Sponsored

Bed Rack above Tonneau

scuba

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 F150 Lariat PB Mid Front Bench, 2013 E350 4x4
Looks like you have the Thule TracRac SR.
Glad it works for you!

IMO, the compatible accessories are minimal though (isn’t a T-slot system) and unfortunately the vertical uprights come in only one height. Not ideal for what I need it for. Thanks for sharing though!
@jj4567 What did you end-up doing? I'm trying to cut-off my research as well. I went with the short bed already knowing I'd want more bed, but the retraxotherwise is great.
Sponsored

OP
OP

jj4567

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F-150
@jj4567 What did you end-up doing? I'm trying to cut-off my research as well. I went with the short bed already knowing I'd want more bed, but the retraxotherwise is great.
RetraxPro XR arrived with broken piece.
Second one (first replacement) arrived with same broken piece. Third one (second replacement) was a charm -no issues. Finally installed today. Regarding which T-slot accessory to purchase, I haven’t decided yet. Need to spend a few days with the tonneau cover first.

Itsjustmd

First Name
Jayce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Powerboost Platinum
RetraxPro XR arrived with broken piece.
Second one (first replacement) arrived with same broken piece. Third one (second replacement) was a charm -no issues. Finally installed today. Regarding which T-slot accessory to purchase, I haven’t decided yet. Need to spend a few days with the tonneau cover first.
My RetraxPro XR came with a broken piece as well. Rather than get a full replacement, Retrax just shipped the part for me. I was impressed with the service. I love the cover.

scuba

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
The positives on retrax are good to hear. I just purchased the powertrax MX w/ expedited shipping and should be installing this Friday. One puzzling aspect was the "with / without stake pockets" language on these rails. From about 30 min trying to figure it out:

1. I found references on a third party site for one version designed for trucks with stake pockets and a separate version for "trucks without."
2. (However) From reading on retrax's site , it looks like each of the available rail types cover the stake pockets. (at least for the F150).

Let me know if anyone has found rails that *don't* cover the stake pockets, as I could have sworn I saw a picture of rails that were cut around the pockets, now lost at some point in my 50 open tabs of tonneau research.

PS On-topic, The XR versions make sense for about $100 more, but the MX (without T-tracks) version looked like a lower, more even profile on the rail, and we like to sit on the rail more than we need a RTT at this point.

PPS Just so everyone has the benefit, I researched the roll N Rock retractable (E-Series) for comparison b/c it appears to have a slimmer canister. There were slightly more reports of leaking (in my non-scientific google searching), so (it was close) I went w/ retrax.

FrankThompson

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'07 Pontiac Solstice GXP, '22 F150 Lariat PB
Occupation
Solutions Architect
Retrax should offer with and without cutouts for the stake pockets.

However, at least on the retrax mx pros I have where I accidentally ordered them without the cutouts, retrax told me I could cut them out myself if I wanted to without messing with the structural integrity of the cover.

I have yet to do that to mime but it is nice to know there is an option. They said just paint any exposed metal after cutting them.l (I believe it is all aluminum so I guess that was more for appearances).

Sponsored

scuba

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Retrax should offer with and without cutouts for the stake pockets.

However, at least on the retrax mx pros I have where I accidentally ordered them without the cutouts, retrax told me I could cut them out myself if I wanted to without messing with the structural integrity of the cover.

I have yet to do that to mime but it is nice to know there is an option. They said just paint any exposed metal after cutting them.l (I believe it is all aluminum so I guess that was more for appearances).
Ok-- thanks. I guess falls in the category of 'anything is possible with time and a grinder' but this was helpful that you asked them, and they cleared the user to just cut them out. Based on that I'll assume that's the only difference (though on my beautiful new truck, it would be nice to have the store-bought look).

Kodiak

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F-150 Lariat PB 7.2k, 4x4 502a Atlas Blue BAP
Front Runner is a company that makes some nice T Slot racks and rails. They look like they offer a number of different heights if you want a lower profile over the cover. I have no experience with them but they might be worth a look.

I will probably be getting a Diamondback and Front Runner works with them.

scuba

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
I called retrax and they told me they no longer make rails with cut-outs for stake pockets, FWIW.

dkevox

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Evo X, F150
Front Runner is a company that makes some nice T Slot racks and rails. They look like they offer a number of different heights if you want a lower profile over the cover. I have no experience with them but they might be worth a look.

I will probably be getting a Diamondback and Front Runner works with them.
Nevermind, found the front runner mount on Diamondback's website. Thanks for the info!

Last edited:

gendibal

First Name
M
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ordered: 2022 F150 Platinum PB
I found a great deal on a Pace Edwards Ultragroove plus Thule rack combo. Waiting for it to arrive now, fingers crossed everything is good.

Sponsored

OP
OP

jj4567

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F-150

Itsjustmd

First Name
Jayce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Powerboost Platinum
I’m leaning towards the the Vortex AeroCrossbar by Rhino Rack: RLT600 + VA180B(2).
I just bought these last week and put them on. I really like them. Got them from Amazon so I could put a storage carrier over the bed when my dogs are riding back there. They attach and detach very easily. I got the storage carrier mounted to it and then just took the bars off so now I can just put the whole thing on without mounting the storage carrier again. That's going to be much easier than sitting out in the sun trying to mount the thing.

OP
OP

jj4567

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F-150
Ordered the Vortex AeroCrossbar by Rhino Rack: RLT600 + VA180B(2). Should arrive in a few days.

Next problem to solve: If I want to secure something random to the bars that requires tie-down straps, what do I attach the tie-downs to (assuming RetraxPro XR is closed, so I cannot reach BoxLink cleats)?

The Truxedo Tie-Down Kit is an option: 4x T-slot cleats, $69. Part TRX-1118469 at RealTruck, or Part TH52FR at eTrailer. My only concern with these cleats is that they sit low - hooked in tie-down straps may impede the RetraxPro from opening and closing.

Any thoughts/recommendations out there?

SudS2k

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Powerboost Lariat High, S2000
Occupation
Real Estate Investor
Just got through reading all these posts and glad I'm not alone in this... I visited my local LineX who installed the Bak Mx4 on my short bed, and told them I wanted a t bar rail. I showed them the install guide for the elevate rails and they said it may work, but it may be tight on the clearance. They said I may have to remove the seal used on the Back rail where it meets the bedside. So going with elevate, although economical, may reduce water tightness.

The only thing holding me back is not being able to find compatible roof racks that will meet at the same height of adjustable t bar racks. Honestly, I feel like I'm spending more time than this is worth. I'm primarily looking to mount e-bikes and canoes, not at the same time.

OP
OP

jj4567

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F-150
Had the same concerns with the Elevate rails pinching folding tonneau cover. Went with RetraxPro XR, Rhino Rack Vortex crossbars (low height, T-slot), and Truxedo Elevate crossbars (adjustable higher height, T-slot). Expensive solution, but RealTruck POC offered me a great price (shared in separate post). No regrets!
Sponsored