First Name
ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
ford f150
Occupation
retired
New F150, Powerboost, Lariat 502A, FX4, supercrew, ordered the BO Unleashed, and I am trying to figure out what it's unleashing, because it's not high quality sound. It's pathetic. I am a former sound engineer and my previous Ford was a 17' Super Duty Platinum with the Sony system and it rocked, had a separate sub gain setting and I believe a more adjustable EQ. This thing blows, sure it's got 18 speakers, but lacks so much in sound. There is no kick bass and no way to adjust for it. I now wonder if the BO that comes with the 502A package was probably as good or better than this $695 option.
Any input from those with this garbage?

Can FORSCAN change anything?

Do you thing Ford can do software updates to help this poor ailing sound system out?
I have it also in my F150 Platinum, it's really hard to see where the 695 price comes into play. Not much difference than regular in my F150 2015 Lariet and that was standard. I agree with you.

spud_41

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 Lariat 502a, Lead Foot 3.5L EB Fx4
Comparing to BMW X1 and Volvos. It's not bad and I'm sure for a truck is excellent, but compared to those cars I hear air /wind noise, the front of the car is less aerodynamic and the windshield is wider.
Volvos are quiet, and not much you can do about larger surface area compared to smaller, but for having more aggressive tires I get less sound coming from the doors than I have on any other vehicle I've been in.

EatDirtFartDust

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Ford F-150 XLT, 2015 Lincoln MKZ
Occupation
Ford service manager
I have the basic non B&O system and my plans are to replace the door speakers with nice mid-level components and install the accessory kicker powered-subwoofer behind the seat.
I have an ear that buzzes when I listen to music too loud as it is, so I just want the music to sound more clear and add some bass.

First Name
Stewart
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Platinum Hybrid
Occupation
Industrial Equipment Sales
I'm waiting (and waiting ) for word on a build date for my 2021 (now probably 2022) Platinum PB with the Unleashed sound system. I agree that the test drive audio was semi-impressive, my 2013 Platinum with the Sync 3 and Sony system seemed to have much better low end.

The "B&O system" is a bit misleading, they only engineered and supplied the speakers. ALL Sync 3 and now Sync 4 head units are supplied by Panasonic.

I wonder how long the aftermarket will take to design an add-on amp and possibly speaker replacement kit to "fix" this situation? The head is rated at 1000W, even with the usual overstatement of power there should be no lack of bass.

Sponsored

kmayer

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
99 F250
Occupation
Web Design Agency
The "B&O system" is a bit misleading, they only engineered and supplied the speakers. ALL Sync 3 and now Sync 4 head units are supplied by Panasonic.
Thanks. I had been wondering about this. Where did this information come from? This is actually pretty good news from my standpoint. B and O makes pretty good speakers.

Jrohner78

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 xlt fx4
The B&O sub for 2021 is a downgrade from the 2018 sub (from the Raptor) I've contemplated getting a used Raptor sub as it looks like it would bolt in but I'm unsure on the plugs or if the current head unit would pick it up / allow it.

Billy231

First Name
Billy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Lariat Powerstroke
Occupation
Retired
The B&O sub for 2021 is a downgrade from the 2018 sub (from the Raptor) I've contemplated getting a used Raptor sub as it looks like it would bolt in but I'm unsure on the plugs or if the current head unit would pick it up / allow it.
Yes, a definite downgrade. I’ll show some pics. My friend was over and he has a 2020 Lariat, B&O standard just as I do. Pretty big difference in my eyes. He has what appears to be a sealed enclosure at least from what I could see and feel. Where mine on 2021 is just approximately a 6”x 12” speaker in an open style basket. Sound wise it was a bit different and not a fan. Now, Ford is offering this accessory “kicker subwoofer with amp kit” somewhat similar as a standard B&O for 2020, now an accessory for 2021.

Ford F-150 B & O UNLEASHED, but what? 0A96D5B7-2154-4191-BE80-573395DC8B8E

Ford F-150 B & O UNLEASHED, but what? 43D58BA6-34F4-4D86-94B8-C0ED88F07DA9

Ford F-150 B & O UNLEASHED, but what? 4F0FBA45-E8AB-46CF-9397-EBB810ABEC7F

Billy231

First Name
Billy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Lariat Powerstroke
Occupation
Retired
Now this is an interesting option for behind the seat. MTI Acoustics. Several different options and sizes to choose from. Nice website, with packages to choose from.

Ford F-150 B & O UNLEASHED, but what? 2CDF0FC7-1EC0-49BF-8D3A-2E8AAFD2FFCD

Sponsored

OP
OP

dannko58

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Lariat, Powerboost, Supercrew, FX4, 502A
Occupation
Professional Bum
I have it also in my F150 Platinum, it's really hard to see where the 695 price comes into play. Not much difference than regular in my F150 2015 Lariet and that was standard. I agree with you.
Good marketing tool to make MONEY, and what are we going to do with it once we have it? Return it? LOL

powerboost

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Lariat 4x4 Powerboost loaded
Occupation
retired technician
My B&O unleashed seems to sound best when I 1) select surround mode 2) adjust fader so big "dot" is in center of rear seat floor in animation. Just on floor, not on seat. Seems like this brings up headrest and ceiling speaker volumes and reduces bass so you can then boost back up the 3 tone levels to your taste. You can definitely hear surround effect with fader biased towards rear. I use Spotify premium on Iphone X so music source is good quality. Hopes this helps.

Str8Shooter

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Ford F-150 XLT 302A FX4 Powerboost
Occupation
Retired Systems Integrator
Just found out that I do not have the middle speaker above the dash because I have a non B&O system. That also means that I do not have the subwoofer and amp behind the rear divers side seat.

My thoughts on the 6 speaker system. It sounds good enough to me (surprisingly so), especially since I do not want to give up that extra storage space for a sub and amplifier that I am using now for recovery gear, towing equipment, extension cords, and securing payload. Perhaps someday after one of these factory speakers fails, I'll replace them with a higher quality replacement speaker, but that is about it.

Oh BTW my MPG is higher too because I do not need to recharge the powerboost battery as much with less speakers. ?

Ford F-150 B & O UNLEASHED, but what? 20211024_170128

jcaspar

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 4x4
What cars do you have? My interior is incredibly quiet.
Mine too. Much quieter than my 2013 Tesla Model S amazingly. Probably the better sound deadening and the sound insulated windshield.
My B&O Unleashed sounds really good. Depends on the source of course. Best off my USB drive, iPhone not as good (even with lossless) (much better now that I turned off Sound Check), Sirius not great but not bad.

Last edited:

SonnyDigs

First Name
Sonny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 King Ranch
Mine too. Much quieter than my 2013 Tesla Model S amazingly. Probably the better sound deadening and the sound insulated windshield.
My B&O Unleashed sounds really good. Depends on the source of course. Best off my USB drive, iPhone not as good (even with lossless) (much better now that I turned off Sound Check), Sirius not great but not bad.
What is sound check??
Sponsored