First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Lariat, Powerboost, Supercrew, FX4, 502A
Occupation
Professional Bum
New F150, Powerboost, Lariat 502A, FX4, supercrew, ordered the BO Unleashed, and I am trying to figure out what it's unleashing, because it's not high quality sound. It's pathetic. I am a former sound engineer and my previous Ford was a 17' Super Duty Platinum with the Sony system and it rocked, had a separate sub gain setting and I believe a more adjustable EQ. This thing blows, sure it's got 18 speakers, but lacks so much in sound. There is no kick bass and no way to adjust for it. I now wonder if the BO that comes with the 502A package was probably as good or better than this $695 option.
Any input from those with this garbage?

Can FORSCAN change anything?

Do you thing Ford can do software updates to help this poor ailing sound system out?
Sponsored

Timsvtgen1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 Bronco Spt BL , '21 Tremor Ordered
New F150, Powerboost, Lariat 502A, FX4, supercrew, ordered the BO Unleashed, and I am trying to figure out what it's unleashing, because it's not high quality sound. It's pathetic. I am a former sound engineer and my previous Ford was a 17' Super Duty Platinum with the Sony system and it rocked, had a separate sub gain setting and I believe a more adjustable EQ. This thing blows, sure it's got 18 speakers, but lacks so much in sound. There is no kick bass and no way to adjust for it. I now wonder if the BO that comes with the 502A package was probably as good or better than this $695 option.

Do you thing Ford can do software updates to help this poor ailing sound system out?
It's quite possible , and the only reason I say that is because I just got an update notification for my Sync 3 in my Bronco Sport that supposedly enhances the sound quality.

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Ford F150

I have the standard B&O in my truck. You're not missing anything. Sounds ok with the windows up, but with the windows down and cruising on the highway it's definitely lacking. Not sure where to begin with upgrading since I don't want to lose any of the factory functions.

Last edited:
OP
OP

dannko58

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Lariat, Powerboost, Supercrew, FX4, 502A
Occupation
Professional Bum
It's quite possible , and the only reason I say that is because I just got an update notification for my Sync 3 in my Bronco Sport that supposedly enhances the sound quality.
system is up to date, so not sure about that. Yet I hope they come out with something as I am most unhappy with this. I feel like I need to add a sub for some punch, but not doing that.

Sponsored

First Ford Foray

First Name
Christian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Camry SE
Maybe there is something in settings?

RedTXV

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 SQ Limited
This is not new news, but it does seem to be a much debated topic here. Some of the threads have had me concerned.

I’ll be letting my 2016 Platinum go soon and I have always been impressed with the Sony system in that truck. Is it what I had as a youth? Nope. But it is perfect for me.

JJ_Tex

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Platinum Powerboost
I have the unleashed, and it is an OK system. It has a really good sound quality for the mid/high range, and you get a cool surround sound type feel from certain songs. The bass sucks and I have to set it unimpressively low to avoid the seat rattling from the subwoofer.

I would not go out of my way to get the unleashed system, but I'm also not going to lose any sleep over it either.

chill_will

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Powerboost F150 Platinum 4x4
Occupation
Engineer
I received my ‘21 platinum PB with BO unleashed last week and am most impressed (especially after seeing some hating on it such as here…). I’m coming from a 2010 that had the Sony system with the 700W sub and the BO unleashed is definitely a step up with much better bass and clarity. Maybe yours isn’t installed correctly or you're streaming low quality music?

I’m no sound engineer but the first thing I did was tune my bass and treble and set it to surround (not stereo). I am getting a wide sound stage and, like I said above, am very happy with it.

Vulnox

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 Lariat 502A, 3.5L PowerBoost
Yeah some trucks seem to come set to stereo, surround is definitely an improvement. But I admit the B&O is a little bit of a miss. The headrest speakers do essentially nothing, same with the overhead speakers. That is one of the most common complaints I see, it's like those speakers aren't even working and I agree. Under certain conditions if you put your ear to them you can lightly hear something, but it definitely isn't immersive.

Funny enough though I think the Unleashed shines with spoken word stuff, like Podcasts or Audiobooks. The clarity is really good, even compared to my B&O in my 2019.

Sponsored

gtotco

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 Lariat 502A FX4 3.5L
Yeah some trucks seem to come set to stereo, surround is definitely an improvement. But I admit the B&O is a little bit of a miss. The headrest speakers do essentially nothing, same with the overhead speakers. That is one of the most common complaints I see, it's like those speakers aren't even working and I agree. Under certain conditions if you put your ear to them you can lightly hear something, but it definitely isn't immersive.

Funny enough though I think the Unleashed shines with spoken word stuff, like Podcasts or Audiobooks. The clarity is really good, even compared to my B&O in my 2019.
I think headrests and headliner are very music dependent. It’s only in certain bands.

I listen to a fair amount of old soul/R&B (think Otis Redding Staple Singers Motown etc) and backing vocals often come through both but especially headliner for that. I also listen to a lot of Americana and classic rock and lead guitar often comes through both of these. I do notice a difference listening to Sirius because it’s so flat it tends to all come through the center speaker.

Snakebitten

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 KingRanch Powerboost
If it co$t more as an option, I probably would be more vocal about its shortcomings. It's nothing special. But the cars I have heard fantastic oem systems in were optional and could range from $2800-7000 more than standard equipment.

So a few hundred bucks? I guess you get what you pay for.

By the way, if you get 17 speakers and it still cost less than a decent aftermarket system? How cheap are those speakers. Lol

Zyvin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Crew, FX4, Lariat
If you’re listening to Sirius, just blow your eardrums out and enjoy the silence. Sirius sounds bad to me in all cars, but worse in my F150.

Sound is so subjective; it’s the equivalent of asking 10 guys, “who’s the hottest chick in Hollywood”. You will get 10 different answers. It’s impossible to please everyone.

I agree that the unleashed could be better, and is a bit gimmicky. However, listening to high quality music in surround mode, sounds the best to me. I also have the fader a few clicks to the rear, so it doesn’t all sound like it’s coming from the center channel.

I also don’t understand not having control over the sub by itself, seems like an easy command to give the amp. Although most people are going to replace the sub anyway, and have a bass control knob.

I promised myself that I wouldn’t touch this stereo (would be the only car I’ve ever owned without a custom stereo), but time will tell. But, if I were to mess with it, here are my options:

1. The person that just wants better bass. I usually say “wants more distortion” lol, cause that’s usually what I hear from 2 12’s crossed-over waaay too high, or too low. If I were to do this; I’d add a single 10 or high quality 8 (my last truck had 2 JL 6.5 subs and sounded great), with plenty of power. Then tune some of the bass out of the door speakers.

2. For those that want more bass and louder all around. I’d do the above and replace door speakers and maybe tweeters. Go for something with a high signal to noise ratio (S/N in the 90’s as you get more volume per watt). Also you could look at some of the 2 and 3 ohm speakers from Polk or infinity. This usually makes most people that want to cruise with the windows down at 70mph, still hear something.

3. All out. If your a sicko like me, this is usually where you end up. Prob have to go with an interface (navtv) out to a dsp, new amp(s), speakers, sub. At this point, I’d disconnect dash, overhead, and head rest speakers. Then tune. That’s the most important part; the tuning. If you’ve never done it, pay an expert, but try to learn what’s going on. Sometimes changing a crossover from 80db to 85db makes all the difference. I once had speakers that would make the door panels buzz, and I could have spent hours fixing that; but a slight cut at 105db made it disappear. I didn’t miss what I cut, and sure didn’t miss that buzzing. Tuning is how you make the sound fit your particular tastes. I’d rather have avg speakers and a great tune than vice-versa.

The comment that would I get the most from past systems is “it’s so balanced” or “it’s so clear up (until your ears bleed) “, which is how I like it. Clear and balanced.

i swear I’m not touching this stereo!!!

Snakebitten

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 KingRanch Powerboost
Please report back if you fall off that wagon. :)

I'm actually rooting for you because I told myself the same thing. But I already feel a little weak in the knees after 5 months with the Powerboost.

The reason I SHOULDN'T do it is because I didn't keep my last truck forever, like I said I would. I had to convince myself that was the truth so I could build my "bucket-list" audio system in my bucket-list truck.

Well here I am without that truck or system.
At 63 years old, you would think I know better. Just what was stuffed behind the seat in the King Ranch.

Ford F-150 B & O UNLEASHED, but what? mti23
Sponsored