First Name
Fred
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 Limited
Occupation
Self Employed
Personally, I don’t think Ford will do anything about the rust issue. My assumption is that they will come up with a fix for trucks that have yet to be built but they won’t do anything for trucks that they already sold. I negotiated an additional $200.00 off when I picked up my truck to cover the cost of rustproofing / undercoating. None the less, I went ahead and cleaned up the rear axle and exhaust hangers myself. That way I know the rust is gone. It came out so well that I really don’t need to get the truck rust proofed but I plan on keeping it for a long time so I will still get it sprayed. Fortunately, my exhaust pipe and muffler are pretty much rust free. The ends of the axle where the rotors are wasn’t bad either.

Below are a few pictures of the process that I did. I’m not endorsing any products; I’m just showing you what I did and what worked for me.

I used Rust-Oleum Rust Dissolver spray. I chose this because they state it will remove light rust without removing paint. If the rust is heavier in some areas the paint will be gone and you will be left with bare metal after using the dissolver. I also used a dish / pot scrubbing brush and Rust-Oleum flat black paint. I purchased all three items at Lowes. I also used CRC Marine Corrosion Inhibitor which I bought on Amazon. This is awesome stuff in my opinion. Its not pictured but I used a little primer on a few bare spots on the axle where the paint was gone. While priming bare metal is the best practice you could still just paint the axle and seal it with CRC Marine. The CRC product will stop the rust from coming back. Just let the paint dry a full 24 hours before applying CRC Marine. I also used a small piece of cardboard to block overspray. You could tape off any areas that you are concerned about but I didn’t. CRC Marine has a slight brownish tint when it dries. If you spray it on axle nuts / bolts it will add a brownish color. Just be aware of that if you use it.

My axle is now rust free and I don’t have to be concerned about it. You could fight with Ford or your local dealer about it and wait a very long time only to potentially have nothing done. Meanwhile the rust will continue to get worse. I decided to fix the problem myself and move on. On a side note, if you question if you can do this yourself, I’m 54 years old and I’m a big guy (6’4”, 285lbs). I did this on a gravel driveway lying on pieces of cardboard. I was able to slide under the truck and do this without jacking the truck up (though it was a very tight fit). I have 20” wheels. It sucks doing this but once you’re done you don’t have to be concerned about rust anymore.

Just thought I’d pass this along in case anyone is considering doing this themselves...

1.JPG

2.JPG

3.JPG

4.JPG
My dealer just finished power washing and removing the rust from the underside of mine and applied the same coating/paint used by the factory to all affected parts. They said Ford will be picking up the tab. Now, all that's left for them to do so I can get my truck back is repaint the tail gate and right side of bed ($3,000), replace passenger seat cushion ($2,300), replace steering wheel ($4,000), replace dashboard trim piece ($unknown), replace rear door weather seal ($unknown), replace warped tailgate step plastic top piece ($unknown), re-align right front fender ($unknown), polish scratch out of rear door glass ($unknown), and identify and fix rattle coming from exhaust system. Can't wait.
Sponsored

Lippy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 Powerboost
I was going to work on it myself but now I think I will wait. I went to a different dealer (not the selling dealer) on Friday for the BCM/Alarm update, and the service manager offered to help me with this. He asked me not to work on it and is hopeful he can have Ford handle it.

busdriver

First Name
C
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2010 F150
Occupation
Pilot
Great idea! Thanks for taking the time to share this! Now all I need is my truck (I ordered in November and I'm still waiting:mad:)

OP
OP

RamblinMan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Lariat
My dealer just finished power washing and removing the rust from the underside of mine and applied the same coating/paint used by the factory to all affected parts. They said Ford will be picking up the tab. Now, all that's left for them to do so I can get my truck back is repaint the tail gate and right side of bed ($3,000), replace passenger seat cushion ($2,300), replace steering wheel ($4,000), replace dashboard trim piece ($unknown), replace rear door weather seal ($unknown), replace warped tailgate step plastic top piece ($unknown), re-align right front fender ($unknown), polish scratch out of rear door glass ($unknown), and identify and fix rattle coming from exhaust system. Can't wait.
That’s good that you got the dealer to take care of it. When I picked up my truck and mentioned the rust I got the same excuse that Ford gives - “it’s just cosmetic”. They had no problem giving me additional money off to get the truck rustproofed. To me that proved that they are aware of the rust issue but would rather take money off and have someone else deal with the rust then deal with it themselves.

Even though I addressed the axle rust myself I made an appointment to have the entire undercarriage sprayed just to be sure that rust doesn’t appear anywhere else...

OpsWest

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 PowerBoost
New owner here, confused as to why the corrosion warranty doesn't simply cover this:

For damage caused by airborne material (environmental fallout) where there is no factory-related defect involved and therefore no warranty – our policy is to provide free repair of paint damage due to the airborne material for 12 months or 12,000 miles, whichever occurs first.

Sponsored

JakeFlorida

First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150, 5.0L, 4x4, Max Tow, 2 tone paint
Sad to say, mine has the rust as well. Completely disappointed! Ford needs to make this right.

twelpo19

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 King Rach, 2019 Jeep JLU Rubicon
Occupation
IT Consultant
Thank you for the write-up. I will too act accordingly. Frankly this is bad practice by Ford.

UNIKRN150

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Pinto SE 4x4
I have a GREAT way of treating rust on a brand spanking new $XX,XXX.00 F150 that you waited MONTHS to get...

Go order a 2022 from another dealer and suit for the price difference!

Ford F-150 Axle Rust on 2021 F-150: My Method For Treating It Rust solution

mmdpg

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2008 Bullitt Mustang, 2021 F-150 Lariat
Occupation
Retired
Got my truck on Thursday. Built in Kanas City. Had only a couple quarter size rust spots on the differential, no rust on the exhaust or hangers or brake lines and none on the axel tube or fittings behind the brake dust shields.

Got under it and wiped the rust spots with denatured alcohol then sprayed with black satin spray paint for metal. Added paint to the front and back of the differential, the parts at the axel ends and the end of the drive shaft. Took about 30 minutes and no cost because I had a can of paint.

bulger81

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Truck
Got my truck on Thursday. Built in Kanas City. Had only a couple quarter size rust spots on the differential, no rust on the exhaust or hangers or brake lines and none on the axel tube or fittings behind the brake dust shields.

Got under it and wiped the rust spots with denatured alcohol then sprayed with black satin spray paint for metal. Added paint to the front and back of the differential, the parts at the axel ends and the end of the drive shaft. Took about 30 minutes and no cost because I had a can of paint.
I had a dealer explain the rust on how it happens and tell me people r trying to discredit Ford when I asked about the rust on Ford f150s on the lot. I saw rust near the shocks. its a load of crap, but common sense tells me they failed to paint the parts or coat them. I’m curious if the parts are rusted before are installed or after

Sponsored

Snowboarder_15

First Name
Ricky
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
4runner
I contacted my dealer to see if they would do anything about the rust issues and they told me to contact Ford Corp. So I reached out to both customer relations as well as warranty. Ford warranty said to see if the dealership would cover it under paint warranty, but it would be up to dealer's discretion. Both Ford warranty and customer relations said they weren't aware of any rust issues on the new F150s (surprise). I filed a complaint through Ford warranty and opened a case file. Since Ford is saying they aren't aware of the rust issues, I would suggest as many of us as possible file a complaint and open a case file with Ford Corp like I did. The more complaints and cases they get, the more likely Ford is to acknowledge and address the rust issue.

Lippy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 Powerboost
I opened a case and they closed it without even contacting me or providing an explanation. They then opened another and did the same, after I called. Then the service manager at my local dealer tried and got nowhere. I wasn’t that pissed about it but now I am, given the way they are treating me. I will pursue a bbb case.

Last edited:

Lippy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 Powerboost
New owner here, confused as to why the corrosion warranty doesn't simply cover this:
For damage caused by airborne material (environmental fallout) where there is no factory-related defect involved and therefore no warranty – our policy is to provide free repair of paint damage due to the airborne material for 12 months or 12,000 miles, whichever occurs first.
Where did you find this?

Tizzzo

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Lead Foot Gray XLT 5.0 Supercrew 4x4
Occupation
Veteran
Just did the rust delete mod today, used all the same materials. I took pictures every step of the way in case anyone wanted to see.
I started with a scrub with car wash soap and water to clean the axle since it was filthy after an off-road trip.
Ford F-150 Axle Rust on 2021 F-150: My Method For Treating It 113B51C9-8938-43B3-AA58-41D10EDB9751

Then I rinsed it
Ford F-150 Axle Rust on 2021 F-150: My Method For Treating It 4D4221C0-7BBB-4E43-B8DF-4D1191ACB535

I then masked all the lines with tape, I forgot to buy painters tape so I used a cheap duct tape (do NOT recommend, it was a pain taking it off).Then sprayed the rust oleum rust dissolver
Ford F-150 Axle Rust on 2021 F-150: My Method For Treating It 7C0C2E4A-6496-4445-9331-EBAED5BC4437

I waited 30 min then scrubbed it with a brush and hosed it off. I might have waited too long since some paint ended up coming off. Since the rust was light I could have probably gotten away with waiting 10-20 min then hosing it off.
Ford F-150 Axle Rust on 2021 F-150: My Method For Treating It 5261D527-D673-4151-B1BE-550E975CC2B4

It’s laughable how thin the coating of paint Ford puts on these from the factory.
Ford F-150 Axle Rust on 2021 F-150: My Method For Treating It 7D9EB07F-4897-4299-B54E-070328EA4809
Ford F-150 Axle Rust on 2021 F-150: My Method For Treating It 116BBF2F-C547-4E04-A1CA-7341DB9C4AD8

I also masked the ends of the axle by the brakes.
Ford F-150 Axle Rust on 2021 F-150: My Method For Treating It 4AF30BCB-821F-4D20-B535-96826C4C751B

Painted it with rust oleum matte black high performance enamel and these are the results.
Ford F-150 Axle Rust on 2021 F-150: My Method For Treating It 4CD9321F-A03E-41CB-BB08-28BB96079823
Ford F-150 Axle Rust on 2021 F-150: My Method For Treating It A282AC39-C66A-4E72-9EFD-E90A998635A5
Ford F-150 Axle Rust on 2021 F-150: My Method For Treating It 20F0CE4F-A816-45F5-AF57-B0BB27834666

Here is a before and after for comparison
Ford F-150 Axle Rust on 2021 F-150: My Method For Treating It 66470E33-6D70-41DC-9647-36053F516BAE
Ford F-150 Axle Rust on 2021 F-150: My Method For Treating It E5EBD7C1-22BF-488F-9A07-F24F9380A491

Tomorrow I will hit it with a coat of CRC marine and all is good ??

Ford F-150 Axle Rust on 2021 F-150: My Method For Treating It 726F5F80-7C48-4CC1-8D06-29CD0BFDEA38

Last edited: