Sponsored

Automatic Emergency Braking - don’t rely on it

fordhouston

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 LARIAT 501A FX4 V8
I've personally never had any issues with PCB/AEB on any vehicles including my current F-150. I hope something like that will never happen to me. Sorry to hear and best of luck OP.
Sponsored

OP
OP

Netrunner

First Name
Luc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 F150 Lariat, 21 Tesla M3, 00 Porsche 911
Occupation
Engineer
Just wanted to jump in and ask the question, any word from the insurance company if they will repair it?

I only ask because every car accident I've been involved in (thankfully few) where the airbags deployed, the car was totaled due to cost. Now these trucks are quite a bit more expensive, so maybe they are worth more to fix, but I've always wondered.

Then again I don't know if all airbags deploy in a crash or just certain ones, or if all the seatbelt locking mechanisms engage as well and need to be replaced, or just those in use?

In the end, to the OP, glad your son is doing ok. :)
Thanks, my son is doing fine. Even better, we bought a beater 2014 Ford Focus so that he if he ever gets in another accident, its not our main vehicles. Both front airbags deployed as he had a passenger, but not the side airbags.

The insurance company has approved the repairs. The estimate comes to $39K CDN which is less than the 70% threshold for a vehicle that is less than a year old. Price for the same truck is about $10K more, so I win and loose at the same time...

Having said that, I still do not have my truck back. Still waiting for backordered parts. The bodyshop should have them next week, unless they find something else or have another excuse... :(

HammaMan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 302a PB, Mach E GTPE
THAT's $39k cad worth of damage? Holy sheet man

Calson

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F-150
Road accidents usually involve one or more drivers going too fast for conditions or not paying attention to the road. Most likely the OP's son was guilty of both and seems crazy to blame Ford for the collision. Learning proper defensive driving takes time and experience in a wide range of situations and newbie drivers lack this which is why their insurance rates are so very high.

One has to be pretty gulible to drive hands free and trust a bunch of programmers to create perfect code to react to any and all situations. There is a very large gap between the marketing hype and engineering reality.

My 1998 Chevy Tahoe was supposed to have a towing capacity of 7500 lbs but I was driving it at 55 mph with no trailer in tow when a dumb driver pulled out onto the freeway and stopped in front of me. I stopped within less than a foot of the side of his car. With a trailer in tow I would have t-boned and probably killed him. The section of road has a 55 mph speed limit but semi rigs go through at 70 mph and the CHP ignores them entirely.

{tpc}

First Name
Anthony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F-150 302a High SuperCrew 3.5 EB MaxTow
Thanks, my son is doing fine. Even better, we bought a beater 2014 Ford Focus so that he if he ever gets in another accident, its not our main vehicles. Both front airbags deployed as he had a passenger, but not the side airbags.

The insurance company has approved the repairs. The estimate comes to $39K CDN which is less than the 70% threshold for a vehicle that is less than a year old. Price for the same truck is about $10K more, so I win and loose at the same time...

Having said that, I still do not have my truck back. Still waiting for backordered parts. The bodyshop should have them next week, unless they find something else or have another excuse... :(

Thank you for the information. That is a crazy amount of money to fix it, but I guess that's what stuff costs nowadays. :(

Sponsored

eharri3

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
#20Fordf150
Occupation
Business
I an that weirdo that disables this on any vehicles I own that have it. What tends to happen is these systems want to brake for me when I'm accelerating to go around a vehicle that's slowing to make a right turn because it thinks I'm going to hit someone. Often when I spot someone stopping suddenly or making a slow dithering turn into a parking lot I will need to get a lane over to go around, or pass quickly to avoid oncoming traffic on a 2 way road. If it's not safe to pass I stop and wait. But if it's feasible to get around without coming to a dead stop waiting for Grandma to crawl into the Supermarket lot maneuvering her Corolla through the turn like it's a school bus with 35 mph traffic approaching behind me I usually have to gas it a bit to do this safely. The computer thinks I'm accelerating towards a stopped car and calls that a pending accident. 7 years ago when we got my wife's Acura she didn't even know it had it. She tried to speed up to move over a lane to pass someone turning right on their left and the car caught us both off guard by hitting the brakes. Could have been rear ended if anybody was close behind us.

She pulled over and refused to drive any further until I dug into the owner's manual and figured out how to switch it off. It was never on again.

I am old school I guess, I keep my distance pay attention and decide when I need to brake for myself.

Last edited:

SCTYDOG

First Name
Chuck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2010 Escape Hybrid, 2015 CMax Hybrid, 2003 T-Bird
Occupation
Computer Forensic Examiner
My pleasure

Login to your Ford account in a browser. (Ford.com)

Go to the menu and "My Account" <>"Vehicle Dashboard"

You can download your 750 page owners manual. Way easier than viewing it in Sync!

Screenshot_20230320_160357_Brave.jpg
You have a few Ford points there.🤔 I could use an oil change. 😉
Sponsored