Sponsored

Best Cold Air Intake kit to get for 2021 3.5 EcoBoost 6 cyl?

jordandev

First Name
Jordan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 XLT 302A (on order...)

NiftyF150

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 XLT Sport Leadfoot Gray 302a Ecoboost
Occupation
Maintenance Supervisor
Also just ordered the Roush from Stage 3 Motorsports to help support our forum vendor. That's one spendy unit, but as long as the quality is there and I get a little sound out of it I'll be happy.

OnceAnEagle

First Name
Walter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Ford F 150 Lariat Supercab Rapid Red
Occupation
Retired
Have a Platty being built and hope to have by EOM. What's the best cold air intake kit to get for the 3.5 Eco-Boost 6 cyl engine? Thank you
Look at videos from neutral testers who use dyno test data and results. Answers are all over from they do nothing but sound good to they increase power and a little mileage.

Mike D

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 XLT sport 302A
Occupation
Gov
I threw in a AEM Dry Flow air filter to see if it helps gas mileage, still to soon to tell.

Sponsored

Drjdog5150

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F-150 XLT 3.5 Ecoboost
Occupation
US Army
I replaced the stock filter with a drop in K&N and so far after 3 tanks my MPG average dropped from high 18’s - 20 to a steady 16.5.

My driving hasn’t changed at all, going to run a few more tanks and then swap back and see if the MPG goes back up.

Jeff1024

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150
I pbut in a previous life modding a Nissan 300zx TT, the upgrade to a K&N provide 10-15HP increase.
10-15hp increase on a dyno or 10-15hp increase according to the marketing on the box?

If you want to greatly increase HP, you would have to explore ram air intakes, but you need to be careful, the engine might not be able to handle higher PSI boost.
Can you explain how changing out an intake will increase the amount of boost produced by the turbos? Curious as I had not heard of anything like that before.

Last edited:

Mtnman1

First Name
Tod
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 RCSB FX4
Occupation
Engineer
Have a Platty being built and hope to have by EOM. What's the best cold air intake kit to get for the 3.5 Eco-Boost 6 cyl engine? Thank you!
Stock. Dont waste your money on marketing.

They only thing you will get over stock is more dirt in your engine.

Mtnman1

First Name
Tod
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 RCSB FX4
Occupation
Engineer
I will probably buy the Roush CAI. After all, these are Fords we're talking about, right?

I've been driving turbo cars for many years; I don't need to be convinced of the benefits of an improved intake, an oil separator, improved exhaust, or nitrous injection.

However, some of those things may affect your warranty or be illegal in your state. A CAI is not going to get you into any trouble
Market folks love you. CAI only gives you more dirt into your engine.

Jeff1024

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150
Stock. Dont waste your money on marketing.

They only thing you will get over stock is more dirt in your engine.
This. We are in a golden age of horsepower. Manufactures are fighting to get every bit of power they can so they can stay competitive and one up the competition. This isnt 1995, the stock intake is well designed. I cant imagine you will see much of a change with an aftermarket other than in your bank account.

Sponsored

Bmardis

First Name
Britton
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Powerboost
I hate to be That guy, but turbo engines have an intercooler that cools the air after it goes through the turbo. So in short the air will be heated when it touches the turbo, before cooling it right before it goes into the cylinders. So cool air intakes are redundant and unnecessary for Ecoboost engines. The $150 may be better spent on some floor mats.
:LOL::ROFLMAO:

Jeff1024

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150
Sort of true, the intercooler does cool the compressed intake charge, but only to a point. Starting with a colder intake temp is always better. Colder air is denser, which aids in combustion and higher power output.

It's as not as noticeable in my F150, but in my WRX the first cold fall morning I always noticed a bit of extra power coming from hot summer weather.

Tosh

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Lariat PB
Occupation
Re-Tired Bicycle Mechanic
Market folks love you. CAI only gives you more dirt into your engine.
Yeah - I decided not to put one in after all. It was a great improvement when I put one in my 1997 Grand Cherokee (inline 6), along with a bigger throttle body, header, custom exhaust, ECM tune, etc.

None of that stuff for the Powerboost. 3 years on, and it's still stock.

NiftyF150

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 XLT Sport Leadfoot Gray 302a Ecoboost
Occupation
Maintenance Supervisor
I replaced the stock filter with a drop in K&N and so far after 3 tanks my MPG average dropped from high 18’s - 20 to a steady 16.5.

My driving hasn’t changed at all, going to run a few more tanks and then swap back and see if the MPG goes back up.
Weird. I didn't lose any MPG's when I installed my Roush CAI. I didn't gain any either for what it's worth.

I like not having to change out the filter. Just blow it out with compressed air and toss it back in. Easy peasy.

The extra turbo noise is nice too. Although, it's only noticeable with the windows down or the music off. I don't regret the purchase and would buy it again.

Calson

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F-150
With a fuel injected turbo boosted engine there is not going to be a significant gain in horsepower from the engine with a pre-cooler. There is a good chance that power and fuel economy will be worse but don't expect anyone to mention it.

When I wanted more power I bought a diesel pickup with a stock engine that provided 445 HP and more than 700 lb ft of torque. I could accelerate without difficulty onto the freeway with a 13,000 lb boat and trailer in tow. After I sold the boat I sold the truck and bought a gas powered 3.5 ecoboost.
Sponsored