Computer programmer

desertlivin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 Tesla M3, 2021 F-150 Platinum Powerboost
Occupation
Network Architect
I’ve looked real hard at the OP15 but my big problem is having a family of 5. We could probably pull it off now while the kids are small (5-11) but I fear we’d outgrow it soon.

I’m trying to figure out if we do one of the fancy off-road trailers that basically have an outdoor kitchen, indoor sleeping for 2, and a rooftop tent for the 3 kids, or do something like a Lance 2185 and give up some off-road capability.
If you haven't seen them yet check out GeoPro. I have a GeoPro 20BHS with the off road package. It isn't as capable as what the OP has hear for deep backcountry, but still allows you to go Offroad and so some dispersed camping as well. It has a fullsize bed that my I sleep on and 2 bunk beds.T he dining table drops down into a bed as well. It can sleep 5, but room inside is going to be a little tight with a family of 5, so that is something to consider.

Check out the floorplan.

https://forestriverinc.com/rvs/travel-trailers/rockwood-geo-pro/G20BHS/5139

Either way, before you purchase it may be worthwhile to try and rent the trailer you are interested in from Outdoorsy and take the family on a dry run.

OP
OP
Norris McCarty

Norris McCarty

First Name
Norris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21 F150 Lariat 4x4 PB 7.2k FX4 17”Raptor Beadlocks
Occupation
Own a RV dealership
If you haven't seen them yet check out GeoPro. I have a GeoPro 20BHS with the off road package. It isn't as capable as what the OP has hear for deep backcountry, but still allows you to go Offroad and so some dispersed camping as well. It has a fullsize bed that my I sleep on and 2 bunk beds.T he dining table drops down into a bed as well. It can sleep 5, but room inside is going to be a little tight with a family of 5, so that is something to consider.

Check out the floorplan.

Either way, before you purchase it may be worthwhile to try and rent the trailer you are interested in from Outdoorsy and take the family on a dry run.
Looks like a nice little trailer but nowhere close to a trailer like an Opus…… very different build and purpose.
All of the manufactures are building small trailers, putting larger tires on them and calling them “off-road” capable…..not hardly.

KartRacer25

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 SuperCab Sport 4x4 5.0 3.73 Space White
Occupation
Senior Software Engineer

After watching the vid link from InfoTroll (thanks) with Opus trailer, watch this entire trek all morning today. With Maverick trailer too. And a Ford. Epic, Insane, couldn't stop watching...

Sponsored

Slappy McGee

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 Powerboost
I’ve not used this particular one but many like it. These and the TAXA Mantis are our favorites for personal use.
the Opus weighs 4900lbs empty so close to 5800lbs loaded the way we camp with 66gals of water on board.
The truck pulls it great. Mileage is +/- 10mpg on an average trip. Big Bend is our favorite backcountry destination. It’s really nice to have the 7200 Propower.
I’m an RV dealer. We specialize in this type of off-road/overland trailers.
Any recommendations in that category for a family of 5? I've heard the Opus gets pretty tight with the bunks and bench in use for sleeping. I do love that I think I could squeeze it into my garage with the hybrid top.

jeffcrum

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 XLT 302A Powerboost 7.2kw Inverter
Occupation
Computer programmer
So, I am really torn between the Opus OP15 and the Black Series HQ15.

Both seem awesome.

@Norris McCarty Do you have any experience with the Black Series?

OP
OP
Norris McCarty

Norris McCarty

First Name
Norris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21 F150 Lariat 4x4 PB 7.2k FX4 17”Raptor Beadlocks
Occupation
Own a RV dealership

Check out the floorplan.

Looks like a nice little trailer but nowhere close to a trailer like the Opus…..
So, I am really torn between the Opus OP15 and the Black Series HQ15.

Both seem awesome.

@Norris McCarty Do you have any experience with the Black Series?
Yes, the Black Series is an awesome build. Opus has them beat quality-wise and the Blacks are considerably higher priced. Both are very good purpose built trailers.
You could pull either through/over some really rough stuff using a bit of common sense. TAXA is another well built trailer in this category that’s a bit less expensive.
I’ll mention while we’re at it……tandem axle trailer are NOT good trailers for off-road use…….single axle trailers are best by far for use in real backcountry situations.

jeffcrum

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 XLT 302A Powerboost 7.2kw Inverter
Occupation
Computer programmer
Thanks for the thoughts. Great insight on the single verse tandem axle! That makes sense.

ETA:. I am less excited over TAXA than I am over Opus or Black Series.
Sponsored