Bakflip owners! Does it really leak a lot? Is build quality and aluminum shavings a problem for everyone?

drcubanb

First Name
Daniel
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 XLT FX4 Powerboost
See title. I need a tonneau cover and I like the Bakflip but I keep seeing reviews of bad water leakage and production quality issues. I live in Texas and it gets hot as hell. Do these seals really go that quick?

Advertisement

Last edited:

apMechorse

First Name
Steve
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 Ford Lariat 5.0L FX4; '14 Chevy Spark LS
Occupation
Aircraft Maintenance Manager
See title. I need a tonneau cover and I like the Bakflip but I keep seeing reviews of bad water leakage and production quality issues. I live in Texas and if gets hot as hell. Do these seals really go that quick?
I wouldn't say it leaks A LOT, but it's definitely not waterproof. More like, water resistant. I too had aluminum shavings all over my MX4, and the plastic end caps at the ends of each hinge keep trying to pop out. I've already lost one of the end caps off of the side rails because of this. In addition to this, one of the retaining clips for the prop rods was broken, and some of the hardware was missing.

I got mine on super discount as a member of the other forum, and I would not have kept it if I had paid retail for it. Even with the discount, it was a tough call to keep it or not. If I had paid almost $1k for it I would have been pissed. Ultimately it was a combination of the discount I got, the excellent customer service I received from Alex at RealTruck, and not wanting to deal with the hassle of returning something that large that I ended up deciding to keep mine as a stop gap until I can find the perfect cover for my needs.

Needless to say, I'm not a huge fan and would not personally recommend it to others.

ZWARRIOR

First Name
David
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Ford F-150 Lariat 501A 2.7l
Occupation
Software Engineer
It hasnt rained since I bought it, however, I have washed my truck by hand with a pressure washer about a dozen times (once a week) and I have not notice much leakage at all, some, sure, but I would not say I am unhappy with it yet.

SuvE

First Name
Gary
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150
Occupation
Retired
I am happy with mine. No metal shavings or any other defects. The only time I see water inside is after going through the local car wash. The blowers that dry the car are very powerful, and can blow small amounts of water through the tailgate seal and maybe from under the tailgate where there is no seal.

OP
drcubanb

drcubanb

First Name
Daniel
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 XLT FX4 Powerboost
I am happy with mine. No metal shavings or any other defects. The only time I see water inside is after going through the local car wash. The blowers that dry the car are very powerful, and can blow small amounts of water through the tailgate seal and maybe from under the tailgate where there is no seal.
Which model Bakflip do you have?

CommoSGT

First Name
Ken
Reaction score
Vehicles
2016 F150 Lariat SCrew V8
Occupation
Engineer
I have the MX4 on my 2016 and the only leaks I have had are where I have used a pressure washer near the tailgate and the corners at the top.

TNKIRK

First Name
TERRY
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 FORD F150 LARIAT SUPERCAB
Occupation
R V SALES
Very happy with mine.......I broke a small cover on the end......They sent a replacement......no charge......Revolver X4S

Advertisement

Advertisement