Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 F-150 Lariat Sport 4x4 SCab, '18 Linc MKZ Hyb
Occupation
Retired Electrical Engineer
Which one did you buy and from whom?
I got the Builtright latch release directly from the manufacturer. It is also available on Amazon along with less expensive knockoff versions. Mine works fine. Not sure if the other ones work or are made as well as the Builtright.

mustanga10

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Lariat FX4 Sport 2015 Subaru Outback
Occupation
Public Service/Government
Armrest lid FIXED:
Complete write-up with how to. This repair will cost about $0.10 and 2 minutes.
Tools needed: Slotted screwdriver
First, go to the auto parts store, you are looking for any type of candy bar or treat. Pick up your favorite and go back out to your truck.
Next, lift up the armrest and curse that you have to hold it up. With the free hand, remove the trim piece directly below the spring to reveal the entire spring, hinge and bracket. The springs each have one "leg" that rests against the metal bracket; those are what will be adjusted.
Take two nickels from your coin holder and set aside. With the slotted screwdriver, gently pry/lift up one of the legs on one of the springs. Slide nickel below raised leg and remove screwdriver. Repeat for the other spring. Now, let go of the armrest and BAM! Stays up!

Jump back into the driver's seat and drop that candy bar/treat into the now "hands free" fully opened console for future snacking.

Console1.jpg

Console2.jpg
Thanks for the fix!! I ended up fixing mine using 2 dimes to make it just right.

Sponsored

JohngaltinOC

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 lariat EB
Occupation
Finance
I installed one of those yesterday. I'm ignoring the floppy arm rest lid for the time being.
Rear seat release? Do tell plz

Whoosh

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21' PB F150,18&20 Ecoboost Explorer Platinum,
Occupation
Worker of lead
Why do you think that?

Why would anyone who wants to open and access the armrest storage box want it to default to the nearly closed position?

With what is a simple one-handed task with 100% of the other armrest storage designs I've experienced over the past 45 years, this is the only one that wants to close on your arm as you attempt to retrieve something.

Design flaw, weak spring, etc is my take on this. It also becomes a safety issue if when driving you have to use both arms/hands just to quickly retrieve something.
LOL, I love how the falling armrest is a safety issue while driving but reaching into the cavernous center console while driving can't be misconstrued as same

RJL1400

First Name
Big Red
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
formerly had 2008 Toyota Tundra
Occupation
retired
Armrest lid FIXED:
First, go to the auto parts store, you are looking for any type of candy bar or treat. Pick up your favorite and go back out to your truck.
Next, lift up the armrest and curse that you have to hold it up. With the free hand, remove the trim piece directly below the spring to reveal the entire spring, hinge and bracket. The springs each have one "leg" that rests against the metal bracket; those are what will be adjusted.
Take two nickels from your coin holder and set aside. With the slotted screwdriver, gently pry/lift up one of the legs on one of the springs. Slide nickel below raised leg and remove screwdriver. Repeat for the other spring. Now, let go of the armrest and BAM! Stays up!

Jump back into the driver's seat and drop that candy bar/treat into the now "hands free" fully opened console for future snacking.

Console1.jpg

Console2.jpg
That was exactly what I was thinking. Glad someone posted here. I have the same issue and 43 miles on the truck. The rest of it I love!

JediNut

First Name
Emmett
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 Ford F-150 Lariat PowerBoost
Occupation
Old Time Geek
The "Nickel Solution" worked perfectly for me!!!

Thanks!

Sponsored

RJL1400

First Name
Big Red
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
formerly had 2008 Toyota Tundra
Occupation
retired
Armrest lid FIXED:

Console1.jpg

Console2.jpg
I tried going at the plastic with a screwdriver and it wasn't quite giving that easily and I only had 43 miles on it so rather than crack the plastic plating I figure I will wait a while and see if Ford will fix it when I go in for an oil change, but I love your fix.

OnceAnEagle

First Name
Walter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Ford F 150 Lariat Supercab Rapid Red
Occupation
Retired
My armrest doesn't stay in the fully opened position, and keeps dropping down on my hand when getting things out of the compartment.... Becomes an annoying 2 hand task, one to keep it open and up, the other to retrieve something.

Anyone else having this issue? Any advice on how to fix? I see there is a screw on the underside of the interior hinge, so thinking about trying to take it apart to see if I can somehow stiffen the spring that's intended to keep it fully upright and open.

2021-06-30 12.02.14.jpg
Someone put a nickel under the spring and that solved it. Might be a video somewhere online. Should not have to do it but might be worth a try or get a new one under warranty.

ZWARRIOR

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Ford F-150 Lariat 501A 2.7l
Occupation
Software Engineer
Mine works fine, but man I will keep that penny mod in case it stops in the future

twelpo19

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 King Rach, 2019 Jeep JLU Rubicon
Occupation
IT Consultant
Thank you all for the info - looking forward to fixing this annoying issue.

Leadfoot

First Name
Marcy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Lariat & 2015 Mustang GT 50 Year LE
Occupation
CFO / Office Mgr.
The rear seat release was easy to install. They have a good video. It works great.
I cannot get my seat released to install the rear seat released dookickey. I pulled the rear seat pulls out from their tucked in position but neither of us can get the seats to release. Am I missing something?
Sponsored