First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Limited PowerBoost Smoked Quartz
Occupation
Gainfully Retired
For all those having a hard time trying to pry up the spring ends, use a very small and thin flat blade screwdriver. You will be upside down and contorted a bit, but the result is worth it!

Doggy-Dog

First Name
Ted
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 Pacifica Limited & 2021 Loaded Lariat
Occupation
Retired
For all those having a hard time trying to pry up the spring ends, use a very small and thin flat blade screwdriver. You will be upside down and contorted a bit, but the result is worth it!
Tried that and even used a wood chisel that has a thinner point. No such luck with those flat end springs.
But, we do have some success. I took my Vise-Grip pliers and grabbed that flat spring and pinched the hell out of it and managed to get it pulled up enough to get the nickels in place. If you have a second person to insert the nickels it would be MUCH less of a job. Lid stays up better but not as good as it should if Ford would have put the correct spring in place.

vriggy_3

First Name
Darin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Ford F-150 Lariat, 2005 Ford Mustang GT
I was able to cram a couple pennies under each end using this method a couple weeks ago. Ergonomically, it's very hard to get leverage on the springs to sneak a coin under, but it does stay up much better now. I was able to pull the passenger side out with a needle-nose for one penny, but had to revert to a small screw driver and do some prying for the remaining pennies. Just takes a lot of patience.

Doggy-Dog

First Name
Ted
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 Pacifica Limited & 2021 Loaded Lariat
Occupation
Retired
No way could I get the other two nickels under the upper spring ends. So I removed the two on the lower part and used double sided tape on two nickels for each spring. I had to grunt to the max with the Vise-Grip pliers to get the double nickels in place. Now when I release the latch it pops up about 1/4 of its ;normal travel. Push it up and it stays open.
Thanks Hambone.

Sponsored

RayRay

First Name
Ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 XLT SPORT SCAB 302A 2.7
Tried that and even used a wood chisel that has a thinner point. No such luck with those flat end springs.
But, we do have some success. I took my Vise-Grip pliers and grabbed that flat spring and pinched the hell out of it and managed to get it pulled up enough to get the nickels in place. If you have a second person to insert the nickels it would be MUCH less of a job. Lid stays up better but not as good as it should if Ford would have put the correct spring in place.
Yup
That’s what I did today.
Needle nose vies grips worked well.
The nickels weren’t enough. Took those out and put in hex nuts that were just over double the thickness of the nickels.
Lid now stays up when on an incline.
As long as those nuts don’t pop out of there, should be all good.

Coacher

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 XLT SCREW 3.5 302a
I noticed a couple posters thinking Ford spec’d the wrong spring. I agree with an earlier poster who believes it was to prevent folks digging around in there while driving. It’s big and deep and taking your eyes off the road for a prolonged period of time could lead to disaster.

Two dimes worked for me.

Pete6114

First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150, 2023 Lincoln Aviator
Occupation
Retired Ford employee
Thought i had the same problem, but found that i hadn't opened the lid all the way. It does stay up!

cdberkman

First Name
Christopher
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F150 Lariat 501A, Sport, Super Crew, 3.5L
I just tried and after 30 minutes and 5 attempts with every tool on my wall, removed the passenger side door, took out the engine, removed the left rear wheel deflated the right front, used a crowbar jackhammer and weed whacker. The springs will not budge (mine are flat too). I gave up. I hate being defeated, especially by a little spring. I just have to get the engine back in... yea, not sure why I pulled the engine.. Maybe if I disconnect the drive shaft, it will release tension on the center console spring, that may work.

Duckgumbeaux

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Platinum
Occupation
Retired
I just tried and after 30 minutes and 5 attempts with every tool on my wall, removed the passenger side door, took out the engine, removed the left rear wheel deflated the right front, used a crowbar jackhammer and weed whacker. The springs will not budge (mine are flat too). I gave up. I hate being defeated, especially by a little spring. I just have to get the engine back in... yea, not sure why I pulled the engine.. Maybe if I disconnect the drive shaft, it will release tension on the center console spring, that may work.
it is not an easy process but does work. I removed the cover below the springs which was easy. I have the flat springs and used a pair of vice grip pliers to get the two nickels in the lower springs. Now for the fun part. After about 30 minutes with the upper springs and no luck, I went to the hardware store and purchased some needle nose vice grips. That worked very quickly and now my arm rest works properly.
On another note, I hate this site because it costs money to do crap I never thought of?

Sponsored

Biocast

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Lariat Hybrid 7.2kW
Occupation
Property Mgt
Great fix KartRacer25!!

Leaf FNIAM

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 XLT Sport 2.7
I might have pulled a muscle or three but 10 minute and 10 cents and the arm rest stays open! Thanks for the tips!

Bbass5

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F 150
On another note, I hate this site because it costs money to do crap I never thought of?
Ha, that’s so true! I have like 9 things in my Amazon cart for when my truck arrives thanks to this site

Shorty Antenna, Wireless Charger, Rear Seat Release, Bull Rings, Tailgate letters, etc…

Duckgumbeaux

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Platinum
Occupation
Retired
Ha, that’s so true! I have like 9 things in my Amazon cart for when my truck arrives thanks to this site

Shorty Antenna, Wireless Charger, Rear Seat Release, Bull Rings, Tailgate letters, etc…
Damn I forgot about rear seat release!

JeffC57

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 F-150 Lariat Sport 4x4 SCab, '18 Linc MKZ Hyb
Occupation
Retired Electrical Engineer
Damn I forgot about rear seat release!
I installed one of those yesterday. I'm ignoring the floppy arm rest lid for the time being.
Sponsored