Sponsored

Bed Liner Options

longbow42

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Audi A8L, Ford F150 Platinum PowerBoost
In anticipation of my truck being built this week, it appears there can be quite significant delays on accessories so I'm looking to get moving on ordering some stuff. One of the options I didn't choose was any liner for my truck. I did this to ensure I had my payload goal, but also I just didn't know which route to go. Looking for some insights into the options for truck bed liners, pros and cons:

1. Line X/Rhino Liner type stuff: I personally don't like this because they scratch everything. The main thing I store in my bed will be my golf clubs and moving them in and out they will just get beat up, let alone anything else that goes in the bed. But I'm curious, should this still be considered an option if doing the other liner styles for long term protection?
  2. Rubberized bed mat: What I'm concerned about here is that they don't protect the side walls if you've moving stuff in and out, using a shovel, etc. For people that use these, do you also have the spray in liner?
  3. Plastic drop in: My last truck was a tacoma that had this option, and I generally liked it, things slide in and out easy, it's easy to clean, etc But it seems like many people don't recommend this, I'm curious why?
  4. Carpet system: These look pretty good, they protect the whole bed, but I've never seen/used them. For those that have them, when you need to haul dirt/rock that kind of stuff, does it perform fine with a shovel/broom beating into them? Again, is the bed underneath protected long term with this option or do people do the spray in liner as well?

So I guess I'm looking for what people like and why they chose that route. What is best for long term truck protection, what is best for protecting cargo, etc. Once I narrow down to what route I want to go, I'll have to research the best option in that group.
I'm having my new truck line-X'd Friday and also ordered the Black Armour mat as well to solve the scratchiness issue.
Sponsored

KBKEITH

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F-150 XLT SCREW 5.5, BAP, 3.5EB
Nice job! I suppose their official version might wrap around that raised area and have the panel mount on top of the plastic? They told me it wasn't modifiable...you've proved them wrong!
Thanks for the kind words. Yeah, it’ll be interesting to see how they do it.

Good luck in your bed liner decision. Lots of options out there!

OP
OP

uavmx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee
At this point I'm thinking bedrug considering the price and protection. I don't see the need to linex in combo with it, all other options I think I would feel inclined to do linex and a mat, or carpet, etc.

mnstang

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 Lariat PB Leadfoot
Occupation
US Gov
I'm having my new truck line-X'd Friday and also ordered the Black Armour mat as well to solve the scratchiness issue.
Exactly what I did.
I second this approach. I got the spray in liner with a rough country rubber bed mat. With all the animals that find their way into the back of my truck during hunting season I need something that is easy to spray out. Now just waiting on the truck to ship! STILL hasn’t shipped. Built over a month ago now.

Sponsored

Asphaltman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150, 2021 F150, 2018 F-150 1997 F-250H
Occupation
Entrepreneur
In anticipation of my truck being built this week, it appears there can be quite significant delays on accessories so I'm looking to get moving on ordering some stuff. One of the options I didn't choose was any liner for my truck. I did this to ensure I had my payload goal, but also I just didn't know which route to go. Looking for some insights into the options for truck bed liners, pros and cons:

1. Line X/Rhino Liner type stuff: I personally don't like this because they scratch everything. The main thing I store in my bed will be my golf clubs and moving them in and out they will just get beat up, let alone anything else that goes in the bed. But I'm curious, should this still be considered an option if doing the other liner styles for long term protection?
  2. Rubberized bed mat: What I'm concerned about here is that they don't protect the side walls if you've moving stuff in and out, using a shovel, etc. For people that use these, do you also have the spray in liner?
  3. Plastic drop in: My last truck was a tacoma that had this option, and I generally liked it, things slide in and out easy, it's easy to clean, etc But it seems like many people don't recommend this, I'm curious why?
  4. Carpet system: These look pretty good, they protect the whole bed, but I've never seen/used them. For those that have them, when you need to haul dirt/rock that kind of stuff, does it perform fine with a shovel/broom beating into them? Again, is the bed underneath protected long term with this option or do people do the spray in liner as well?

So I guess I'm looking for what people like and why they chose that route. What is best for long term truck protection, what is best for protecting cargo, etc. Once I narrow down to what route I want to go, I'll have to research the best option in that group.
I got the drop in liner from Ford. I generally will get a drop in liner from a local supply place, but I ordered this time trying to save a couple of minutes. I prefer the drop in liners over the spray in because I feel like gives more protection to the bed. From time to time I have 5 gallon buckets of paint that get loaded into my truck, so the drop in liner prevents dings and dents that a lot of the spray in liner‘s cannot prevent. I also like the fact that in the event it gets damaged or ruined, a couple hundred dollars and I can have a new one. It’s much Harder if not impossible to fix a spray in liner.

blueovalguy

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Lariat Powerboost
I have a bed rug in my 2010 that I’m trading in. Has never had a cover on it, and installed it week 1. Thing has had dirt, animals, rocks, equipment, you name it in it and still performs and looks like day one. The dirt is a bit tough to vacuum out (if you care to even do so, I got lazy and didn’t care as time went on).
My fear is I emailed bedrug and they said they have no provisions for the LED lights, pro power panel, and tailgate work center. Has anyone else encountered this? I’m debating line-x with just the bed rug mat if they can’t accommodate all the new features.

Acob720

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
4Runner
Occupation
Marketing Director
I went for spray-in bedliner - although the bed is aluminum and wouldn't rust, I would hate to look at a scratched up bed over time and use *but* I teamed that with a BedRug Bedmat - cheapish and takes seconds to remove if I want to transport something messy, but there to protect my knees or MTB frame etc.
This is the way to roll!

Smitdog

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Limited PowerBoost Smoked Quartz
Occupation
Gainfully Retired
For those that have experience with either a Black Armor rubber mat or BedRug, how easy is it to slide heavy item in the bed?

I find it very helpful at times to be able to slide items in the bed as opposed to lifting and moving them. I'm thinking that any type of rubber mat will prevent easy sliding (with the benefit however of helping to keep stuff in place when needed).

OP
OP

uavmx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee
I have a bed rug in my 2010 that I’m trading in. Has never had a cover on it, and installed it week 1. Thing has had dirt, animals, rocks, equipment, you name it in it and still performs and looks like day one. The dirt is a bit tough to vacuum out (if you care to even do so, I got lazy and didn’t care as time went on).
My fear is I emailed bedrug and they said they have no provisions for the LED lights, pro power panel, and tailgate work center. Has anyone else encountered this? I’m debating line-x with just the bed rug mat if they can’t accommodate all the new features.
I'm going with bedrug at this point. They do have 2021 listed but there were no options to select.....I think someone else in the forum installed already, I think they just removed the propower panel and cut it to fit. Didn't think about LEDs.... Hopefully someone on this forum can confirm their install with those items. I'm perfectly comfortable modifying it if needed

Sponsored

blueovalguy

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Lariat Powerboost
For those that have experience with either a Black Armor rubber mat or BedRug, how easy is it to slide heavy item in the bed?
I love the bedrug for this purpose. I haul stuff around quite a bit and it has more friction than a spray in which I think helps the load from moving, but once you start sliding something even a pallet it slides nice. I would buy another one in an instant if I could figure out what to do with the tailgate worksurface. Maybe just cut the tailgate part off? Would love pics of it installed on a 21’

longbow42

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Audi A8L, Ford F150 Platinum PowerBoost

I find it very helpful at times to be able to slide items in the bed as opposed to lifting and moving them. I'm thinking that any type of rubber mat will prevent easy sliding (with the benefit however of helping to keep stuff in place when needed).
My Black Armour mat is arriving tomorrow so will see. I had the bed Line-X'd on Friday.

syne7

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Limited PowerBoost (Hybrid)

Just installed my Black Armour Bed Liner, its a bit heavy and "dead weight" but pretty easy to install, very similar to the install video, but I aligned mine and rolled it out. This thing is thick, and smells of tires (as does my truck), after about 3 days the smell has diminished greatly and is mostly gone. I had it in when I installed my Leer HF650M Tonneau cover and my knees were very happy with the feel.

Jason

Ford F-150 Bed Liner Options Black Armour Bed mat

zdjelar

First Name
Saša
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Limited (AMB)
Occupation
Energy
My Black Armour mat is arriving tomorrow so will see. I had the bed Line-X'd on Friday.
Did you go with the Premium Line-X? How do you feel about how they handled taking everything off, all screws/bolts back, any stripped/abused? That’s my worry. Tempted to just do all the removal or parts myself.

Craiger

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 xlt sport 5.0
Occupation
trucker
I went with spray in an impact mat bed rug just on the bottom and a retraks aluminum retracting tonneau cover.
Sponsored