Back up Camera Poor Quality

pigpen23

First Name
Casey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150
Does anyone with an XLT also have complaints about how poor the view is of the back up camera? I have always thought the quality seemed poor but really noticed it the other day when I drove another truck and then compared the two views.

Wonder if they camera itself can be swapped out.
Sponsored

OP
OP

pigpen23

First Name
Casey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150
No one else?? Perhaps I have a bad camera.

mnstang

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 Lariat PB Leadfoot
Occupation
US Gov

Bryan Simon

First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
65 Ranchero, 66 ElCamino, 05 Ranger, and more
Occupation
Maintenance
This is my first vehicle with a backup camera.
XLT 301a. 8” screen
I really have not noticed a difference between this one and all the rental trucks I have used over the years.

I have noticed that I need to wipe it off once a week or so as road film seems to make it very blurry if left any longer.

Rain or even wet roads and foggy conditions compound the vision quality.
I really don’t pay a lot of attention to it as I am in the habit of using the mirrors over the camera when backing up anyway. Would not bother me in the least if the truck did not have one at all.

OP
OP

pigpen23

First Name
Casey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150
I hear ya. I try to keep mine as clean as possible and it doesn't seem to help (unless it's really dirty obviously).

I wonder if I can't take it apart and see if the inside of the cover isn't dirty...

Sponsored

Redskins5

First Name
Edward
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford F150
Occupation
Government
Does anyone with an XLT also have complaints about how poor the view is of the back up camera? I have always thought the quality seemed poor but really noticed it the other day when I drove another truck and then compared the two views.

Wonder if they camera itself can be swapped out.
I have not had an issue with my 2018 XLT backup camera but there is a recall out for my 2020 Explorer backup camera for poor Quality.

charmnh

First Name
Harmon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2010 F150 King Ranch, 2018 F150 King Ranch , both 4x4
Occupation
Happily retired
This is my first vehicle with a backup camera.
XLT 301a. 8” screen
I really have not noticed a difference between this one and all the rental trucks I have used over the years.

I have noticed that I need to wipe it off once a week or so as road film seems to make it very blurry if left any longer.

Rain or even wet roads and foggy conditions compound the vision quality.
I really don’t pay a lot of attention to it as I am in the habit of using the mirrors over the camera when backing up anyway. Would not bother me in the least if the truck did not have one at all.
I swapped the camera on a 2010 F150 King Ranch. Fairly simple job on mine.

boy racer

First Name
Mando
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150, 1985 Mustang 5.0
I have a '21 XLT with and the 12" screen and I also feel the quality of the camera is average at best. The perspective seems off and if it's raining forget it, it looks like your underwater as water just sits on the outer lens. Maybe will try some RainX?

Sponsored

diesel97

First Name
rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford Edge
Occupation
electrical
I wonder they are putting different cameras in the low lower trims than the higher trims(maybe leftover parts) I see a YT reviewer that tested an XLT and then a Lariat mentioned a night and day difference in backup cameras. Wonder that the part numbers are for the two different trims?

OP
OP

pigpen23

First Name
Casey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150
I guess I wouldn't doubt it if there were different cameras.

I took it apart Saturday and it's all one piece so I couldn't clean it. It does look like there may be something inside the lense so I maybe I'll have the dealer see if it can't be replaced under warranty to see if it gets any better.

STX21

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 stx
I agree, the camera quality in my 18 STX was much better than my 21 STX. I just got mine last week so the difference is noticeable. Probably pandemic parts sourcing issues. My 18 looked like HD compared to the 21 camera.

Caferd

First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 f150
Occupation
Self
My dealer is swapping out the camera. They didn’t sound hopeful that would solve the problem tho. The camera quality in cloudy/dark conditions is almost unusable.
Sponsored