Sponsored

Bad dealership experience

bmac

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 Platinum 3.5 Ecoboost
I’m in northeast Florida and went into a dealership
this morning with the goal of test driving a Powerboost and potentially placing an order. Unfortunately the Powerboost was basically sold before it arrived and was gone by the time I got there.

So I decided to sit down with these guys and see what kind of deal they would give me on a factory order (although I still want to drive a Powerboost before putting an order in)

Before I went I had the build I want in a PDF and I’m aware of the best price out there (-3% holdback from invoice from Granger Ford ). I started my negotiations there and was immediately meet with a pretty hostile attitude

The build and price sheet was basically put back in my face and he said “we sell trucks here, we don’t give them away” I even re-offered to invoice price and was met with the same response.

Was definitely a disappointing experience when a simple “sorry we just aren’t going to be able to make deal today” would’ve sufficed.

My main point of posting this experience here is to find somebody who has had a better experience at a dealer in Florida or the southeast in general. Obviously the lowest price possible but I also value good customer service. If I can’t make a deal in the next month or two I’ll be driving my trade in to Iowa to Granger Ford.

I would appreciate any insights the forum has on better dealers in my region
Sponsored

Last edited:

Knickell

First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mazda Protege, Ford F-150
If you’re comfortable with it, state the dealer that wouldn’t play nice, so others on here researching know to avoid them.

Dan M.

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 KR SQ 4X4 PB
Occupation
Retired Army
There are several dealers in the Jacksonville area so I would check other ones. If all else fails use xplan.

discothan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 XLT
Yes, lets make sure people know who the bad ones are. Lets hope that info helps others to not waste their time at the dealership.

DanS

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2016 F150
Recently purchased from Gary Yeomans and previously from Greenway. Both were decent experiences. I did speak with a handful of others in South and central FL were similartowhat you described. .

Sponsored

OP
OP

bmac

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Yes, lets make sure people know who the bad ones are. Lets hope that info helps others to not waste their time at the dealership.
As I was about to respond their ad popped up at the bottom of the page so here it is

Ford F-150 Bad dealership experience F4A156D1-F9CE-46B7-8333-9D30B083FAD5

Last edited:

PGA

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Platinum
Occupation
Retired
It all comes down to supply and demand. Currently demand is high and the dealers have little if any inventory. So incentive for dealers to negotiate is not there. In two - three months, this might change. I doubt you will find any dealer in the Southeast that will come close to the Granger price.

I choose to let the dealers bring their offers to me. Went to the FORD site and built the truck I wanted then sent pdf's to the dealers within eighty miles. Told them all I was ordering a truck that week from whoever offered the lowest no BS offer. Surprisingly, I never heard back from two of the dealers. The lowest offer came from a dealer in South Georgia, River Bend Ford. The price was about 5k less than msrp, not great, but considering a hard to get vehicle I can live with it.

Orlando150

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford
Not sure how close one is to you but look up Mullinax Ford. They offer free delivery anywhere in Florida. No haggle, no extras, no dealer fees. I spoke with them yesterday and they said if I wanted a special order send them the build and they would price it the same as dealer stock (check their website for comparable builds to get an idea of price).

OP
OP

bmac

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Thanks all for the suggestions so far. Mullinax Ford and Gary Yeoman's are on my short list.

I’m curious if somebody knows the answer to this - why does a dealer care about making a deal on a customer factory order that will arrive in 2-3 months time. Does it count against the allocation they are able to receive? Surely in a few months there will be enough stock to go around. Seems like if I order from them even at less than invoice it is incremental revenue they wouldn’t have realized otherwise. Unless this is counting against a certain number of trucks they are able to get it doesn’t make sense to me

Last edited:

Knickell

First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mazda Protege, Ford F-150
I’m with you all, these asshat dealers don’t seem to want a sale. The only ones I had ANY follow up contact at all with was if I kept emailing or texting them.

That was back in October. Now nearly that I already selected a dealer and placed an order, I’m beginning to get phone calls to see if I want to come in and look at the 21s they have on the lot (nearly six months later). I’ll keep it elementary for the sake of the forum, but Florida Ford dealers can F off as far as I’m concerned. Not impressed doesn’t even begin to describe it.

Might be a different story now, but Mullinax was one of the ones as well who couldn’t be bothered... Hopefully you’ll have better luck.

Sponsored

satexas

First Name
Russ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 PB 2021 L502a
Thanks all for the suggestions so far. Mullinax Ford and Gary Yeoman's are on my short list.

I’m curious if somebody knows the answer to this - why does a dealer care about making a deal on a customer factory order that will arrive in 2-3 months time. Does it count against the allocation they are able to receive? Surely in a few months there will be enough stock to go around. Seems like if I order from them even at less than invoice it is incremental revenue they wouldn’t have realized otherwise. Unless this is counting against a certain number of trucks they are able to get it doesn’t make sense to me
1. Because theyre idiots
2.They want you to cave in
3. They don’t care about future, just the ‘now’
4. They don’t care about their dealership reputation

Jaym69

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2012 F150
Occupation
Investigator
I’m with you all, these asshat dealers don’t seem to want a sale. The only ones I had ANY follow up contact at all with was if I kept emailing or texting them.

That was back in October. Now nearly that I already selected a dealer and placed an order, I’m beginning to get phone calls to see if I want to come in and look at the 21s they have on the lot (nearly six months later). I’ll keep it elementary for the sake of the forum, but Florida Ford dealers can F off as far as I’m concerned. Not impressed doesn’t even begin to describe it.

Might be a different story now, but Mullinax was one of the ones as well who couldn’t be bothered... Hopefully you’ll have better luck.
I would make sure to tell them that they did not care to talk with you when you wanted to talk, so you took your money and ordered from a dealer that did care.

Bryan Simon

First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
65 Ranchero, 66 ElCamino, 05 Ranger, and more
Occupation
Maintenance
I went to three or four different dealers back in August.
The only one that was even willing to order is the one that got my order.
(I purchased my Ranger from them in August of 05)
They all wanted me to look at current vehicles on the lot, but I had no interest in a Crew Cab Short bed whatsoever.
Pretty sure I was the first 2021 order at that particular dealer as they were a bit fuzzy on what it was gonna cost me.

DPL

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 F150 XLT
We've bought our last 3 Ford vehicles from Duval Ford. Always used the X-plan. We have a new 2021 that we ordered from them scheduled to be built in mid February. They have always treated us very well, but we don't try and beat them down when negotiating. They have a pretty good service dept (IMO) and a nice waiting room that the misses likes. We have used the same salesman each time and he is pretty good at helping you get the right vehicle for the right price and doesn't play any stupid games (or lie to you) to get you to buy from them. Only minor complaints that we have is once in the finance dept, just make sure if you are purchasing an ESP to ask if it is from Ford or an aftermarket plan and i wish they had a body shop on site.

I do remember many years ago we went to buy a new ford from a dealership on Philips Hwy down by the avenues mall and played absolute hell trying to get our trade in back from them when they took it away for an appraisal as we didn't end up buying from them. I don't know if the same dealership is still there, but i refuse to even consider them. I know a couple of people who used Murray Ford near Starke and were happy with them.

Anyways, good luck with your purchasing a new f150. I know some people care about getting the absolutely best price they can get (not trying to be condescending as that is perfectly ok) but don't factor in the little things like convenient to get to, making sure your new vehicle has a full tank of gas on delivery, service dept hours and quality of work and providing a rental or if something does go wrong, you have a local salesman who can look into it. I do know that they provide free washing and vacuuming your truck when you take it in for service if you ask them to, which is nice. I've had my share of crappy service from other dealerships and oil change shops over the years. It's worth me paying a little more upfront knowing I won't have to put up with inferior work or bs excuses.

NumbersGuy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Ford F150 King Ranch
We've bought our last 3 Ford vehicles from Duval Ford. Always used the X-plan. We have a new 2021 that we ordered from them scheduled to be built in mid February. They have always treated us very well, but we don't try and beat them down when negotiating. They have a pretty good service dept (IMO) and a nice waiting room that the misses likes. We have used the same salesman each time and he is pretty good at helping you get the right vehicle for the right price and doesn't play any stupid games (or lie to you) to get you to buy from them. Only minor complaints that we have is once in the finance dept, just make sure if you are purchasing an ESP to ask if it is from Ford or an aftermarket plan and i wish they had a body shop on site.

I do remember many years ago we went to buy a new ford from a dealership on Philips Hwy down by the avenues mall and played absolute hell trying to get our trade in back from them when they took it away for an appraisal as we didn't end up buying from them. I don't know if the same dealership is still there, but i refuse to even consider them. I know a couple of people who used Murray Ford near Starke and were happy with them.

Anyways, good luck with your purchasing a new f150. I know some people care about getting the absolutely best price they can get (not trying to be condescending as that is perfectly ok) but don't factor in the little things like convenient to get to, making sure your new vehicle has a full tank of gas on delivery, service dept hours and quality of work and providing a rental or if something does go wrong, you have a local salesman who can look into it. I do know that they provide free washing and vacuuming your truck when you take it in for service if you ask them to, which is nice. I've had my share of crappy service from other dealerships and oil change shops over the years. It's worth me paying a little more upfront knowing I won't have to put up with inferior work or bs excuses.
Agreed. It's not always about getting the lowest price out the door. If that's your goal, don't be surprised when folks are less than willing to work with you. I know we all want a good deal, but the salesman is trying to make a living too. He or she will be more excited to serve you if you're willing to leave some meat on the bones. Coming from a guy in sales...
Sponsored