Sponsored

Best hard trifold bedcover for the money??

LTfarmerTN

First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 f150
Occupation
Farmer
What’s the lightest or easiest to remove quickly hard trifold out now? Seems like bakflip is most common brand but they’ve got tons of models to choose from
Sponsored

thebigdu

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lariat Sport PowerBoost
Lomax Original

Blue22

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 Lariat Sport SuperCrew 5.0L
I installed an UnderCover UltraFlex tonneau about 5 months ago and I have no complaints. I really like how the surface is not textured which matches nicely with the bed rails. The underside of the panels are carpeted and it comes with an integrated bed rail light. I have the OEM bed light but it would be a nice feature for those who ordered their truck without the bed utility package. It also has props so it doesn't lean against the cab when fully opened.

Fordphanatic

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Platinum F150
Occupation
Union Carpenter
Lomax stance

PFD664

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 Crew 502a Lariat 4x4 Powerboost
Occupation
Firefighter/Paramedic
I have the Extang Exceed, hard folding cover with vinyl overlay that gives a smooth looking finish, I also like that it has a rotary knob to unlock instead of the cable pull on the first section which makes it harder to break into.
Ford F-150 Best hard trifold bedcover for the money?? Extang Exceed cover2.PNG
Ford F-150 Best hard trifold bedcover for the money?? Extang Exceed cover.PNG

Sponsored

{tpc}

First Name
Anthony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F-150 302a High SuperCrew 3.5 EB MaxTow
I have the mx4. It works good and looks great, I’ve been able to move my current one from 2018 all the way to my 2022. So 3 trucks have seen use of it.

That said, it’s heavy. Not enough to push me over payload when geared up for camping but it’s close. So close I am considering switching to a roll up cover just for weight alone.

Also removing it, while it’s only a couple of wingnuts, because of the heaviness and size, it’s difficult for one person to do. I’ve done it myself a few times so it can be done, but much easier with 2.

So if your going to be taking it in and out often, I would not get it. Also consider that when fully open, the back window is unusable but now you have a bed camera to help with that.

Zengineer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lariat 157wb
Bakflip MX4
I had the MX4 on my 2020 and it is a very nice cover. I liked the matte finish, but man that thing is heavy. The trade off is that it is rated for 400 lbs distributed load. I had no plans to mount any racks or strap anything on top of it so that wasn't a big feature for me.

I would probably have gone with another BakFlip for my 2022...possibly stepping down to one of the lighter duty versions or maybe looked at the Undercover mentioned above. As it happened the lot truck I found had the factory Ford branded folding hard cover. It functions the same as the BakFlip but is slightly lighter duty. Some say they are or were made by Bakflip, some think otherwise. It seems fine to me.

Tobstertx3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 Lariat
I had the MX4 on my 2020 and it is a very nice cover. I liked the matte finish, but man that thing is heavy. The trade off is that it is rated for 400 lbs distributed load. I had no plans to mound any rake or strap anything on top of it so that wasn't a big feature for me.

I would probably have gone with another BakFlip...possibly stepping down to the lighter duty version or maybe looked at the Undercover mentioned above. As it happened the lot truck I found had the factory Ford branded folding hard cover. It functions the same as the BakFlip but is slightly lighter duty. Some say they are or were made by Bakflip, some think otherwise. It seems fine to me.
Interesting as weight is definetely something that i consider.

I am waiting for my 2022 truck and looking at covers again. I was looking at the Bakflip X4S Rolling cover. When i talked to BakFlip they said this one was heavier than the MX4 which i found hard to believe but ok. So at the minute looking at the MX4 again but would consider a similar cover if it was considerably lighter.

Sponsored

thebigdu

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lariat Sport PowerBoost
If you're concerned about weight and ability to quickly remove, then the Lomax Original really is your answer. It's offered with a few different finishes on top, which is just a matter of preference. I went with the matte finish, and I think it looks great. I don't love that I can't fold up the last section to access things deep in the bed, but the tradeoff is that the entire cover pops off when folded up in about five seconds with no tools whatsoever, and it is easy to store lengthwise in the bed.

The Lomax Stance is built with similar construction, but instead of being designed for quick removal, it folds up against the window like the other options mentioned here, but it requires you to put some adhesive-backed mounts on your roof.

t-bone82

First Name
TJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2015 2.7EB XLT Sport
Love my weather tech alloy cover, have had since May. Water tight (unlike my retract I had on my 2015 that leaked like a sieve). Little on the heavier side to remove but I rarely need to. Super sturdy and looks great

OP
OP

LTfarmerTN

First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 f150
Occupation
Farmer
I installed an UnderCover UltraFlex tonneau about 5 months ago and I have no complaints. I really like how the surface is not textured which matches nicely with the bed rails. The underside of the panels are carpeted and it comes with an integrated bed rail light. I have the OEM bed light but it would be a nice feature for those who ordered their truck without the bed utility package. It also has props so it doesn't lean against the cab when fully opened.
How heavy does it seem? And getting it on and off by yourself ?

JEB

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Lariat PB 502a
Love my weather tech alloy cover, have had since May. Water tight (unlike my retract I had on my 2015 that leaked like a sieve). Little on the heavier side to remove but I rarely need to. Super sturdy and looks great
Second the WeatherTech. It’s actually a rebranded Lomax, mentioned above. Easy to install, easy to remove and weather tight.

DCBoost

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 Platinum PB (ordered)
I had good luck with Extang Trifecta 2.0 on my previous trucks. Quick and easy to remove if necessary. Handles the Florida sun. Plan on installing it on my (ordered) 2022 platinum when I finally get it in 2024.
Sponsored