Backing to a trailer

don.mullins

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 3.5 Powerboost Platinum
OK, I came from an ’02 with basically no assist on anything and I find myself fighting all the assist technology when connecting my trailer.

My trailer has a Pro Pride 3P, which means instead of getting under with a ball and dropping the trailer down, I am inserting a stinger into the trailer.

I am pretty sure I get backup parking assist and parking brake assist turned off, but I still can get into a situation where releasing the brake with no throttle will not move back as I am trying to ease back to the trailer. Slight taps on the throttle do not get me to move. It feels like the hold function is engaged. If I try to bump the throttle, I can hit the trailer, and I fear I might bump it off the blocks under the tongue jack.

I found that ECO mode seems to work best (I have a Powerboost, so that puts me on electric motor only). It seems to give me the most predictable creep control. But I am open for suggestions.

Any words of wisdom from the community?
Sponsored

Dewayne

First Name
Dewayne
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2016 f150 2020 BMW X5
Occupation
Retired
Try putting it in sport mode and turn all the
OK, I came from an ’02 with basically no assist on anything and I find myself fighting all the assist technology when connecting my trailer.

My trailer has a Pro Pride 3P, which means instead of getting under with a ball and dropping the trailer down, I am inserting a stinger into the trailer.

I am pretty sure I get backup parking assist and parking brake assist turned off, but I still can get into a situation where releasing the brake with no throttle will not move back as I am trying to ease back to the trailer. Slight taps on the throttle do not get me to move. It feels like the hold function is engaged. If I try to bump the throttle, I can hit the trailer, and I fear I might bump it off the blocks under the tongue jack.

I found that ECO mode seems to work best (I have a Powerboost, so that puts me on electric motor only). It seems to give me the most predictable creep control. But I am open for suggestions.

Any words of wisdom from the community?
Try putting it in sport mode and turn all the electric off. Run on motor not electric try that

HawkeyeOD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford F-150
Try turning off the auto hold function?

By default, it is set to “on” with the Powerboost engine.

OP
OP
don.mullins

don.mullins

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Try turning off the auto hold function?

By default, it is set to “on” with the Powerboost engine.
I thought I had it off, but will make sure next time I connect.

OP
OP
don.mullins

don.mullins

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Try putting it in sport mode and turn all the electric off. Run on motor not electric try that
I will try that as well. I had noticed that without a trailer, the Powerboost tends to creep really smooth using the electric motor on ECO. That is why I started there.

Sponsored

daemonic3

First Name
Terry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 F150 3.5EB
Occupation
Engineer
Don I have not had any problems with my PB on level ground. The creeping has been working great for me just releasing the brake. I have auto-hold off.

Now, hitching up on uneven ground or gravel? That is a little tough and this truck is so powerful it is hard to tap the accel without it wanting to jump forwards/backwards. That has been the only tough part for me. Also, the elec vs gas doesn't seem to make a difference in jumpiness to me, and I don't put it in tow/haul until after hooking up.

I do notice that the parking brake assist comes on sometimes to "help" keep it from rolling a few inches, but this seems to be mostly only after that initial hookup. It only hurts me when trying to dislodge the ball sometimes.

I'm thinking your auto-hold is not remembering its setting and is turning itself on...

OP
OP
don.mullins

don.mullins

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Don I have not had any problems with my PB on level ground. The creeping has been working great for me just releasing the brake. I have auto-hold off.

Now, hitching up on uneven ground or gravel? That is a little tough and this truck is so powerful it is hard to tap the accel without it wanting to jump forwards/backwards. That has been the only tough part for me. Also, the elec vs gas doesn't seem to make a difference in jumpiness to me, and I don't put it in tow/haul until after hooking up.

I do notice that the parking brake assist comes on sometimes to "help" keep it from rolling a few inches, but this seems to be mostly only after that initial hookup. It only hurts me when trying to dislodge the ball sometimes.

I'm thinking your auto-hold is not remembering its setting and is turning itself on...
Bingo! I am on gravel with an incline at my storage location. It is a covered spot, and there is a grade to channel water away from the building.
Sponsored