Sponsored

Are "Used" 2021 F-150's about to become a hot commodity?

bgalakazam

First Name
Lubo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 500A Lariat 4x4 5.0L
I was thinking of selling… used and new trucks overseas are so few and way overpriced. I can definitelly at least break even. But i got the truck i wanted so i rather keep.
Sponsored

GEN14OWNER

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 RCSB 5.0 F150 XLT
Occupation
Retired
I've seen 3 trucks like mine (RCSB 5.0 4x4) on line asking on average $1,000.00 more than what I paid in November.

And ALL of them had less options and more milage.

I REALIZE that just because "they're asking" doesn't mean that's what they're going to sell for but...

I was fortunate enough to get the 0% FoMoCredit financing on a 6-year loan so I'd be stupid to give up all that free money with interest rates going up and the value of the dollar going down.

Plus, I just LOVE this truck!

I'm just used to assuming I'm going to flush $10K driving it off the lot and am shocked to see what's happening. Crazy...

Buyer2021

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lariat SuperCab and 2005 XLT SuperCab
Occupation
retired!
IMO since WWII until the last ~24 months there's not been a time when both new and used inventory have been so limited. That means there's no long term history for the market (demand vs supply) situation as it stands now and 'historic' notions abut resale prices simply don't apply.

Even the '24-month' trends are now shifting due to rising interest rates. Methinks all of this has the potential to change again with little if any advance warning. IMO all that combines to make long-term planning or predictions extremely difficult and essentially 'un-bankable'.

As an example, I sold my one-owner 2019 Honda Ridgeline RTL-E (a great truck BTW, just not capable of my towing requirements) this spring, when local inventories for everything were very limited and interest rates were still very low. No great foresight or crystal ball, it was just a convenient time to liquidate that in anticipation of receiving my new Lariat and Granger Ford had already advised I could probably do better selling in my 'Honda friendly' Austin, TX market than trading to them in Iowa where Ridgeline's aren't so popular.

I got a quote from CarMax and then sold to a local Chevy dealer advertising "We pay $500 above any CarMax offer". I recovered:
  • The full original drive-out price (including original TT&L and dealer fees)
  • The loan interest I'd paid (it was paid-off before I sold it)
  • The cost of my comprehensive insurance for the term of ownership
So 3 years of daily driving the Ridgeline cost me gas and oil, period, which is stunning to me compared to 'historic' experience. I'd never experienced a vehicle appreciating in value, ever (not a 'specialty / classic' vehicle by any means). I'd obviously have done even better if I'd bothered to sell it to an end-user myself (I didn't want the hassle).

IMO that was a 'luck of timing' situation, I doubt I'd do as well at this moment given interest hikes which have slightly softened the seller's market.

It's a crazy world out there these days, IMO better to be a seller than a buyer for the time-being, but that could change at the drop of a hat.

Personally I don't think F150's hold, or will hold, any 'special standing' in any of this; I think the overall supply / demand / and money availability will rule for all vehicles.

Last edited:

Zengineer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lariat 157wb
I drove my 2020 for 2 years and 17,000 miles. Sold it privately for over what I paid without tax and just a few grand under my out the door price plus the add-ons. All in I considered it equivalent to having leased a $60,000 truck for 24 months at $175/mo. Fortunately I was able to find a 2022 quickly.

Rockman5159

First Name
Rocky
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 ford f150 FX4
Occupation
retired
Given the incoming "shortage" of trucks from the shutdown and chip shortage, is the resale value of recently purchased F-150's going to be higher than your typical depreciation or is the shortage not really going to affect anything?
I have a 2021 xlt rcsb Fx4 and Car Max offered me above what the window sticker was on mine. I wanted to jump on it but dont know if or when I could get another RCSB

Rockman5159

First Name
Rocky
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 ford f150 FX4
Occupation
retired
IMO since WWII until the last ~24 months there's not been a time when both new and used inventory have been so limited. That means there's no long term history for the market (demand vs supply) situation as it stands now and 'historic' notions abut resale prices simply don't apply.

Even the '24-month' trends are now shifting due to rising interest rates. Methinks all of this has the potential to change again with little if any advance warning. IMO all that combines to make long-term planning or predictions extremely difficult and essentially 'un-bankable'.

As an example, I sold my one-owner 2019 Honda Ridgeline RTL-E (a great truck BTW, just not capable of my towing requirements) this spring, when local inventories for everything were very limited and interest rates were still very low. No great foresight or crystal ball, it was just a convenient time to liquidate that in anticipation of receiving my new Lariat and Granger Ford had already advised I could probably do better selling in my 'Honda friendly' Austin, TX market than trading to them in Iowa where Ridgeline's aren't so popular.

I got a quote from CarMax and then sold to a local Chevy dealer advertising "We pay $500 above any CarMax offer". I recovered:
  • The full original drive-out price (including original TT&L and dealer fees)
  • The loan interest I'd paid (it was paid-off before I sold it)
  • The cost of my comprehensive insurance for the term of ownership
So 3 years of daily driving the Ridgeline cost me gas and oil, period, which is stunning to me compared to 'historic' experience. I'd never experienced a vehicle appreciating in value, ever (not a 'specialty / classic' vehicle by any means). I'd obviously have done even better if I'd bothered to sell it to an end-user myself (I didn't want the hassle).

IMO that was a 'luck of timing' situation, I doubt I'd do as well at this moment given interest hikes which have slightly softened the seller's market.

It's a crazy world out there these days, IMO better to be a seller than a buyer for the time-being, but that could change at the drop of a hat.

Personally I don't think F150's hold, or will hold, any 'special standing' in any of this; I think the overall supply / demand / and money availability will rule for all vehicles.
Honda and Toyota have a strong resale value
Sponsored