First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 SuperCab Sport 4x4 5.0 3.73 Space White
Occupation
Senior Software Engineer
Thanks. I did it. Definitely helped. Not so easy for me. Springs are flat, had to use pliers to pull up. Worth the effort though. I use the lid most every day. Crunchy Cheetos are my reward...
Ford F-150 Armrest Not Staying Up In Open Position 20210708_164133

trim to remove. I think if you reach under bottom and pull the 2 from bottom 1st then work the other ones out it comes out pretty easy. Ham fisted it back in.
Ford F-150 Armrest Not Staying Up In Open Position 20210708_164038
Sponsored

Last edited:
OP
OP
Smitdog

Smitdog

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Limited PowerBoost Smoked Quartz
Occupation
Gainfully Retired
Two nickels didn't quite do it, still left armrest half open/closed. Four nickels did the trick though, but had to basically place my head upside-down in order to do the top ones. Lid opens with some gusto now.

Thanks again for the tip!

Ford F-150 Armrest Not Staying Up In Open Position 2021-07-09 16.56.03

diesel97

First Name
rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford Edge
Occupation
electrical
I'm cheap after a 60K truck, will pennies work LOL

Lippy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 Powerboost
Thanks! That worked well. Being sometimes anal, instead of the coins I cut two small pieces of 1/8” x 3/4” x 1/2” stainless bar and cleaned them up with a Roloc wheel.

Sponsored

Doggy-Dog

First Name
Ted
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 Pacifica Limited & 2021 Loaded Lariat
Occupation
Retired
FANTASTIC!
UPDATE:
Well, Ford must have found a new version of the spring for my truck. Mine stays up if truck not moving and not pointed downhill. But as for moving that spring end, well, I spent at least a half hour bending, twisting, pulling, and everything else one can think of and that spring end will not budge. Even pulling with a BIG pair of electrical pliers and it will not move. I would like it to hold better than it does and may consider removing the lid and get it on the work bench where it may be a less of being a contortionist while working on it. We shall see.......
Still a great idea.

Last edited:

Blueshound

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150
Thanks for the great and creative fix. This reminds me of one of the opening chapters of Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance. His friend had a fancy bike but the handlebar was loose. The friend was utterly horrified when he suggested using a bit of beer can to shim the clamp. The friend insisted on taking it to the dealership to have it fixed professionally. Moral being, there are two types of vehicle owners . . .

Doggy-Dog

First Name
Ted
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired
Since my spring ends are impossible to move I have discovered if you reach back and unlatch the top cover and then open up the front, the top will hang in the back seat like a counter weight on a crane. What I really think is that Ford put the weak spring in there to keep you out while driving. When stopped you can use both hands. One to hold it open and the other to get your junk out of there.

Coacher

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 XLT SCREW 3.5 302a
Armrest lid FIXED:
Complete write-up with how to. This repair will cost about $0.10 and 2 minutes.
Tools needed: Slotted screwdriver
First, go to the auto parts store, you are looking for any type of candy bar or treat. Pick up your favorite and go back out to your truck.
Next, lift up the armrest and curse that you have to hold it up. With the free hand, remove the trim piece directly below the spring to reveal the entire spring, hinge and bracket. The springs each have one "leg" that rests against the metal bracket; those are what will be adjusted.
Take two nickels from your coin holder and set aside. With the slotted screwdriver, gently pry/lift up one of the legs on one of the springs. Slide nickel below raised leg and remove screwdriver. Repeat for the other spring. Now, let go of the armrest and BAM! Stays up!

Jump back into the driver's seat and drop that candy bar/treat into the now "hands free" fully opened console for future snacking.

Console1.jpg

Console2.jpg
Thank you!

RayRay

First Name
Ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 XLT SPORT SCAB 302A 2.7
FANTASTIC!
UPDATE:
Well, Ford must have found a new version of the spring for my truck. Mine stays up if truck not moving and not pointed downhill. But as for moving that spring end, well, I spent at least a half hour bending, twisting, pulling, and everything else one can think of and that spring end will not budge. Even pulling with a BIG pair of electrical pliers and it will not move. I would like it to hold better than it does and may consider removing the lid and get it on the work bench where it may be a less of being a contortionist while working on it. We shall see.......
Still a great idea.
I messed around with this yesterday and there is no way I can get those springs to move. Too bad. Looks it would have been an easy fix otherwise. If you get it off and do it on the bench, let us know how it worked out.

Sponsored

RayRay

First Name
Ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 XLT SPORT SCAB 302A 2.7
This is what my springs look like.
They are a “square cut” material not round like the pics above with the coins in.
So far, near impossible to move these.

Ford F-150 Armrest Not Staying Up In Open Position 1627849396538

Last edited:

Doggy-Dog

First Name
Ted
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired
I messed around with this yesterday and there is no way I can get those springs to move. Too bad. Looks it would have been an easy fix otherwise. If you get it off and do it on the bench, let us know how it worked out.
It didn't. After removing more screws than I can count to just get the cupholders out of the way, I saw more screws holding the cover on that were low down and very hard to reach. I decided it was not worth it and gave up.:cry:

KartRacer25

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 SuperCab Sport 4x4 5.0 3.73 Space White
Occupation
Senior Software Engineer
RayRay

Yeh I had the flat coils too, not round so had to use a very good pair of needle nose plier. Barely lifted with one hand and slipped it in with other. Several attempts each. Serious pain, but worked.
Pennies not so good , easier to get in though, I had to upgrade to 2 nickels.
No way I could get to the other 2 without removing lid etc etc
Sponsored