• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Battery Theft

HtownHog

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2019 Kia Stinger GT2, 2018 BMW 540i M-Sport
I was being a bit dramatic. I agree with your general point that car jacking like most illegal activities is about maximizing reward/risk ratio. All I am saying is that batteries increase the reward so I would not be surprised if car jackers are willing to take more risk. Although most as you said like to reduce friction, that is not necessarily the case with all:
https://www.foxbusiness.com/lifestyle/tesla-foils-navy-sailor-carjacker-attempt

As cars become more of a laptop over wheels, bad guys will try to reduce risk by hacking more than kidnapping and it will be more of the battle of the nerds rather than the tough guys:
https://electrek.co/2021/11/11/tesla-owners-warned-police-targeted-professional-thieves/
risk/reward is key. Cat theft is quick and pretty untraceable for the most part. Only way to cross reference the cat and vehicle is to match cut marks on the exhaust.

battery theft at least early on will be low reward. While the pack is valuable it is mostly valuable as an assembly, they won’t be selling it to scrap dealers for reclaim. As the vehicles age out and dealer repair % starts dropping you might see a market for independent mechanics trying to source packs, but I also bet the pack will be physically and electronically serialized.
Sponsored

astricklin

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
99 Mercury mountaineer
risk/reward is key. Cat theft is quick and pretty untraceable for the most part. Only way to cross reference the cat and vehicle is to match cut marks on the exhaust.

battery theft at least early on will be low reward. While the pack is valuable it is mostly valuable as an assembly, they won’t be selling it to scrap dealers for reclaim. As the vehicles age out and dealer repair % starts dropping you might see a market for independent mechanics trying to source packs, but I also bet the pack will be physically and electronically serialized.
Tesla battery modules to be used for bev conversions are quite expensive, a single 5kwh module goes for $1300 or about $26k for a 100kwh pack.

bboy_72

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Lightning
Y’all are covering some worry wart stuff here. You’ve got a long ways to go before the truck actually gets here. Wondering what concerns will be raised in a few months!

VeganF150

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 F150 Platinum
The Lightning pack is 1800lbs. Kinda hard to just walk off with that

Sponsored

astricklin

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
99 Mercury mountaineer
The Lightning pack is 1800lbs. Kinda hard to just walk off with that
Yup, they're just gonna steal the whole vehicle. Ford should implement pin to drive like Tesla has. Heck, they should implement this on every vehicle that has push button ignition.

powerboost

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Lariat 4x4 Powerboost loaded
Occupation
retired technician
What about disconnecting the "push button start" electrically and then hiding another one that is plugged in under dash in a hidden yet reachable spot. Even if thief has fob code it still won't start. Or park rig with power seat far forward and backrest tipped as far forward as it goes and then have hidden switch that disconnects power to seat motors. If you can't get between seat and wheel, kinda hard to drive away.

jefro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150, Corvette, Bolt EV,
There are some bluetooth 12v batteries that can be disconnected via software. Not sure how well these EV's do, some web pages suggest it's the first step to fix glitches in software.

A web article from DetNews has the local crooks finding a way to bypass the key fob. They wouldn't go after the fob code, they were able to reprogram the car to take their new coded fob. Hope Ford has a way to disconnect power in secret.
I had my wife put here 3/4 ton 4x4 in it's neutral setting assuming common crook might not know how to put it back in gear in McAllen.

67440dodge

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 F150 XL on order 67 Dodge Coronet 440
Occupation
Retired
And soon everyone will follow Tesla's lead with their new cars where the battery is the chassis of the vehicle.. once it wears out you gotta replace the whole vehicle..
Yup, they're just gonna steal the whole vehicle. Ford should implement pin to drive like Tesla has. Heck, they should implement this on every vehicle that has push button ignition.
Heck, Tesla is supposedly working on a new model where the battery pack IS the chassis of the car... so to get the battery you'll have to take the whole shebang..

And once the pack wears out in 4-5yrs, new car time!
In this area stolen trucks/SUV's wind up in one place... a cargo container in Bayonne headed for the Middle East...

OP
OP
Maxx

Maxx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23 Pro, Sky RL, Frontier, Aurora V8, Buicks, ....
And soon everyone will follow Tesla's lead with their new cars where the battery is the chassis of the vehicle.. once it wears out you gotta replace the whole vehicle..

Heck, Tesla is supposedly working on a new model where the battery pack IS the chassis of the car... so to get the battery you'll have to take the whole shebang..

And once the pack wears out in 4-5yrs, new car time!
Structural does not necessarily mean frame and battery are inseparable. It just means Battery pack helps the rigidity of the car/truck. It still could be bolted to the frame or front and rear cast. What you suggest does not make sense for Tesla either especially with 4680 being new there is always a chance for recall due to battery pack failing. They would want to be able to replace it during warranty period. What may be more difficult than GM’s Ultium or other packs is that a lot of them are glued together and if there is a problem, you may have to replace the whole pack instead of a module. At least that is my understanding.

Sponsored

67440dodge

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 F150 XL on order 67 Dodge Coronet 440
Occupation
Retired
Structural does not necessarily mean frame and battery are inseparable. It just means Battery pack helps the rigidity of the car/truck. It still could be bolted to the frame or front and rear cast. What you suggest does not make sense for Tesla either especially with 4680 being new there is always a chance for recall due to battery pack failing. They would want to be able to replace it during warranty period. What may be more difficult than GM’s Ultium or other packs is that a lot of them are glued together and if there is a problem, you may have to replace the whole pack instead of a module. At least that is my understanding.
I'm not 100% sure to be honest how Tesla (or any manufacturer) plans to go about batter replacement. All I saw was a blurb in a article and a picture showing the battery pack/frame combo on 4 wheels. Perhaps they'll go the old VW Beetle route and bolt the body to the chassis and just swap everything out.

astricklin

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
99 Mercury mountaineer
I'm not 100% sure to be honest how Tesla (or any manufacturer) plans to go about batter replacement. All I saw was a blurb in a article and a picture showing the battery pack/frame combo on 4 wheels. Perhaps they'll go the old VW Beetle route and bolt the body to the chassis and just swap everything out.
A Tesla battery is certainly replaceable. Always has and always will be. One advantage of an electric vehicle is that the motors themselves should basically last forever so you'll eventually have to replace the battery but everything else will still be going

SteffanG

First Name
Steffan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2011 Audi Q5 (written off), 2008 F150 XLT HDPP
Occupation
Electrician
A Tesla battery is certainly replaceable. Always has and always will be. One advantage of an electric vehicle is that the motors themselves should basically last forever so you'll eventually have to replace the battery but everything else will still be going
Uhhh no Tesla drive units do not last forever. I'm not sure if they fixed it now, but the earlier versions had A LOT of bearing failures (some cars had the drive unit replaced 4 times under warranty).

MickeyAO

First Name
Mickey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rapid Red Lightning Lariat ER, Kia EV6 GT-Line AWD
Occupation
Lab Manager of the Energy Storage Technology Center
Uhhh no Tesla drive units do not last forever. I'm not sure if they fixed it now, but the earlier versions had A LOT of bearing failures (some cars had the drive unit replaced 4 times under warranty).
If your company wants to join several of our consortiums, you can find out exactly how long the Tesla motors last and what different fluids do to the life of the motors! Sorry, no private individuals can join a consortium.

MickeyAO

First Name
Mickey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rapid Red Lightning Lariat ER, Kia EV6 GT-Line AWD
Occupation
Lab Manager of the Energy Storage Technology Center
As someone that drops a lot of EV batteries (and takes them apart down to the cell level...with no documentation from the manufacturers), it is not a quick and easy job to steal one.
Sponsored