Balanced Out, no Ford for you!

lacartus

First Name
Ian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Explorer ST, 2021 F150 PB
Got the bad news today. My order from March 2022 has been balanced out, which I'm told means they aren't going to build my 2022 PB. I asked the dealer, Koons, about moving it to a 2023 and I'm told they can't give the forum pricing (5% under invoice) on a 2023. I could buy down the road at MSRP, but it's just not worth it to me. Lesson learned, don't count on a Ford order.
Sponsored

Donnelly713

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 XLT
man that's messed up they can't honor the deal- have the other guys (Grainger, Chapman) but doing similar things on their 22 to 23 orders??

hotrodmex

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 Lariat 500.5a
I asked the dealer, Koons, about moving it to a 2023 and I'm told they can't give the forum pricing (5% under invoice) on a 2023.
Like, Y tho?

That doesn't make sense to me. They would sell you the truck if it was the last '22 off the line at 5% off, but not if it was the first '23 off the line? It's a percentage off; they lose nothing by selling you the '23 at the higher price for the same 5% discount.

Matt99

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 Raptor 2022 Lightning
Occupation
Anesthetist
Like, Y tho?

That doesn't make sense to me. They would sell you the truck if it was the last '22 off the line at 5% off, but not if it was the first '23 off the line? It's a percentage off; they lose nothing by selling you the '23 at the higher price for the same 5% discount.
It might be an allocation thing rather than 5% off issue. All of their early 2023 allocations might be spoken for so they can't offer him a truck?

From what I've read (which is mostly speculation), not all 2022 allocations were transitioned to 2023 allocations. I won't pretend to understand the allocation and production models that they use, as we rely on leaked info and some of it seems to have no predictable order at all.

tbinmd

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 KR F150

Sponsored

OP
OP
lacartus

lacartus

First Name
Ian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Apparently, Koons is no longer able to offer forum pricing on 2023 F150s due to a change with Ford.
Derek, feel free to clarify, and keep my order open for a 2023. :)
@koons_woodbridge_ford

Snakebitten

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 KingRanch Powerboost
Getting the pricing that you are willing to pay is far from the only obstacle faced getting a new vehicle of your choice these days.
The new norm is really an amazing transition in such a short period of time in history.

For 60+ years of my 65 years on this planet you could wake up on Saturday morning and decide that you were going to buy a new car/truck that day. You might go to the same place you have purchased from before, or you might visit 2 or 3 places and browse the lot for what you had in mind.
But you'd be driving that new truck to church tomorrow.

Today? This Saturday?
You'd pour a cup of coffee and go to the manufacturers digital buffet and configure one as a pdf file. Then roll the dice by handing the file to someone else to turn it in, because you can't. From that moment on you are at the mercy of countless opportunities to disappoint you. Constraints on the buffet ingredients you were presented, scheduling black holes counted in MONTHS, shipping and delivery with no tracking assurance, and finally a potential last minute broken promise of the original negotiation........

The whole thing can be a brutal experience if you let it be more important than it should be. I can only suggest that you NOT let it be.

Be willing NOT to buy if........

hotrodmex

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 Lariat 500.5a
It's my understanding that Ford changed things on the back end for dealers.
Koons is no longer able to offer forum pricing on 2023 F150s due to a change with Ford.
Ah, yes, this reminded me of the post from Granger about how allocations have changed.

Granger Ford said:
Just a quick update. The allocation situation for Ford has been changed slightly for the 2023 model year. We are not guaranteed an additional piece of allocation for a retail order through the COVP system with Ford starting this coming month.
https://www.f150gen14.com/forum/thr...0-order-granger-ford.11700/page-5#post-253310

So since dealerships basically have to eat into their stock allotment with orders, they don't get their lot-stock to put ADMs on charge MSRP. I would guess this only affects dealers that haven't gone all-in on Granger's strategy for one reason or another. No fault to them then, I guess.

Snakebitten

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
I am only imagining the reason(s) for any changes, but if it's to thwart the kind of efforts dealerships like Grainger make in order to NOT play the ADM game and thus not view every potential buyer as an economic adversary.......... Well, you know where I'm going with this.

Perhaps I'm wrong in my assumptions but Ford should applaud the dealership that makes their customers not feel taken advantage of in the supply/demand fiasco that is current.

Or put another way, a dealership shouldn't be punished via reduced allotments because they are succeeding in competition.

Last edited:

Matt99

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 Raptor 2022 Lightning
Occupation
Anesthetist
I am only imagining the reason(s) for any changes, but if it's to thwart the kind of efforts dealerships like Grainger make in order to NOT play the ADM game and thus not view every potential buyer as an economic adversary.......... Well, you know where I'm going with this.

Perhaps I'm wrong in my assumptions but Ford should applaud the dealership that makes their customers not feel taken advantage of in the supply/demand fiasco that is current.

Or put another way, a dealership shouldn't be punished via reduced allotments because they are succeeding in competition.
I agree with everything you said. All I can assume is that with a reduced inventory, Ford could be trying to more evenly distribute vehicles so the small dealerships don’t go out of business.

Sponsored

emmafrank87

First Name
Emma
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
f150
Hopefully our deals with Koons Woodbridge are still good. I have not heard otherwise.

OP
OP
lacartus

lacartus

First Name
Ian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Hopefully our deals with Koons Woodbridge are still good. I have not heard otherwise.
I think if your truck is going to built, you are OK. The trouble appears to be when a 2022 cannot be built due to supply issues (e.g., balanced out) and they don't have/want to use an allocation to roll the truck in MY2023. As others said, for 2023s they are not guaranteed an additional piece of allocation for a retail order through the COVP system, so they would have to use an existing allocation.

I had hoped Koons would use an allocation to roll those orders for folks who have had trucks on order with them for 6+ months, but that does not appear to be the case. I think they will just refund my deposit. :(

emmafrank87

First Name
Emma
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
f150
I ordered an 2023 xlt - so kind of the best of both worlds. :unsure: So I guess no extra allocation for my COVP order. So probably one of the last under invoice orders.
I think if your truck is going to built, you are OK. The trouble appears to be when a 2022 cannot be built due to supply issues (e.g., balanced out) and they don't have/want to use an allocation to roll the truck in MY2023. As others said, for 2023s they are not guaranteed an additional piece of allocation for a retail order through the COVP system, so they would have to use an existing allocation.

I had hoped Koons would use an allocation to roll those orders for folks who have had trucks on order with them for 6+ months, but that does not appear to be the case. I think they will just refund my deposit. :(

Buyer2021

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lariat SuperCab and 2005 XLT SuperCab
Occupation
retired!
Getting the pricing that you are willing to pay is far from the only obstacle faced getting a new vehicle of your choice these days.
The new norm is really an amazing transition in such a short period of time in history.

For 60+ years of my 65 years on this planet you could wake up on Saturday morning and decide that you were going to buy a new car/truck that day. You might go to the same place you have purchased from before, or you might visit 2 or 3 places and browse the lot for what you had in mind.
But you'd be driving that new truck to church tomorrow.

Today? This Saturday?
You'd pour a cup of coffee and go to the manufacturers digital buffet and configure one as a pdf file. Then roll the dice by handing the file to someone else to turn it in, because you can't. From that moment on you are at the mercy of countless opportunities to disappoint you. Constraints on the buffet ingredients you were presented, scheduling black holes counted in MONTHS, shipping and delivery with no tracking assurance, and finally a potential last minute broken promise of the original negotiation........

The whole thing can be a brutal experience if you let it be more important than it should be. I can only suggest that you NOT let it be.

Be willing NOT to buy if........
.... and for those who make it through the brutal purchase-gauntlet you IMO accurately describe, heaven forbid they then find themselves in need of repair service, warranty or otherwise :oops:.

All too often it seems that after-purchase support, both dealer and independent, is now cursed with the same obstacles that make the purchase experience brutal (supply, logistics, and labor shortages, etc).

Methinks that in many situations that's even more brutal, with more significant and unavoidable angst and disruption of daily life, than the purchase-phase trials.

Sure, I'm thrilled with the remarkable advances in vehicles over the last 65 years, but somehow we seem to have recently taken a few steps backwards in regard to some really important aspects of the whole vehicle ownership experience .... :unsure:

Snakebitten

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Well said.

If you are fortunate to end up with the vehicle you desire AND you aren't smarting from the purchase experience, you can breathe a big sigh of relief.

But if you can then be fortunate enough to NOT get a vehicle that requires you to be at the mercy of the so-called Factory Service Department, you are BLESSED!

As for the post suggesting that the recent changes are to protect the smaller (small town) dealership, while I can see that as one way to look at it, I can't help but consider it much differently:

The new phenomenon, of the vast majority of sales being special order, is actually a great equalizer. Why couldn't the small dealership take the same approach and offer handsome pricing compared to the sharks? Thus selling to customers beyond their natural geological footprint?

It's now obvious that this new world order customer is willing to drive, or even fly, to get their $50-80k depreciating asset. 🤣
Sponsored