Sponsored

Bed storage / organization -- plastic chest that sits along the front bed wall and still fits under a tonneau cover

marekjk

First Name
Marek
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23’ F150 Powerboost Lariat
I have some tools and emergency supplies that I always keep in my truck bed. Currently, that stuff is in a flimsy fabric organizer and tool bag.

Im looking for a plastic chest that sits along the front bed wall and still fits under a tonneau cover.

I’ve found some overpriced flimsy chests that reviewers say end up with warped covers for 130-150.

On the other side, there’s a super heavy duty pelican cross bed chest that is 500 bucks.

Guess I’m looking for something in between my two examples, any suggestions?
Sponsored

scott011422

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F-150 Lariat 502a PB 7.2k 4x4 157"
Occupation
Engineer
I have some tools and emergency supplies that I always keep in my truck bed. Currently, that stuff is in a flimsy fabric organizer and tool bag.

Im looking for a plastic chest that sits along the front bed wall and still fits under a tonneau cover.

I’ve found some overpriced flimsy chests that reviewers say end up with warped covers for 130-150.

On the other side, there’s a super heavy duty pelican cross bed chest that is 500 bucks.

I'm also super interested. Currently im fabbing some mounts that go behind the BoxLink brackets that I'll be able to add some Slide-N-Lock tie down brackets to. Then I'll be chopping up a Crossover toolbox to fit between those rails and under my Retrax cover. Not only does it give me a nice bed length tie down system, But I'll be able to slide the toolbox anywhere in the bed.

I would much rather just buy something. How can nobody make a flush mount/between rail toolbox that doesn't go down to the bed floor??? I'm going to have to cut 7 inches out of the middle of the toolbox to shorten it to be roughly 54" long. Then cut 9" off the bottom so when mounted, its the same depth of the Retrax box. Will give me plenty of storage for that I need.

That case from pelican is very nice, But not alot of sizes, and no good way to mount one yet. I'm using a pelican case now, But since it sits on the floor its always in the way.

UNIKRN150

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Pinto SE 4x4
I bought the UnderCover SE Tonneau and the Decked Drawer System for my new business as a Technician carrying fairly small, extremely valuable and sensitive electronic test equipment.

Then I got a job offer I couldn’t pass up that gives me a Company truck for work.

Now I’m thinking about ditching it all and going with a Camper shell.

The Undecover SE is fairly secure AND 100% WATERPROOF, The Decked System is very secure since someone would have to break into the Tonneau, then break into the cab to unlock the Tailgate, then break into the locked drawers.

It’s NOT for everyone but they both serve their purposes well.

OP
OP

marekjk

First Name
Marek
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
I'm considering this:
That BakBox2 looks interesting. Might be a tad small. I have an UnderCover Ultraflex cover installed. I wonder if it would work with BakBox2. Pretty sure the cover I have is very similar to the BakFlip.

Sponsored

OP
OP

marekjk

First Name
Marek
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
I'm also super interested. Currently im fabbing some mounts that go behind the BoxLink brackets that I'll be able to add some Slide-N-Lock tie down brackets to. Then I'll be chopping up a Crossover toolbox to fit between those rails and under my Retrax cover. Not only does it give me a nice bed length tie down system, But I'll be able to slide the toolbox anywhere in the bed.

I would much rather just buy something. How can nobody make a flush mount/between rail toolbox that doesn't go down to the bed floor??? I'm going to have to cut 7 inches out of the middle of the toolbox to shorten it to be roughly 54" long. Then cut 9" off the bottom so when mounted, its the same depth of the Retrax box. Will give me plenty of storage for that I need.

That case from pelican is very nice, But not alot of sizes, and no good way to mount one yet. I'm using a pelican case now, But since it sits on the floor its always in the way.
I might end up dishing out the 500 bucks for the Pelican bx255 case if there isn’t anything better. Then I’d use the truck’s box link to tie it down instead of spending another 200+ bucks for the pelican mounting system. It’s just a bit overkill. The Pelican case itself weighs 39 lbs empty. I’m not as worried about bed space for my needs.

m_bt54

First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Lariat Powerboost Hybrid
Occupation
IT Director
Check out the Rubbermaid Action Packer. It’s what I use and love it. Completely water tight. Lockable. And I can put it in my back seat easily if I need to fill my bed up. They have a bunch of different sizes. I have the 35 gallon one because I happened to come across it in the Walmart clearance aisle

Atlee

First Name
Erroll
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Power Boost, XLT 302A, 4x4, SCrew, 6.5' bed
Occupation
retired

I just use a combination of plastic tubs and heavy concrete mixing pans to keep all the stuff I want when towing the TT.
Ford F-150 Bed storage / organization -- plastic chest that sits along the front bed wall and still fits under a tonneau cover IMG_20220305_121534960
Ford F-150 Bed storage / organization -- plastic chest that sits along the front bed wall and still fits under a tonneau cover IMG_20220305_121838638

STMF420

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
XLT 5.0 V8 4WD
I just use a combination of plastic tubs and heavy concrete mixing pans to keep all the stuff I want when towing the TT.
IMG_20220305_121534960.jpg
IMG_20220305_121838638.jpg
Haven't gotten my truck yet, but as I am looking at the things I want to do to it I agree with Atlee. My storage needs will change often so why not just go with some generic tubs or trays & save the big money for the more important things. Now if you're jobbing out of the truck, using the same tools and materials everyday then some job specific storage is probably worth it.

OP
OP

marekjk

First Name
Marek
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Check out the Rubbermaid Action Packer. It’s what I use and love it. Completely water tight. Lockable. And I can put it in my back seat easily if I need to fill my bed up. They have a bunch of different sizes. I have the 35 gallon one because I happened to come across it in the Walmart clearance aisle
Think I’ll go with one of theses. Not too flimsy and not too pricey. Perfect. Thanks!

Sponsored

m_bt54

First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Lariat Powerboost Hybrid
Occupation
IT Director
Ideally there would be a way to organize inside the box but I use a few random bags that work pretty well. I keep a bunch of IT equipment including a couple expensive Fluke testers as well as a hard hat, steel toe boots and other PPE, plus some spare clothes, running shoes and clothes, plus tie downs and it is perfect for all that.

I keep it anchored to the back of my bed with a ratchet strap and it doesn’t move or make any noise.

SomebodyInGNV

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 F150 4WD 301A 3.5L w/ HDPP
Occupation
retired
I'm considering this: [BakBox]
I've had one for years and like it. The screw holes in the box weren't aligned well in the jig at the factory and don't match the holes in the support bracket. Not a big deal (I've never bothered to fix it) but not impressive QA, considering the cost.

Also, the Velcro that secures the folding part comes off pretty fast. I never bothered but a couple of very short screws with finish washers would fix that.

The folding feature is handy but I don't use it much. If you need the space to maximize bed length you have to move everything you store in the box somewhere else, so you can fold it. If you store it in the bed you're still using that amount of space, and now it's loose. My stuff ends up in the back seat or in the garage.

First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
302a crew - 6'5" Sport, Max Tow, FX4
Great suggestions. Glad to have some brand names / links to look up cause I didn't want to google 'plastic chest' on my work computer....

BigShan808

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 STX FX4 2.7 EB SCrew
Loved the Action Packers until they only come with the gray cover now. A little much but am a little OCD and anal retentive and like the clean matched look with the black cover and a pop of red from the handles. The gray/black/red combo just isn't my style! Lol
Sponsored