Sponsored

Automatic Emergency Braking - don’t rely on it

KBKEITH

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F-150 XLT SCREW 5.5, BAP, 3.5EB
Son's legs hurt a bit afterwards from sliding into the steering wheel, and little shaken, but other wise fine. He is quite lucky.

Seems like the whole front might need to be fixed including hood as well as airbags.
Glad to hear he’s ok.

From the picture posted it was hard to tell the damage beyond the bumper. Airbags are a given. Hopefully it will not be too difficult to get replacement parts. Hard to tell these days, especially when it appears that you have BAP parts needed.
Sponsored

My42waffles

First Name
Kegan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21 power boost 157, lightning reservation
Occupation
Maintenance
Both airbags deployed. That alone is big bucks. The front damage might be more than you realize because nothing is cheap anymore.
not really. each one is around $300-$400 for the steering wheel and knee spots. id put this at maybe 7k-10k US pricing but that depends on the frame crumple zones

Paul Neubauer

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150
My trucks system worked incredibly well and damn near had itself stopped before I even reacted when coming up over a freeway overpass at 85 mph and seeing nothing but brake lights and STOPPED vehicles. I had my foot on the brake for the final stop but the truck took care of itself and me before a major collision would have happened! Other vehicles did not get stopped as quick and traded paint with the guard rail and other vehicles...

Calson

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F-150
A new driver is far more likely to run into the rear of another car as he or she has not learned to anticipate what other drivers do. Often motorists will stop to make a right turn and then start to go forward to make the turn and then the driver for whatever reason decides to wait and so stops again. This second stop fools a lot of inexperienced drivers who see the car in front start to make the turn and then look only to the left to watch for approaching cars and so they drive into the car where the driver as stopped a second time.

Many drivers leave turn signals on and so one should not rely on them until the driver has committed to making the turn. Most drivers don't even bother to use their turn signals and will slam on the brakes just before making a turn or exiting a freeway. It takes time behind the wheel to learn not to trust other motorists and be truly defensive in ones own driving.

The collision avoidance almost resulted in an accident for me as a driver ahead of me decided at the last minute to hit his brakes and move into the far lane to exit the freeway. I had enough clearance to pass safely but the collision alert system hit the brakes and dropped my speed by nearly 20 mph. If someone had been tailgating they would have hit me as the Ford system made for an erratic braking of the truck.

I disabled the rear brake assist as it would activate the brakes backing up with a bike rack mounted to the hitch receiver. I need to go to the dealer to get the front pre-collision detection turned off. This "feature" is a hazard, although It may be helpful for inexperienced or inattentive drivers (busy watching their smartphone, or eating lunch, or putting on makeup) but not for me.

Tomatoboy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 Ford Explorer XLT, 2017 Ford Escape SE, F-150
Man, that rear brake assist scared the living daylights out of me recently. I was turning around on a remote forest service road and used a road stub that had a Jeep trap on it, so my nose was up and my rear was down. The rear brake assist decided the ground (a foot or so below it) was approaching too quickly and slammed on the brakes. I thought I hit a stump I missed when scanning the scene or something, but no, it just was confused by the ground. Note to self, turn that off when off the pavement.

Sponsored

Antimatter22

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 F150 Limited in Star White.
I had the precollision assist kick on today when a car turned in front of me but immediately got two lanes over. I wasn't anywhere close to the vehicle when they pulled out but the truck hit the brakes pretty hard because of it. I'm sure if there was a vehicle behind me when that happened they probably would have given me a one finger salute.

BIG_POPPY

First Name
Jerid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 F150 157" ECOBOOST, 21 F150 RCSB 5.0,
Occupation
Electrician
I wouldn't be so much worried about the price of repair insurance will take care of that. I would be more worried about the problem of getting the parts. MIne still has temporary emblems on it.

diambo4life

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lariat Screw 4x4
Occupation
Assassin
I disabled the rear brake assist as it would activate the brakes backing up with a bike rack mounted to the hitch receiver. I need to go to the dealer to get the front pre-collision detection turned off. This "feature" is a hazard, although It may be helpful for inexperienced or inattentive drivers (busy watching their smartphone, or eating lunch, or putting on makeup) but not for me.
I don't think the dealer can turn it off. Anything related to safety they don't mess with unless there's an actual function in your truck accessible by you to turn on/off.

treg00

First Name
Tommy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 Lariat Sport Powerboost
After reading a couple threads on this and seeing everyone's input (i.e. the system has limitations and wont prevent but rather reduce severity, especially if you're going fast etc.) I have to say I don't think mine working right even though I don't have any messages indicating anything is wrong with the system. I have mine set on high, never ever felt it brake in any condition, and only saw the red box pop up once, maybe twice since i've had the truck in Sept of 22.

A couple days ago I didn't notice the truck in front me had slowed almost to a stop due to traffic, and when I looked up i had to slam my brakes super hard. I thought I was going to rear end him, but stopped just short of a very bad accident. With the system set on high, it gave me nothing. No red flashing, no sound, no braking, just was going let me plow into the vehicle in front of me that I was coming up on from pretty far away. Either mine is not working or its useless. I understand it may not brake and prevent under all circumstances but you mean to tell me in this situation I just described, it couldn't even flash and warn me? What is the point of it then, I have seen way better similar systems in cheaper cars. Should I try to recalibrate this system since I put a 2in level on my truck? If so what tool in forscan does that?

Snakebitten

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 KingRanch Powerboost
With Adaptive Cruise Control engaged I get way more intervention from the "system" regarding braking.
Often times it's more cautious than I would be myself.

Without Adaptive Cruise Control on, I'm not sure it does much beyond an occasional panic alert on the screen.

Is it supposed to slow the truck down when Adaptive Cruise is disengaged?

Sponsored

treg00

First Name
Tommy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 Lariat Sport Powerboost
With Adaptive Cruise Control engaged I get way more intervention from the "system" regarding braking.
Often times it's more cautious than I would be myself.

Without Adaptive Cruise Control on, I'm not sure it does much beyond an occasional panic alert on the screen.

Is it supposed to slow the truck down when Adaptive Cruise is disengaged?
I don’t have adaptive cruise, I only have the pre collision assist with auto emergency braking. It does almost nothing even set to high.

JExpedition07

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F-150 STX 5.0L V8
Haven’t needed to rely on it in my 2023 STX yet and hoping I don’t need to but glad it’s there as an added assist. The lane keep is a bit wonky in that it has a hard time operating in snow or if there is left over salt on the road after a storm. The white bright roads really confuse it.

Snakebitten

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 KingRanch Powerboost
A bit confusing:

Brake Support:
The system is designed to help reduce the impact speed by
preparing the brakes for rapid braking. The system does not automatically apply the brakes. If you press the brake pedal, the system could apply additional braking up
to maximum braking force, even if you lightly press the brake pedal.

Automatic Emergency Braking:
Automatic emergency braking may
activate if the system determines that a collision is imminent

Ford F-150 Automatic Emergency Braking - don’t rely on it Screenshot_20230320_110855_OneDrive

Ford F-150 Automatic Emergency Braking - don’t rely on it Screenshot_20230320_110948_OneDrive

Ford F-150 Automatic Emergency Braking - don’t rely on it Screenshot_20230320_111048_OneDrive

Ford F-150 Automatic Emergency Braking - don’t rely on it Screenshot_20230320_111129_OneDrive
Sponsored