Sponsored

Bakflip owners! Does it really leak a lot? Is build quality and aluminum shavings a problem for everyone?

drcubanb

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 XLT FX4 Powerboost
See title. I need a tonneau cover and I like the Bakflip but I keep seeing reviews of bad water leakage and production quality issues. I live in Texas and it gets hot as hell. Do these seals really go that quick?
Sponsored

Last edited:

apMechorse

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 502A 5.0L FX4 & '15 Audi A5 T2
Occupation
Aircraft Maintenance Technician
See title. I need a tonneau cover and I like the Bakflip but I keep seeing reviews of bad water leakage and production quality issues. I live in Texas and if gets hot as hell. Do these seals really go that quick?
I wouldn't say it leaks A LOT, but it's definitely not waterproof. More like, water resistant. I too had aluminum shavings all over my MX4, and the plastic end caps at the ends of each hinge keep trying to pop out. I've already lost one of the end caps off of the side rails because of this. In addition to this, one of the retaining clips for the prop rods was broken, and some of the hardware was missing.

I got mine on super discount as a member of the other forum, and I would not have kept it if I had paid retail for it. Even with the discount, it was a tough call to keep it or not. If I had paid almost $1k for it I would have been pissed. Ultimately it was a combination of the discount I got, the excellent customer service I received from Alex at RealTruck, and not wanting to deal with the hassle of returning something that large that I ended up deciding to keep mine as a stop gap until I can find the perfect cover for my needs.

Needless to say, I'm not a huge fan and would not personally recommend it to others.

ZWARRIOR

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Ford F-150 Lariat 501A 2.7l
Occupation
Software Engineer
It hasnt rained since I bought it, however, I have washed my truck by hand with a pressure washer about a dozen times (once a week) and I have not notice much leakage at all, some, sure, but I would not say I am unhappy with it yet.

SuvE

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150
Occupation
Retired
I am happy with mine. No metal shavings or any other defects. The only time I see water inside is after going through the local car wash. The blowers that dry the car are very powerful, and can blow small amounts of water through the tailgate seal and maybe from under the tailgate where there is no seal.

OP
OP
drcubanb

drcubanb

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 XLT FX4 Powerboost
I am happy with mine. No metal shavings or any other defects. The only time I see water inside is after going through the local car wash. The blowers that dry the car are very powerful, and can blow small amounts of water through the tailgate seal and maybe from under the tailgate where there is no seal.
Which model Bakflip do you have?

Sponsored

CommoSGT

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2016 F150 Lariat SCrew, 2021 F150 Lariat SCrew
Occupation
Engineer
I have the MX4 on my 2016 and the only leaks I have had are where I have used a pressure washer near the tailgate and the corners at the top.

TNKIRK

First Name
TERRY
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 FORD F150 LARIAT SUPERCAB
Occupation
R V SALES
Very happy with mine.......I broke a small cover on the end......They sent a replacement......no charge......Revolver X4S

Mr. Zero

First Name
Lou
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 FX4 Platinum
Reviving this older thread. Yes, I had a lot of metal shavings and leakage on my new MX4, along with some other QC issues. See below I posted in another forum.

Just purchased a new MX4 for my '21 Platinum. There are several problems, which is disappointing since I've owned four or fiver other BAKflip covers without any issues.
  • Right rear latch broke on first pull. The cable was not fully inserted and crimped, so it just pulled right out. To their credit, BAK overnighted a replacement cable assembly.
  • When removing the cable assembly to replace it, there were several missing machine screws on the cable covers. There were only two on one end and three on the other (there should have been 4/each). Also missing one of the from the middle cover.
  • The rubber bumpers on the front/outside flat portion of the front panels came off. One just fell off and the other was almost off, so I had to Gorilla glue both of them back on.
  • When looking from the tailgate, the sides don't appear to be very straight. There's a bit of a shift to the left about midway down the cover on each side. Not sure if this contributes to the leakage, which is worse than any other BAK cover I've had.
  • The corner guards/covers are loose, with a lot of wiggle on three of them, and a little wiggle on one. I'm not sure if they're designed to be loose, but it feels like they could come off very easily.
I did send a note to BAK about my concerns, so we'll see what they say. But at this point, I'm not very happy with it. Anyone else have any of these problems? Did you contact BAK and, if so, how did they respond?

rjpicucci

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Crew XL
I get a tiny bit of water ( a line of raindrops across the tailgate) in the tailgate but nothing other than that. I'm pretty sure it's from the top side where the tailgate and sides of the truck meet. I opted for the F1 because I heard the Fiberglass outer shell is more difficult to scratch. I'm sure if I cared enough, I could use a tailgate seal and eliminate that too.

Sponsored

rjpicucci

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Crew XL
Reviving this older thread. Yes, I had a lot of metal shavings and leakage on my new MX4, along with some other QC issues. See below I posted in another forum.

Just purchased a new MX4 for my '21 Platinum. There are several problems, which is disappointing since I've owned four or fiver other BAKflip covers without any issues.
  • Right rear latch broke on first pull. The cable was not fully inserted and crimped, so it just pulled right out. To their credit, BAK overnighted a replacement cable assembly.
  • When removing the cable assembly to replace it, there were several missing machine screws on the cable covers. There were only two on one end and three on the other (there should have been 4/each). Also missing one of the from the middle cover.
  • The rubber bumpers on the front/outside flat portion of the front panels came off. One just fell off and the other was almost off, so I had to Gorilla glue both of them back on.
  • When looking from the tailgate, the sides don't appear to be very straight. There's a bit of a shift to the left about midway down the cover on each side. Not sure if this contributes to the leakage, which is worse than any other BAK cover I've had.
  • The corner guards/covers are loose, with a lot of wiggle on three of them, and a little wiggle on one. I'm not sure if they're designed to be loose, but it feels like they could come off very easily.
I did send a note to BAK about my concerns, so we'll see what they say. But at this point, I'm not very happy with it. Anyone else have any of these problems? Did you contact BAK and, if so, how did they respond?
Wow, my experience was completely different. I was actually shocked at how easily mine went in. I was expecting a "gotcha" here and there but mine is pretty much issue-free. Mine just folds right up and down without any snags or misfires. Sounds like yours might not be squared properly from the factory or installation but that's a guess based on how mine went. BTW, I've got the F1.

UGADawg96

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 302A 157 PB
I had a MX4 on my 2019 Silverado and probably won't get it again. Did get a good price at $750. But it did take three attempts to get it to work. First they sent new rails, then a new cover, and then I had to take parts from each set to make it work myself due to strap issues. There were metal shavings all over both sets. It did allow water in even with multiple adjustments to the seals by the cab and also by the tailgate when it rained and when washed. I'm not sure what I'm going to do for the F150. I'm leaning towards the rolling hardcover.

JerseyGlock

First Name
Jimmy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Lariat Powerboost
I have the MX4 on my 2016 and the only leaks I have had are where I have used a pressure washer near the tailgate and the corners at the top.
I think you'll need to add weather strips by the tailgate area to give a good seal. I'll be adding weather strips in next week or so.

Mr. Zero

First Name
Lou
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 FX4 Platinum
I think you'll need to add weather strips by the tailgate area to give a good seal. I'll be adding weather strips in next week or so.
Do you (or does anyone else) know if the weather strips affect the closure of the power tailgate? I'm definitely wanting to get some but I feel it would be tricky to get the seal pressure just right without affecting the tailgate closure.

JerseyGlock

First Name
Jimmy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Lariat Powerboost
Do you (or does anyone else) know if the weather strips affect the closure of the power tailgate? I'm definitely wanting to get some but I feel it would be tricky to get the seal pressure just right without affecting the tailgate closure.
I will update when finished.
Sponsored