Sponsored

Backcountry ready

Rod507

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Ford F150 XLT Powerboost
I know this is a Ford forum… but can you please provide more info on the camper? Brand/ratings/ price

Chewza

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 AMB Plat PB

Chewza

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 AMB Plat PB
I don’t know much about campers but isn’t 56k for something that small insane?!
Not for something that features custom bamboo interior, sleeps 4, has it's own off grid solar / battery system, 2x spare tires, articulating gas tube off road suspension, diamond plating for durability, and full outboard kitchen.

Try taking an ultralight off-road and see how far you get.

This is purpose built for people who want to trek up a mountain and not sleep in a tent.

Last edited:

Sponsored

Agashi25

First Name
Arban
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2015 Mustang GT PP CO
Not for something that features custom bamboo interior, sleeps 4, has it's own off grid solar / battery system, 2x spare tires, articulating gas tube off road suspension, diamond plating for durability, and full outboard kitchen.

This is purpose built for people who want to trek up a mountain and not sleep in a tent.
Well shit you sold me! That thing is badass. I guess I glanced and sorta overlooked the major “off-road” part and yeah I agree actually thinking about it the run of the mill campers would probably fall apart quick going off road.

F-150 Prius

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 Platinum PowerBoost FX-4 6½
Occupation
Software Algorithms
I don’t know much about campers but isn’t 56k for something that small insane?!
Absolutey! … but … : )

Right. This is an off-road trailer. Off-road suspension and chassis and hitch. It also has expensive equipment and design. e.g. pop-up roof, push-out expansion, batteries, solar, awning with slide-out kitchen … these are pricy options for camper trailers that are limited to sealed roads or gravel tracks at most and without off-road suspension everything inside the trailer will be bounced like it was thrown in a tumble dryer.

Sadly, today, 2021, $56K isn't a lot of money. If anything, I'd say it's a fair price to build anything of quality and make a fair profit and be able to stay in business to employ people who don't have to work like slaves and can save money and retire in dignity.
Also, the covid shutdown sent a lot of people buying RVs, so the vendors ran out of inventory (and materials to build more units as covid hit the supply side logistics) so when demand goes up and supply is constrained, price goes up. That's fair business.

You can buy most of a camper like this for $20K less, but, as noted, it will not do well off-road. Some campers are built better than others. Some have insulation, some are sealed and durable, built to high quality standards. Some are thrown together in a factory paying a handful of skilled people to train minimum wage laborers to learn on the job as they make mistakes and patch fixes to their mistakes and push the product out the door to let the dealers handle the customer warranty claims …
I could be talking about any "Made in the USA" quality product versus any imported product from kitchen appliances to aircraft these days.

Anyway, I was thinking about living in a camper while we renovate our mountain cabin and this looks great. I think we need another 10 feet or so. I wish they had an OP20 or OP25 model, but once you get that long, you've got two axles, it gets heavy and compromised for off-road.

One of these behind the F-150 Prius would have several days of power for the air conditioning and Internet, enough water and food. I am intrigued by the idea of taking the dog and the mountain bike and touring while the kids go to university, I work on a couple of computers and an Internet connection anyway, my wife runs her work-a-holic business and flies in on weekends to visit where I'm camping (we've done it before.)

ref:
https://www.opuscamper.us/op15/

Slappy McGee

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 Powerboost
I’ve looked real hard at the OP15 but my big problem is having a family of 5. We could probably pull it off now while the kids are small (5-11) but I fear we’d outgrow it soon.

I’m trying to figure out if we do one of the fancy off-road trailers that basically have an outdoor kitchen, indoor sleeping for 2, and a rooftop tent for the 3 kids, or do something like a Lance 2185 and give up some off-road capability.

cghall77

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150
I’ve looked real hard at the OP15 but my big problem is having a family of 5. We could probably pull it off now while the kids are small (5-11) but I fear we’d outgrow it soon.

I’m trying to figure out if we do one of the fancy off-road trailers that basically have an outdoor kitchen, indoor sleeping for 2, and a rooftop tent for the 3 kids, or do something like a Lance 2185 and give up some off-road capability.
Put a cap on the truck bed and now you have another bed. ? Don't have the truck yet but have the Ranch cap, bedrug mat and we will probably look for a foam or blowup mattress for the bed. We have the Roo 183 with 3 queen for our family of 4 but as soon as the kids bring away friends, we will need that extra spot. Conditions do have to be right temperature wise to stay in the bed and I'm sure even the teen will come running in the trailer with a little rain. ?

Sponsored

OP
OP
Norris McCarty

Norris McCarty

First Name
Norris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21 F150 Lariat 4x4 PB 7.2k FX4 17”Raptor Beadlocks
Occupation
Own a RV dealership

jeffcrum

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 XLT 302A Powerboost 7.2kw Inverter
Occupation
Computer programmer
Love that trailer!

Have you taken it out yet? If so, thoughts? Both on the trailer and how the truck pulled it please.

OP
OP
Norris McCarty

Norris McCarty

First Name
Norris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21 F150 Lariat 4x4 PB 7.2k FX4 17”Raptor Beadlocks
Occupation
Own a RV dealership
Love that trailer!

Have you taken it out yet? If so, thoughts? Both on the trailer and how the truck pulled it please.
I’ve not used this particular one but many like it. These and the TAXA Mantis are our favorites for personal use.
the Opus weighs 4900lbs empty so close to 5800lbs loaded the way we camp with 66gals of water on board.
The truck pulls it great. Mileage is +/- 10mpg on an average trip. Big Bend is our favorite backcountry destination. It’s really nice to have the 7200 Propower.
I’m an RV dealer. We specialize in this type of off-road/overland trailers.

jeffcrum

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 XLT 302A Powerboost 7.2kw Inverter
Occupation
Computer programmer
I’ve not used this particular one but many like it. These and the TAXA Mantis are our favorites for personal use.
the Opus weighs 4900lbs empty so close to 5800lbs loaded the way we camp with 66gals of water on board.
The truck pulls it great. Mileage is +/- 10mpg on an average trip. Big Bend is our favorite backcountry destination. It’s really nice to have the 7200 Propower.
I’m an RV dealer. We specialize in this type of off-road/overland trailers.
Good to know. I'll be contacting you when I am ready to buy then. Thanks for that info.

I have been googling and youtubing my ass off. I am loving this trailer!