Sponsored

At what speeds does the hybrid work?

jd281

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Lariat Powerboost
If you watch the Power Flow I think the electric motor actually helps at higher speeds on the highway as well. I was on a 3 hour drive and turned it on. It would use electric assist on the uphill and then charge it on the downhill. I was doing 70+ and I think I dipped into the turbos on only 1 hill. The rest were mitigated with electric etc. It was really fascinating to watch.

Otherwise, it mainly seems to be most effective assisting at launch and at maintaining your speed once you've accelerated up to about 45 MPH as others have said.
Sponsored

Vulnox

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 Lariat 502A, 3.5L PowerBoost
If you watch the Power Flow I think the electric motor actually helps at higher speeds on the highway as well. I was on a 3 hour drive and turned it on. It would use electric assist on the uphill and then charge it on the downhill. I was doing 70+ and I think I dipped into the turbos on only 1 hill. The rest were mitigated with electric etc. It was really fascinating to watch.

Otherwise, it mainly seems to be most effective assisting at launch and at maintaining your speed once you've accelerated up to about 45 MPH as others have said.
Yeah the electric motor can always be helping out, that's why the PowerBoost has a higher HP/Torque figure than the standard 3.5L EB, it's trying to help.

You can have it help and it won't register as "Electric Miles" though, because that is for when the truck is running purely on battery, not assisting. So the benefit is there, but I think it cancels itself out which is why you don't see a higher EPA MPG since the PowerBoost adds weight that hurts mileage as much as it helps supplement power which helps mileage. So instances where the EB would normally need some boost, like 70MPH and a slight uphill, it can instead get power from the motor and let the turbos remain idle, which is better for mileage.

The City MPG is rated so well because it CAN just run on battery in some situations, and that's just infinite MPG in that time.

jcaspar

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 4x4
I sincerely hope everyone is enjoying their PowerBoost.

However this is another reason I got the V8 and not the PB. I read all of these suggestions, tips, tricks, and ideas about how to recharge the battery, improve gas mileage, etc. but then I think are you kidding me? Can't you just get in the truck and go? I'm so glad I did not get the PB! All I want to do is get in and go! Not, learn a new way how to drive a vehicle!. Apologies if my comments are offensive but I truly don't get it!?
No offense taken. I got it because it has the most HP and Torque of any F-150 engine. Why would I get something less powerful and slower? (other than the better sound of the 5.0). The higher mpg is just a bonus.

OP
OP

Cakes

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150 King Ranch
Occupation
Retired
Yes, using the EPA rating of the 3.5 you'll get about 18, the PB is rated for 24. The more city/stop and go driven the bigger benefit you should see. Assuming, you have a light foot and good breaking habits.

OP
OP

Cakes

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150 King Ranch
Occupation
Retired
OK I have an entirely different question for the group: with a King Ranch 3.5 power boost hybrid how do you turn off the beeping when you have the truck in reverse??? I find it to be super annoying. The dealership said it is a safety feature that be turned off due to the 7.2 on board pro power pack. Has anyone here figured it out??? Any help is appreciated.

Sponsored

Niterider

First Name
Shawn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150
Occupation
factory worker
OK I have an entirely different question for the group: with a King Ranch 3.5 power boost hybrid how do you turn off the beeping when you have the truck in reverse??? I find it to be super annoying. The dealership said it is a safety feature that be turned off due to the 7.2 on board pro power pack. Has anyone here figured it out??? Any help is appreciated.
I believe that is a federal requirement now with all hybrids as they can back up without making any engine noise to alert pedestrians.

mnstang

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 Lariat PB Leadfoot
Occupation
US Gov
For your reading pleasure....

https://www.federalregister.gov/doc...requirements-for-hybrid-and-electric-vehicles

jcaspar

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 4x4
This is the fastest I have had it drive in electric. Was just able to sustain 70 with slight downhill grade.
Ford F-150 At what speeds does the hybrid work? IMG_2218.JPG

David Gordon

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 Platinum Powerboost
Occupation
Oilfield

However this is another reason I got the V8 and not the PB. I read all of these suggestions, tips, tricks, and ideas about how to recharge the battery, improve gas mileage, etc. but then I think are you kidding me? Can't you just get in the truck and go? I'm so glad I did not get the PB! All I want to do is get in and go! Not, learn a new way how to drive a vehicle!. Apologies if my comments are offensive but I truly don't get it!?
I got a Powerboost and I will not spend all day trying to trick the truck into getting better MPG. I get 17 mpg average at best...

Jus Cruisin

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 GMC Sierra Denali Ultimate 4X4 - 6.2l
Occupation
Very retired
I got a Powerboost and I will not spend all day trying to trick the truck into getting better MPG. I get 17 mpg average at best...
I pretty much just get in and drive. I do know how to get it into electric easily and take advantage of that. I have about 5500 miles on mine now and over 1200 are electric. My LOM that I don't reset has now reached 20.5 mpg. That's plenty fine for me.

Sponsored

Tosh

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Lariat PB
Occupation
Re-Tired Bicycle Mechanic
no "hyper-miling" for me. My average daily drive is about 40 miles, max speed 65, cruise speed 55, fairly hilly. 85% in Normal mode, 15% in Sport mode. Roughly 20% of my miles are all-electric.

23.2 MPG since I got the truck, 4300 miles ago.

Downtown, in stop-n-go traffic, I get something between 26 and 30, depending on circumstances.

Snakebitten

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 KingRanch Powerboost
If you are fortunate enough to travel on rural roads of 30-55mph and are using cruise control at those speeds you will likely get between 20-25% EV miles.

You also will be in the bullseye of the EPA mileage ratings. Getting an indicated 23-25mpg is child's play in those circumstances. A Hybrid sweetspot.

Whiskey

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 Hybrid, 2020 Toyota Corolla Hybrid
Occupation
Retired Miner

I’ve tried all those tips and tricks but it really doesn’t make that big of a difference, so, now I just get in it and go. BTW….I love that truck when I put it in the passing lane to pass a slower vehicle, only ever felt that kind of torque on my dragbike before, but, I’m sure your V8 will do that also? ?????

Mash150

First Name
Dale
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21 King Ranch, 157, SQ , PB
Occupation
Unskilled House Mechanic
It‘s not only the 7.2 that does that, the 2.4 is the same, and it will also be beeping in drive until you reach a certain speed ( not sure what that is). Warns pedestrians if the truck is moving forward at a low speed. As far as I can tell, it will beep even with the engine running. There doesn’t appear to be a silence switch when moving from electric to gas. My take anyway.
Sponsored