and other makers know that they will be able to sell connectivity to many end users in the years to come. Want to remote into your truck?? Pay $10 month. Want to get this or that?? Pay more. You know BlueCruise like other driving will be a subscription.
I know many cars loose their connection over time because of technology. Analog cellular and 2G/3G ending makes some of these features not usable and not easily upgradable.

My two EV's have 4G connection so that when I send command to start or heat the app sends data out via my phone to cloud then back to my cars. Doubt the F150 will have 5G to start as it doesn't really need it. 5G is only fast in downtown areas in most locations. The rest of the planet is basically 4G.
The FOB shows up on some scanners as bluetooth and the built in wifi on the car can show up if enabled. Seems silly to pay for wifi on a car to me.

Chargers can have some wifi to house then to internet to some phone or computer app to control them. One can control it without internet usually if they can access the wifi lan.

I almost bought a used commercial chargepoint charger but found out how much of a hassle it would be to use it. Commercial Chargepoints either have a wifi repeater to the owners lan/wan or have a sim modem to connect to their billing.

Last edited:

MickeyAO

First Name
Mickey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rapid Red Lightning Lariat ER, Kia EV6 GT-Line AWD
Occupation
Lab Manager of the Energy Storage Technology Center
Wondering who would make the 80A model.
Clipper Creek has made an 80 A EVSE for several years now...I have one in my lab right now.

Kevin22

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Chevy Volt
Occupation
Systems Test Engineer
Just posted this on another forum - trying to get the best system in place to care for our new Lighting. This is the future ladies and gentlemen. Let me know if you have any questions - fun to learn about solar and get this system in place. My girl is suppose to get her new Mach E this week?!? Take it easy on me for choosing the Tesla Powerwall 2. Best deal we could find. Never going back to the gas station!

Ford F-150 Lightning Best Practices For Feeding (Charging) and Caring of Our New Lightnings 1642702940618
Sponsored