Audio in from ham radio

gb7FRz26

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 XLT SuperCrew Short Bed, 2010 Prius
I know our trucks don't have a 3.5mm input, so I was planning to have audio from my dual band Kenwood amateur radio go 3.5mm -> Bluetooth transmitter -> Just another audio source like it was a cell phone. But darned if I can find a BT 4.2 or BT 5.0 transmitter that will pair with the truck.
Tablet, cell phone, or chromebook? No problem, pairs fine.
Just curious if anybody has had luck with alternative methods. I've read the threads about hi-def lossless audio, and I'd prefer to not use an FM transmitter because they usually suck pretty hard.
Sponsored

UNIKRN150

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Pinto SE 4x4
I know our trucks don't have a 3.5mm input, so I was planning to have audio from my dual band Kenwood amateur radio go 3.5mm -> Bluetooth transmitter -> Just another audio source like it was a cell phone. But darned if I can find a BT 4.2 or BT 5.0 transmitter that will pair with the truck.
Tablet, cell phone, or chromebook? No problem, pairs fine.
Just curious if anybody has had luck with alternative methods. I've read the threads about hi-def lossless audio, and I'd prefer to not use an FM transmitter because they usually suck pretty hard.
Ford F-150 Audio in from ham radio kwd-kes-3s_xl

OP
OP

gb7FRz26

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 XLT SuperCrew Short Bed, 2010 Prius
[SOLVED] I used a speaker I had laying around for a couple weeks, but ended up going with this:
https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B018E0I01I/
First I tried an old Belkin FM transmitter I had from the late 90's. Terrible static.
Then I tried a C.Crane FT-007 which should have been powerful enough to be heard inside my house. Marginally better than the Belkin, surprisingly.
Lastly I tried this, figuring enough people have been happy with it, since how often do you see a product with over 100K reviews.. Sitting under the drivers seat, plugged into a powerpole splitter and cigarette lighter outlet and also plugged into the ham radio, this solved my problem.
No static on the head unit.
I didn't want a transmitter that had a built in Lithium battery that would puff up in the heat, plus those aren't designed to stay on/charging 24/7. Had that happen with a dashcam. If you live in a hot climate, get a dashcam with a Supercapacitor to avoid that issue.

Ford F-150 Audio in from ham radio 1
Sponsored