• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

greenne

First Name
Nathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning (Ordered 6/19, delivered 10/28/22)
Not when you look at the whole picture. Electricity has to be produced..... It's not free.... and when everyone converts the utility cost will increase. No need to post articles, I have a lot of experience with "green new dealz", I mean "infrastructure"
Not me since I have solar on my house and give more to the grid than I take...
Sponsored

wingfiry

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Lightning Lariat ER
Ultimately, the "cleanliness" of charging will depend on location. If users have solar/wind onsite that really takes them *mostly* out of the equation, but there is no set percentage of how much electricity is generated by fossil fuels, nuclear, wind, solar, etc. It varies by state to state and sometimes county by county.

There are already several companies that recycle EV batteries and more will come. The batteries are near 100% recyclable, so long-term environmental impact for the batteries *should* be minimal.

As with many things, it's neither "EVs have ZERO carbon impact" *nor* "EVs have the same or more carbon impact than ICE vehicles". It's somewhere in the middle depending on location and dozens of other variables.

FtS

First Name
Ft
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Outback
Not when you look at the whole picture. Electricity has to be produced..... It's not free.... and when everyone converts the utility cost will increase. No need to post articles, I have a lot of experience with "green new dealz", I mean "infrastructure"
I am having hard time keeping my head straight in this discussion, sorry for my ignorance.

Are you saying that when we look at the whole production line of producing electricity, the increased use of EVs will drive up the cost of it, hence it will not be as economical as some think of using it compared to gasoline?

Or, electricity is not as 'clean' as some make it out to be, hence the environmental benefits of using electricity over carbon-based sources are not going to make much of a positive impact on the environment?

Of, both?

So many different voices, I am not sure I understand.

Thank you.

greenne

First Name
Nathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning (Ordered 6/19, delivered 10/28/22)
Most of the noise about EVs being even comparable to ICE automobiles(pollution) is nonsense. Its not even close. Even assuming the worst scenario.(i.e. coal produces the electricity) EVs become cleaner than ICE very early in life. That also assumes the grid doesn't become cleaner as we go along...most states are increasing the use of renewables. As far as batteries I feel certain they will be mostly recycled, hell nowdays in most areas you can't throw away a Lithium battery without someone raising a stink.

When do electric vehicles become cleaner than gasoline cars? (autoblog.com)

Footnote: On average 20% of electricity in the US comes from coal, decreasing every year

FordLightning

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Deposit on Ford Lightning
I think one reasonable argument, is that much of this new “green“ stuff has helped subsidize China at the expense of the US. Batteries, rare earth magnets, and solar vs. stuff that comes from the US (coal, natural gas).

So when a 30% subsidy benefits a Chinese made solar plant, or a $7,500 tax credit goes to Volvo (Chinese owned) normal people can wonder if that makes much sense.

Sponsored

agentorange

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-Series
Occupation
ME
Independence is anti-digital and you all support the matrix when you don't do your own research.

You just rely on google documents?

RickKeen

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150L SR Pro
Occupation
sw engineering manager,
Sure, on the occasional longer road trip, you will have to add a few hours for charging.
But you will make up a lot of that time in your every day driving around town. You will NEVER have to go to a gas station again (presuming you can charge at home).
Do the math - refueling an ICE every 2 weeks x 15 minutes is over 6 hours of refueling per year.

If you plan your road trip a little, you can actually make productive use of EV charging time:

- Meals. Stopping and having an hour for lunch is a lot more relaxing than hitting a drive through and wolfing down a Big Mac at 70 mph.
- Grocery Shopping. Many fast chargers are in Wallmart / Sam's club parking lots. If your destination is a cabin or camp site, or someplace you will be staying for a few days, you won't need to make a separate trip for the food and booze. On the way home, you can pickup your regular grocery purchases on one of the last few stops.
- Shopping. Many fast chargers are in Mall parking lots. Last trip we took, we got some Christmas shopping done.
- Watching the game. A lot of those Wallmarts have pubs and sports bars in their parking lots. Taking an hour to catch the end of the football game or at least see the highlights.
- Convenience store stuff / Bio break. Wallmart has ALL the stuff you would buy at a gas station convenience store. And they keep their bathrooms at a predictable level of cleanliness.
- Sleeping. If your trip involves a hotel/motel stay, its easy enough to pick one with a level 2 charger that will have your vehicle charged and ready to go for you in the morning.
- Exercise. Get out of the vehicle and go for a walk.
- Nap. If nothing else, you can take a nap in your car while you wait to charge. Who doesn't enjoy a mid-day siesta.

FordLightningMan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150
Sure, on the occasional longer road trip, you will have to add a few hours for charging.
But you will make up a lot of that time in your every day driving around town. You will NEVER have to go to a gas station again (presuming you can charge at home).
Do the math - refueling an ICE every 2 weeks x 15 minutes is over 6 hours of refueling per year.

If you plan your road trip a little, you can actually make productive use of EV charging time:

- Meals. Stopping and having an hour for lunch is a lot more relaxing than hitting a drive through and wolfing down a Big Mac at 70 mph.
- Grocery Shopping. Many fast chargers are in Wallmart / Sam's club parking lots. If your destination is a cabin or camp site, or someplace you will be staying for a few days, you won't need to make a separate trip for the food and booze. On the way home, you can pickup your regular grocery purchases on one of the last few stops.
- Shopping. Many fast chargers are in Mall parking lots. Last trip we took, we got some Christmas shopping done.
- Watching the game. A lot of those Wallmarts have pubs and sports bars in their parking lots. Taking an hour to catch the end of the football game or at least see the highlights.
- Convenience store stuff / Bio break. Wallmart has ALL the stuff you would buy at a gas station convenience store. And they keep their bathrooms at a predictable level of cleanliness.
- Sleeping. If your trip involves a hotel/motel stay, its easy enough to pick one with a level 2 charger that will have your vehicle charged and ready to go for you in the morning.
- Exercise. Get out of the vehicle and go for a walk.
- Nap. If nothing else, you can take a nap in your car while you wait to charge. Who doesn't enjoy a mid-day siesta.
NY schools are going down the drain, ever since I don't fund them by buying a scratch off when I refuel. I imagine I've saved a few hundred bucks a year though, Lightning wins again!
Sponsored