First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150
Occupation
Military
I’m looking to get better fuel efficiency and sound out of my 2.7L. I’ve seen quite a few good options shown below that I’m considering, my question is has anyone had better or worse success getting the right sound and performance increases with a specific combination of the products below. For example is there any advantage to combining the AFE exhaust with the AFE CAI?

CAI:
K&N, Roush, AFE, AEM

cat-back exhaust (looking for ones that have black tip option as well):
BORLA, MBRP, AFE, Magnaflow
Sponsored

cowboytk

First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 STX 4x4
i have the K&N intake, install was extremely easy. I have noticed a little power increase, big noise inscrease from turbo. the mpg dropped a bit cause i cant stay out of boost. But on a decent distance trip i was averaging about 22.4 vs 22 stock. (i got a heavy foot, what can i say)

BigHead

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 STX SuperCab 4x4
I'll be going with an S&B dry Intake, AWE 0fg Exhaust and SPD Performance Downpipes (when both are released)

AWE made the best 2.7 exhaust note on the 2015-2020 trucks, so I'm waiting for their 2021 revised models.

BigShan808

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 STX FX4 2.7 EB SCrew
Waiting on S&B to release theirs. Installed a dry filter one in my '18 5.0 and loved it. Best result I noticed of any CAI I've used ('00 4.2V6 Airaid/Flow Delta50 SIDO, '03 4.6V8 Volant/Flow Delta50 SIDO, '11 5.0 K&N/Flow Delta50 SISO catback). Was on the fence with an exhaust for the '18 but traded in for the '21 before that happened. Not a fan of the EB exhaust note, so won't be going with one.

OP
OP
TruckGuy2020

TruckGuy2020

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150
Occupation
Military
Waiting on S&B to release theirs. Installed a dry filter one in my '18 5.0 and loved it. Best result I noticed of any CAI I've used ('00 4.2V6 Airaid/Flow Delta50 SIDO, '03 4.6V8 Volant/Flow Delta50 SIDO, '11 5.0 K&N/Flow Delta50 SISO catback). Was on the fence with an exhaust for the '18 but traded in for the '21 before that happened. Not a fan of the EB exhaust note, so won't be going with one.
I’ve looked a lot at the S&B dry filter, what’s weird is it’s the only dry filter aftermarket CAI that isn’t washable and needs to be replaced at the cost of $70/filter plus tax and shipping of course. How often did the filters tend to last you on your 18?

Sponsored

F150ROD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 XLT on Order/Mazda Roadster Club/Model 3
Occupation
U.S. Navy Retired/Student
I'm waiting on Cobb to approve all their 2020 items for the 2021

BigShan808

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 STX FX4 2.7 EB SCrew
I’ve looked a lot at the S&B dry filter, what’s weird is it’s the only dry filter aftermarket CAI that isn’t washable and needs to be replaced at the cost of $70/filter plus tax and shipping of course. How often did the filters tend to last you on your 18?
I had it on for roughly 15k before trading it in. Where I live on island is new construction and crop fields, so it's dusty on the regular. The filter was fairly clean other than light dust on it. I would have run it another 15k minimum. $70 is pennies considering what other money we tend to drop on these trucks. I question a whole bunch of other member's choice of mods to drop their money on. To each his own, I prefer the dry filter cause it's what I like. My choice is not yours. The design of the S&B box held more weight in my decision to go with them.

Doyouevenboost

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2002 Subaru, 21 f150 502a ecoboost
Occupation
Utility maintenance worker
I'm waiting on Cobb to approve all their 2020 items for the 2021
Have you heard any word on the accesports? Coming from the Subaru world I fell in love with their product!

jjax56

First Name
Jax
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 2.7 XLT Agate Black
Occupation
PM
I have the Roush CAI and the Borla S Type Dual Rear Exit cat back system.

My truck is lifted on 34”s so my fuel economy already took a nose dive from 20 down to like 17. With the added Roush CAI, I did not see any fuel economy gains, but also no real loss. I tend to drive in ECO for both highway and around town. When I added the Borla, my MPG fell to 16 because I couldnt keep my foot off the damn gas.

Ive had the cat-back for three weeks now and Im getting 16.4mpg. If I could do it all over, I wouldnt have gotten the Roush as it was $430 cash and just seems like there’s no real benefit in my setup. Everyone’s setup is different though so YMMV.

OP
OP
TruckGuy2020

TruckGuy2020

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150
Occupation
Military
I have the Roush CAI and the Borla S Type Dual Rear Exit cat back system.

My truck is lifted on 34”s so my fuel economy already took a nose dive from 20 down to like 17. With the added Roush CAI, I did not see any fuel economy gains, but also no real loss. I tend to drive in ECO for both highway and around town. When I added the Borla, my MPG fell to 16 because I couldnt keep my foot off the damn gas.

Ive had the cat-back for three weeks now and Im getting 16.4mpg. If I could do it all over, I wouldnt have gotten the Roush as it was $430 cash and just seems like there’s no real benefit in my setup. Everyone’s setup is different though so YMMV.
that’s actually the same exact setup I have now too, hard to see it’s effects on MPG since the weather and driving conditions tend to vary. I wanted the S&B CAI over the Roush but Roush works with ford and I wanted to make sure there are no warranty or turbo damage issues down to road for less than OEM quality filtration. I live the Borla S-type.

Sponsored

F150ROD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 XLT on Order/Mazda Roadster Club/Model 3
Occupation
U.S. Navy Retired/Student
Have you heard any word on the accesports? Coming from the Subaru world I fell in love with their product!
Not Yet, but I am sure it's coming soon. I just ordered their Cat-Back, hopefully the intake is next.

jjax56

First Name
Jax
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 2.7 XLT Agate Black
Occupation
PM
that’s actually the same exact setup I have now too, hard to see it’s effects on MPG since the weather and driving conditions tend to vary. I wanted the S&B CAI over the Roush but Roush works with ford and I wanted to make sure there are no warranty or turbo damage issues down to road for less than OEM quality filtration. I live the Borla S-type.
Yeah the S Type is not bad at all. It's got a mean growl but no annoyance at all. It took me a little while to get used to the interior noise around town (1.5-2k RPMs), as the truck used to be pretty quiet just scooting around. I also used to only really keep the drive mode in Normal- but switching to ECO, I like how the RPM's are managed and it's not like ready to blast off soon as you step on gas. On the highway, once I hit like 65-70 its almost silent-no drone at all. I couldn't imagine having the ATAK Dual Rear Exit and cold starting with the back end facing my garage- YIKES. My neighbors would definitely hate me haha.
Sponsored