Sponsored

flatag

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Ford F-150 XLT FX4
I’ve lost all confidence in Ford and the dealership concerning the rust. I don’t want the rust to just be covered up. So, I fixed it myself and did the job correctly.
Sponsored

Old fart

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2005 F150 Lariat, 2018 Explorer, 1975 John Deere
Occupation
Retired
I really like the looks of this and will probably follow the same procedure. I am curious though, why not just spray with Rustoleum rust converter? I know that seems like the lazy man's way of doing it, I'm just curious why this wouldn't be much easier.

flatag

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Ford F-150 XLT FX4
I really like the looks of this and will probably follow the same procedure. I am curious though, why not just spray with Rustoleum rust converter? I know that seems like the lazy man's way of doing it, I'm just curious why this wouldn't be much easier.
Because Rustoleum rust converter just doesn’t have the horsepower to convert that much rust.

Old fart

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2005 F150 Lariat, 2018 Explorer, 1975 John Deere
Occupation
Retired
Thanks flatag, I just had to ask the question.

Jim Bandy

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Limited 4x4 Powerboost (Hybrid)
Occupation
Retired
Also when the truck was cold - applies a light coat to the exhuast then cleaned it with #003 &0001 steel wool pads. Came out all nice , clean & shiny as like they should be.

Sponsored

BILDOZER

First Name
BILL
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Ford F150 Lariat, 2017 Ford Escape
Occupation
Management
I used the Rustoleum rust converter. To care of rust quick and easy.

UNIKRN150

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Pinto SE 4x4
I'll never understand how anyone could pay $XX,XXX.00 for a brand new truck, WAIT an eternity to get it and just blow off the fact that the undercarriage looks like it came from an old junk yard.

If my truck shows up like that there is NO WAY I'm taking delivery until the dealer REPLACES (not cleans) the rusted parts.

flatag

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Ford F-150 XLT FX4
Thanks flatag, I just had to ask the question.
I think people might confuse Rustoleum rust converter with Rustoleum rust Dissolver. The rust converter is a paint and the rust dissolver is a rust remover. I’d suggest reading the Rustoleum website as it is too much to type out here.

Scott_W

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Ford F-150 Lariat
Occupation
Cyber Analyst
Thanks guys, for all this well-rounded knowledge sharing.
Scott

OP
OP

RamblinMan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Lariat
I'll never understand how anyone could pay $XX,XXX.00 for a brand new truck, WAIT an eternity to get it and just blow off the fact that the undercarriage looks like it came from an old junk yard.

If my truck shows up like that there is NO WAY I'm taking delivery until the dealer REPLACES (not cleans) the rusted parts.
There is no way a dealership will replace an axle and surrounding parts. As I mentioned in the first post, I negotiated an additional $200.00 off before taking delivery to cover the cost of undercoating. I obviously addressed the rust issue myself but I still plan on getting the entire undercarriage rustproofed.

I think your options are to negotiate more money off, insist the dealership remove the rust or just refuse to take delivery – which might cost you your deposit. Personally I wouldn’t trust the dealer to do a good job so you would be better off doing it yourself or take the truck to a rustproofer and have them do a descaling / rust removal before spraying the undercarriage.

Sponsored

mmdpg

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2008 Bullitt Mustang, 2021 F-150 Lariat
Occupation
Retired
I'd be careful spraying any type of rust converter or dissolver around under the truck without being very careful what it touches. Most of these products are acid based and work great on iron parts that are rusted but I'm not so sure how compatible they are on brake lines, wiring harnesses or fuel lines.

UNIKRN150

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Pinto SE 4x4
o
There is no way a dealership will replace an axle and surrounding parts. As I mentioned in the first post, I negotiated an additional $200.00 off before taking delivery to cover the cost of undercoating. I obviously addressed the rust issue myself but I still plan on getting the entire undercarriage rustproofed.

I think your options are to negotiate more money off, insist the dealership remove the rust or just refuse to take delivery – which might cost you your deposit. Personally I wouldn’t trust the dealer to do a good job so you would be better off doing it yourself or take the truck to a rustproofer and have them do a descaling / rust removal before spraying the undercarriage.
Or find another dealer and order a 2022.

There is NO WAY I'm paying $50k+ for a rusted POS.

NOT A CHANCE!

UNIKRN150

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Pinto SE 4x4
I think people might confuse Rustoleum rust converter with Rustoleum rust Dissolver. The rust converter is a paint and the rust dissolver is a rust remover. I’d suggest reading the Rustoleum website as it is too much to type out here.
"Rust never sleeps" isn't just the name of a Neil Young album.

Regardless... if they think you'd be willing to take delivery of something like that, they KNOW you won't do anything about it when the rust starts seeping through the pretty paint in a couple years.

Last edited:

UNIKRN150

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Pinto SE 4x4

If your hood looked like that, you wouldn't take $200.00 (or whatever) off the price and go repaint it. And the hood has absolutely no effect on how your truck operates no matter how rusty it is. I've seen pictures of some very important components like Brake Calipers and mufflers rusted to hell.

Sure the 3rd member isn't likely to rust through to the point of failure but it's a clear indication that it wasn't properly manufactured in the first place and makes you wonder what other aspect of the manufacturing process was shoddy.

You're likely right that the dealer isn't going to replace my entire rear end or maybe even my exhaust system and that's fine. He can find some other sucker to buy it.

Were I in a big hurry, I'd be driving a brand new white V6 XL 4x4 with roll up windows and an AM radio right now for $30K less.

I'm not and I'm not.

Last edited:

jcaspar

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 4x4
I did the same. Didn’t take long. Mine wasn’t too bad so I used a rotating wire brush. Probably faster for me than getting it done at the dealer.
Ford F-150 Axle Rust on 2021 F-150: My Method For Treating It 82FA7E5D-896A-46DC-A38D-B3E5647852FA
Sponsored