Sponsored

Articulated sensor slightly behind driver-side back axle?

Thunderchief

First Name
Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Ford Lariat Powerboost, 2021 Ford Edge
Occupation
Retired AF Fighter Pilot
I have a 2022 Lariat Powerboost and I notice a sensor with a small articulated arm slightly behind the driver-side rear axel. Does anyone know what that device does?
Sponsored

Snakebitten

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 KingRanch Powerboost
Height sensor.
Do you only have one on one side?

Ford F-150 Articulated sensor slightly behind driver-side back axle? Screenshot_20220703-170445_Brave

OP
OP
Thunderchief

Thunderchief

First Name
Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Ford Lariat Powerboost, 2021 Ford Edge
Occupation
Retired AF Fighter Pilot
Yes--only on the driver side.

Last edited:

powerboatr

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 King Ranch 4x4
Occupation
Retired Navy Senior Chief
it is from what i found to be related to the headlights auto aiming feature as truck squats it adjust headlights to keep them level and not shoot the moon, or so i have been told

i also was told it had to do with certain 4wd modes and the lets the truck know where the axle is in relation to the world, but then i asked shouldn't they be on all four edges of truck.
my bus has them near each wheel to control the air bags for ride height

so i figure they are for the headlight aiming automatic feature

the CCD suspension uses the ccd shocks for pint of reference for ride height and ride firm or soft and the onboard scales

Snakebitten

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
The CCD has the height sensor encased in the rectangle enclosure with the shock itself

Ford F-150 Articulated sensor slightly behind driver-side back axle? 20220508_184837

Ford F-150 Articulated sensor slightly behind driver-side back axle? 20220508_184759

A fellow inmate here that has scales but no CCD is where I got that picture above from, again here:

Ford F-150 Articulated sensor slightly behind driver-side back axle? Screenshot_20220703-170445_Brave

Of course the same height sensor for scales may very well play a role in headlight aiming too. I have a Miata and a Porsche and both use a rear suspension lever based module for headlight alignment.

Sponsored

DBL R

First Name
Jarred
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 powerboost
Occupation
PA
Maybe a dumb question, but does the headlight sensor directly communicate any information to the CCD?

Snakebitten

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
I believe the height sensors, front and rear, communicate with the VDM module. The VDM module has the PIDs for the height sensors.

The PCM calculates the algorithm for all the data that the VDM provides, and determines the voltage supplied to the CCD valves. The VDM also has the PIDs for that voltage.

DBL R

First Name
Jarred
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 powerboost
Occupation
PA
I believe the height sensors, front and rear, communicate with the VDM module. The VDM module has the PIDs for the height sensors.

The PCM calculates the algorithm for all the data that the VDM provides, and determines the voltage supplied to the CCD valves. The VDM also has the PIDs for that voltage.
So then. If the rear headlight sensor was relocated for any number of reasons, then this could be sending incorrect data and contributing to a harsh ride?

Snakebitten

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rear headlight sensor?
Do you mean the height sensor on the upper control arm? (front height sensor)

Or do you mean the rear height sensor built into the CCD damper on CCD trucks?

I honestly can't say I understand it well enough to say for certain.

I would assume that CCD is probably more influenced by the rate of change on the height sensors, than the starting position itself.

However it would also make sense that the scales data, which definitely are driven by the position of the height sensor, might also be taken into account for the CCD damping command. So a mispositioned height sensor might be indicating false weight?

DBL R

First Name
Jarred
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 powerboost
Occupation
PA
Rear headlight sensor?
Do you mean the height sensor on the upper control arm? (front height sensor)

Or do you mean the rear height sensor built into the CCD damper on CCD trucks?

I honestly can't say I understand it well enough to say for certain.

I would assume that CCD is probably more influenced by the rate of change on the height sensors, than the starting position itself.

However it would also make sense that the scales data, which definitely are driven by the position of the height sensor, might also be taken into account for the CCD damping command. So a mispositioned height sensor might be indicating false weight?

Just crawled under my truck. Looks like when they installed my airbags they removed the rear load leveling sensory. I haven’t been able to figure out where they relocated it. I wonder if that is playing a role here.

Sponsored

Snakebitten

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Are you CCD?

Snakebitten

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
I don't think they could possibly remove your height sensors in the rear. They are built into the rear shock housing.

Ford F-150 Articulated sensor slightly behind driver-side back axle? 20220508_184837
Sponsored