Automatic Emergency Braking - don’t rely on it

{tpc}

First Name
Anthony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F-150 302a High SuperCrew 3.5 EB MaxTow
Just wanted to jump in and ask the question, any word from the insurance company if they will repair it?

I only ask because every car accident I've been involved in (thankfully few) where the airbags deployed, the car was totaled due to cost. Now these trucks are quite a bit more expensive, so maybe they are worth more to fix, but I've always wondered.

Then again I don't know if all airbags deploy in a crash or just certain ones, or if all the seatbelt locking mechanisms engage as well and need to be replaced, or just those in use?

In the end, to the OP, glad your son is doing ok. :)
Sponsored

treg00

First Name
Tommy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 Lariat Sport Powerboost
A bit confusing:

Brake Support:
The system is designed to help reduce the impact speed by
preparing the brakes for rapid braking. The system does not automatically apply the brakes. If you press the brake pedal, the system could apply additional braking up
to maximum braking force, even if you lightly press the brake pedal.

Automatic Emergency Braking:
Automatic emergency braking may
activate if the system determines that a collision is imminent

Screenshot_20230320_110855_OneDrive.jpg

Screenshot_20230320_110948_OneDrive.jpg

Screenshot_20230320_111048_OneDrive.jpg

Screenshot_20230320_111129_OneDrive.jpg
This is really good info, thanks for those pages. I feel like after reading, my truck is not doing this. I was looking for the next page, 378 to see where the sensors are located on my truck, any chance you have that page too, or link me to this document?

JExpedition07

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F-150 STX 5.0L V8
It is the camera up in the windshield that controls auto high beams, AEB, etc from my understanding. The camera below the Ford logo does not have much functionality and isn’t attached to a “brain” like the one in the windshield. My STX does not have a Ford logo camera but has lane keep assist, automatic emergency braking, etc. I have one camera up by the rear view mirror.

Snakebitten

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 KingRanch Powerboost
This is really good info, thanks for those pages. I feel like after reading, my truck is not doing this. I was looking for the next page, 378 to see where the sensors are located on my truck, any chance you have that page too, or link me to this document?
Ford F-150 Automatic Emergency Braking - don’t rely on it Screenshot_20230320_155257_OneDrive

Sponsored

Snakebitten

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Thank you!!!
My pleasure

Login to your Ford account in a browser. (Ford.com)

Go to the menu and "My Account" <>"Vehicle Dashboard"

You can download your 750 page owners manual. Way easier than viewing it in Sync!

Ford F-150 Automatic Emergency Braking - don’t rely on it Screenshot_20230320_160357_Brave

treg00

First Name
Tommy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Well, this explains a lot. I went and pryed that cover off my bumper (location 2) and of course my truck don't have anything in there mounted to the bracket. That leads me to believe that these systems with the camera-only that do not have the radar part to go with it is pretty much worthless. Mine wont even blink to notify me that im about to slam into a vehicle ahead of me.

Next thought.....if I wanted to buy the radar part from Ford and add it via forscan to my system, what would that entail? I don't think I have seen this talked about anywhere so maybe it should get its own thread.

Snakebitten

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lots of threads regarding adding in the feature(s) for either trucks that came without, or trucks that had factory deletes.

So you don't have Adaptive Cruise Control? Although Ford leverages many of the various modules to support multiple features, that radar sensor primarily is what enables Adaptive Cruise Control. And yes, I can see where that technology would raise the bar considerably in accident awareness functionality. It fundamentally is measuring the gap/distance between your bumper and the object in front of it. There are 4 distances available on the steering wheel to alternate between.

HammaMan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 302a PB, Mach E GTPE
As someone who triggers their system weekly in the MME, if you hit the gas, it over-rides the emergency braking. The system as equipped in my vehicles also has means to steer around something. Ford doesn't give us the exact variables, but I could see how if the system determines that you could go around an object it's prepping to help you steer around it (while minimizing risk of loss of control). The system found in the assist equipped vehicles is superior due to being augmented with the radar. The camera has no depth perception and guesses based on tail lights (at night).

At times I've found AEB to trigger where steering around the object was the preferred action (car hanging out of a turning lane), since it cancels with throttle (possibly w/ steering input too?), it's a non-event.

As to the OP -- your son needs a basic defensive driving course if you haven't already had him attend due to the timeframe of the original post. I suspect he may have got a warning and hit the throttle instead of going right for the brake which changed the distances removing the safe braking margin. Running over the plastic lane marker that's made to be hit would have saved you a lot of headache.

The front radar should be standard in vehicles IMO. Even telsa having previously deleted radar believing vision was adequate, has since developed a high resolution radar that's going back into their vehicles. Here's how ford describes the radar unit....
Ford F-150 Automatic Emergency Braking - don’t rely on it 1679348630224

Last edited:

HammaMan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Well, this explains a lot. I went and pryed that cover off my bumper (location 2) and of course my truck don't have anything in there mounted to the bracket. That leads me to believe that these systems with the camera-only that do not have the radar part to go with it is pretty much worthless. Mine wont even blink to notify me that im about to slam into a vehicle ahead of me.

Next thought.....if I wanted to buy the radar part from Ford and add it via forscan to my system, what would that entail? I don't think I have seen this talked about anywhere so maybe it should get its own thread.
Was there a connector in there? Not sure where the line is drawn, but I believe lariats have a better chance of having the harnesses present.

Here's the radar....
https://www.ebay.com/itm/234918253883
or here if you need the bracket too
https://www.ebay.com/itm/225488899649

Last edited:

Sponsored

boy racer

First Name
Mando
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150, 1985 Mustang 5.0
So, I am on my second '21 F150 due to someone blowing a red light and plowing across my front end while I had the green. All the airbags went off and my truck was totaled. I did not get any warnings which was understandable since the oncoming vehicle came across my front side and was not directly in front of me. But, I walked away completely unscathed and went back to work a coupler hours after(happened right before lunch time). My point is that even if the pre-collision systems are not the best or don't work as some people think thay should work, the truck will protect you in case of a collision.
Ford F-150 Automatic Emergency Braking - don’t rely on it IMG-8203

JExpedition07

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F-150 STX 5.0L V8
I’m sure this truck is a step down from my old Expedition EL in the event of an actual collision. That thing was 6,300 pounds bone dry. But this has a lot more tech to help you avoid one.

treg00

First Name
Tommy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Was there a connector in there? Not sure where the line is drawn, but I believe lariats have a better chance of having the harnesses present.

Here's the radar....
https://www.ebay.com/itm/234918253883
or here if you need the bracket too
https://www.ebay.com/itm/225488899649
I have the bracket, not sure about the harness, but I'll check. I see some posts about adding adaptive cruise after-the-fact. I am not interested adaptive cruise at all. If I have the harness, and am willing to buy the radar part specifically to augment the precollision assist with AEB system, any idea what would that entail after I get the radar plugged up to the right module? Im sure it woudln't just automatically work. Would I have to run a recalibration of the precollision system or something similar in forscan to make the radar sync up with the camera and rest of the system? I wish I had known when building my truck that I was only getting half the system I thought I was getting. I would have just added the co pilot with adaptive cruise stuff if so.

HammaMan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
I have the bracket, not sure about the harness, but I'll check. I see some posts about adding adaptive cruise after-the-fact. I am not interested adaptive cruise at all. If I have the harness, and am willing to buy the radar part specifically to augment the precollision assist with AEB system, any idea what would that entail after I get the radar plugged up to the right module? Im sure it woudln't just automatically work. Would I have to run a recalibration of the precollision system or something similar in forscan to make the radar sync up with the camera and rest of the system? I wish I had known when building my truck that I was only getting half the system I thought I was getting. I would have just added the co pilot with adaptive cruise stuff if so.
Well that would give you radar cruise in addition to the safety features. You don't have to use radar cruise, but personally I won't own another new vehicle without it. There's some forscan changes to make, just look for a post about adding the radar cruise.