Attempted Ford Pass Hack

SonnyDigs

First Name
Sonny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 King Ranch
I woke up to a message from Ford Pass this morning.
There was an attempt to access permission to my Ford Pass account and control of my remote access features..
Has anyone else seen this happen??
Check your password and beware there are people attempting to gain access to your truck..

Ford F-150 Attempted Ford Pass Hack Screenshot_20210919-081133_FordPass
Sponsored

Fredm2002

First Name
Fred
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21 Platinum Antimatter Blue; 2018 Edge 1984 V-65
Occupation
Education
It happened to me once, and I now change the password on my accounts on a quarterly basis.

OP
OP
SonnyDigs

SonnyDigs

First Name
Sonny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 King Ranch
It happened to me once, and I now change the password on my accounts on a quarterly basis.
It's new to me, I haven't heard anything about Ford Pass being hacked or attempted..

Fredm2002

First Name
Fred
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21 Platinum Antimatter Blue; 2018 Edge 1984 V-65
Occupation
Education
I don't think it is a hack, but people hammering servers trying to get a person to grant access to their account/vehicle. I could be wrong.....I work in education and a lot with tech in the school. Our servers/firewall/accounts get hammered tens of thousands of times a day, from people trying to access accounts. I guess a kid working on a google slide is worthy of being hacked.... lol. My new passwords are 24 letters, numbers, and characters long. That can be a headache, as I don't let the password be saved, and enter all the time. After a few hundred log-ins, it becomes muscle memory. :eek:

OP
OP
SonnyDigs

SonnyDigs

First Name
Sonny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 King Ranch
I don't think it is a hack, but people hammering servers trying to get a person to grant access to their account/vehicle. I could be wrong.....I work in education and a lot with tech in the school. Our servers/firewall/accounts get hammered tens of thousands of times a day, from people trying to access accounts. I guess a kid working on a google slide is worthy of being hacked.... lol. My new passwords are 24 letters, numbers, and characters long. That can be a headache, as I don't let the password be saved, and enter all the time. After a few hundred log-ins, it becomes muscle memory. :eek:
My password isn't as strong as yours but it is a combination of letters , symbols and numbers.
If they crack it, more power to them.
Lol

Sponsored

jeffcrum

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 XLT 302A Powerboost 7.2kw Inverter
Occupation
Computer programmer
Not really a hack. But, certainly social engineering.

Seems like the app allows you to request/ give access to someone. But, where? I can't find it.

OP
OP
SonnyDigs

SonnyDigs

First Name
Sonny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 King Ranch

magvallo

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Lariat Sport PB
My old supervisor used to have a sign on his wall that said “I drink because your password is password”
In all seriousness there’s a reason most secure sites force passwords changes. Good password hygiene will keep you better protected. Use a password keeper or a revolving password naming convention Also if possible always enable two factor authentication. something you know (password) something you have (cell phone). Not 100% safe but nothing is.
Cyber bad actors want your user name and passwords and use very clever phishing scams to trick you into providing.
Banking and email credentials are at top risk. If you use the same password over multiple platforms they are all at risk.

magvallo

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Lariat Sport PB
This isn't a "hack". Anybody with a Fordpass account can request access to any vehicle. All they have to do is input the VIN into the app.
Interesting, so it could be as simple as someone typyin the an incorrect VIN vs malicious intent? My wife’s explorer has the Ford pass and I was just able to add my F150 vin to her account even though it’s not built. No functionality. I thought there was a temp password provided when we setup her account provided by the dealer at time of purchase. I could be wrong it was three years ago. Otherwise what would stop someone from adding a VIN from the lot to any account.

Sponsored

Pioneer74

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150
Interesting, so it could be as simple as someone typyin the an incorrect VIN vs malicious intent? My wife’s explorer has the Ford pass and I was just able to add my F150 vin to her account even though it’s not built. No functionality. I thought there was a temp password provided when we setup her account provided by the dealer at time of purchase. I could be wrong it was three years ago. Otherwise what would stop someone from adding a VIN from the lot to any account.
They could have input the VIN accidentally, or on purpose. Nothing can stop anybody from wanting access, but without your approval they don't gain any functions. I guess if you're buying off the lot, it would be in your best interest to do a master reset on the SYNC system.

Wanting access at 2 am doesn't sound normal. Maybe the person wanted to unlock your truck to get in it, but doesn't realize that just inputting the VIN doesn't grant you access without being approved. Or maybe they just typed it in wrong. Could go either way.

OP
OP
SonnyDigs

SonnyDigs

First Name
Sonny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 King Ranch
They could have input the VIN accidentally, or on purpose. Nothing can stop anybody from wanting access, but without your approval they don't gain any functions. I guess if you're buying off the lot, it would be in your best interest to do a master reset on the SYNC system.

Wanting access at 2 am doesn't sound normal. Maybe the person wanted to unlock your truck to get in it, but doesn't realize that just inputting the VIN doesn't grant you access without being approved. Or maybe they just typed it in wrong. Could go either way.
I agree, 2am does make it look malicious..

SumGuy

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 (perpetually on order)
Occupation
Drugs
Dude was probably standing in the driveway and keyed in the vin

Last edited:
OP
OP
SonnyDigs

SonnyDigs

First Name
Sonny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 King Ranch
Did was probably standing in the driveway and keyed in the vin
No one was in my driveway. I have an armed security system that will alert me.
It also records and stores video off site 24/7.
They could have been within site of the truck and tried to gain entry though..

Pioneer74

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150
No one was in my driveway. I have an armed security system that will alert me.
It also records and stores video off site 24/7.
They could have been within site of the truck and tried to gain entry though..
They would have had to been right next to the truck to read the VIN through the windshield. If you don't have that on video it was probably just an accident of putting the wrong number in.
Sponsored