First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 F-150 Lariat Sport 4x4 SCab, '18 Linc MKZ Hyb
Occupation
Retired Electrical Engineer
I cannot get my seat released to install the rear seat released dookickey. I pulled the rear seat pulls out from their tucked in position but neither of us can get the seats to release. Am I missing something?
My experience is with an extended cab. I think it is the same for a crew cab but I am not certain. I think you are pulling on the attachments for child seats not the seat back release. The smaller seat back has a release pull on the side of the back closest to the door to make it easier to get to the tire jack. The larger seat back has a release that is short and hard to reach from the top about in the middle of the seat back. This is the seat back that benefits from a seat release doohickey. Some have fished for it with a stiff wire or just tried to get it by stuffing their hand behind the seat back. There is also an instruction video by the after market seat release manufacture that provides a method to release it from below. That may not work if your Lariat has the upgraded sound system because the amp is in the way.
I really don’t know how hard this is to do because my seat back was not latched when I got the truck and installed the after market release before I latched it properly.
BTW this is OT from the original post and I never intended the thread to go down this path with my original comment. There is separate thread on the after market seat release.

hhttps://www.f150gen14.com/forum/threads/rear-seat-locking-mechanism.4319/

I hope you get it figured out.
Sponsored

Leadfoot

First Name
Marcy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Lariat & 2015 Mustang GT 50 Year LE
Occupation
CFO / Office Mgr.
My experience is with an extended cab. I think it is the same for a crew cab but I am not certain. I think you are pulling on the attachments for child seats not the seat back release. The smaller seat back has a release pull on the side of the back closest to the door to make it easier to get to the tire jack. The larger seat back has a release that is short and hard to reach from the top about in the middle of the seat back. This is the seat back that benefits from a seat release doohickey. Some have fished for it with a stiff wire or just tried to get it by stuffing their hand behind the seat back. There is also an instruction video by the after market seat release manufacture that provides a method to release it from below. That may not work if your Lariat has the upgraded sound system because the amp is in the way.
I really don’t know how hard this is to do because my seat back was not latched when I got the truck and installed the after market release before I latched it properly.
BTW this is OT from the original post and I never intended the thread to go down this path with my original comment. There is separate thread on the after market seat release.

hhttps://www.f150gen14.com/forum/threads/rear-seat-locking-mechanism.4319/

I hope you get it figured out.
Thank you!

Jrohner78

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 xlt fx4
I had the flat springs and used a small (hobby type) flat head screw driver to pry it out enough to slide a dime and a nickel in..that's right .15 cent fix here ?.

JeffC57

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 F-150 Lariat Sport 4x4 SCab, '18 Linc MKZ Hyb
Occupation
Retired Electrical Engineer
I used the @Hambone method but was having trouble getting the trim piece off. The springs are exposed when the trim piece is in place and there is some space to get the nickel in where it needs to go. First I propped the lid open so I had 2 free hands. Then I slid a nickel behind the trim piece close to the flat end of the spring and held it in place. I pulled up on the flat end of the spring using large needle nose plyers and slid the nickel under the spring. I did the same on the other side. My fix cost me $0.20 because a couple of nickels got away from me & fell down behind the trim piece. My lid now stands up when opened.
Another great tip from this forum!

diesel97

First Name
rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford Edge
Occupation
electrical
I used the @Hambone method but was having trouble getting the trim piece off. The springs are exposed when the trim piece is in place and there is some space to get the nickel in where it needs to go. First I propped the lid open so I had 2 free hands. Then I slid a nickel behind the trim piece close to the flat end of the spring and held it in place. I pulled up on the flat end of the spring using large needle nose plyers and slid the nickel under the spring. I did the same on the other side. My fix cost me $0.20 because a couple of nickels got away from me & fell down behind the trim piece. My lid now stands up when opened.
Another great tip from this forum!
Now you have a 10 cent rattle but a cover that stays up LOL

Sponsored

creamyone

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Powerboost
Occupation
Ret Army
Well i started off with two nickels on the bottom springs but that was not strong enough. Then i saw mxlchgo idea above and tried to find some of those metal spacers since i thought they looked better than nickels. Couldn't find none local so i decided to try these nylon style ones i found and they seem to be working good so far(will see how long they hold up). I put 4 on total. I have a builtright molle panel on my armrest with workstation so it's a little heavy. I also bought a nice set of needlenose locking pliers that made the top springs much easier to move.

Ford F-150 Armrest Not Staying Up In Open Position IMG_3372

Ford F-150 Armrest Not Staying Up In Open Position IMG_3371.JPG

Ford F-150 Armrest Not Staying Up In Open Position IMG_3363

BILDOZER

First Name
BILL
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Ford F150 Lariat, 2017 Ford Escape
Occupation
Management
Two Nickles did the trick! I just used a very thin flat blade screwdriver and put two nickles under the upper spring. TY!

dcamm94

First Name
Fort Worth
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 King Ranch FX4 Powerboost; 2015 Lexus GX
My fix was similar but I used a hillman chrysler nylon license plate lug with a dremel-cut channel in the side to seat the flat spring. The needle vise-grips are a necessity. Used a coping saw to cut off the insert flange. It's a little thicker than a nickel, so I didn't have to address the top of the springs.
Ford F-150 Armrest Not Staying Up In Open Position IMG_3058

Ford F-150 Armrest Not Staying Up In Open Position IMG_3065

Ford F-150 Armrest Not Staying Up In Open Position IMG_3067

Sponsored

Woffy2u

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 f150 larriat. 2019 Raptor
Occupation
Field service
My new 2022 lariat sport with work station has the same problem.
This could be a DANGER while driving down the highway and trying to get anything out of the console.

FORD NEEDS TO FIX THIS AND SOON!!!

Zengineer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lariat 157wb
Armrest lid FIXED:
Complete write-up with how to. This repair will cost about $0.10 and 2 minutes.
Tools needed: Slotted screwdriver
First, go to the auto parts store, you are looking for any type of candy bar or treat. Pick up your favorite and go back out to your truck.
Next, lift up the armrest and curse that you have to hold it up. With the free hand, remove the trim piece directly below the spring to reveal the entire spring, hinge and bracket. The springs each have one "leg" that rests against the metal bracket; those are what will be adjusted.
Take two nickels from your coin holder and set aside. With the slotted screwdriver, gently pry/lift up one of the legs on one of the springs. Slide nickel below raised leg and remove screwdriver. Repeat for the other spring. Now, let go of the armrest and BAM! Stays up!

Jump back into the driver's seat and drop that candy bar/treat into the now "hands free" fully opened console for future snacking.

Console1.jpg

Console2.jpg
I should have read this a week ago before I installed my Console Vault. It blocks pulling the cover panel off completely. Probably worth taking it out and doing this fix at some point. It's bad enough that the work surface lid is so thick that it's awkward getting at the most important thing I keep in there but having it fall down so easily is too much to deal with long term.

Edit: Looked closer and that cover doesn't really need to come off. I used 20 cent Euros on the top (cover side) tangs. I'm sure I have something black and maybe plastic in my basement if I look through a few dozen bins of misc. bits so if the thickness seems right after a few days I'll do a more downtown job.
Ford F-150 Armrest Not Staying Up In Open Position 20220813_100453

Ford F-150 Armrest Not Staying Up In Open Position 20220813_100433

This looks promising...
Ford F-150 Armrest Not Staying Up In Open Position 20220813_102034

Last edited:

Zengineer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lariat 157wb
This could be a DANGER while driving down the highway and trying to get anything out of the console.

Are you always such a drama queen? Go borrow a screwdriver from your sister, find some coins under your mom's couch cushions and take the world by the horns.

Last edited:

notabot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Yes

Not any kind of danger if you use some common sense and don't muck around with non-driving tasks whilst oout and aboot on the public roadways...

(added canoodian instructions too...)

Zengineer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lariat 157wb
Not any kind of danger if you use some common sense and don't muck around with non-driving tasks whilst oout and aboot on the public roadways...

(added canoodian instructions too...)
And they joined the forum just to post that breathless danger warning...
Sponsored