Sponsored

Are Tow Mirrors Chrome Capped on Lariat Sport (with FX4)

Nealek

First Name
Neale
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150
Hello all. It's difficult to get a straight answers from my dealer and I'm hopeful that someone here has received this truck and can confirm. Are the Tow mirrors on a Lariat Sport Appearance package (with FX4 as well) chrome capped or all black? Pictures and confirmation would be great. I'm waiting on delivery of my 2022 and wondering if I need to go ahead and order a set of black caps. If it matters, my truck will be black as well. Thanks in advance. @dwigit_99
Sponsored

Kidder

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 Lariat 3.5EB SCREW 157"
Hello all. It's difficult to get a straight answers from my dealer and I'm hopeful that someone here has received this truck and can confirm. Are the Tow mirrors on a Lariat Sport Appearance package (with FX4 as well) chrome capped or all black? Pictures and confirmation would be great. I'm waiting on delivery of my 2022 and wondering if I need to go ahead and order a set of black caps. If it matters, my truck will be black as well. Thanks in advance. @dwigit_99
For some reason the Lariat Sport gets chrome capped tow mirrors. The XLT gets black.
It's stupid, I know. I'm going to either get mine painted or wrapped or just order the XLT caps.

12Lariat21

First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Lariat 502A
Occupation
Engineering Manager
Yes the Lariat Power folding tow mirrors only come with Chrome caps, even with the sport package (at least in 2021 they did). Not sure if there are any updates for 2022 models, or with the Black appearance package.

I ordered the flat black XLT mirror caps and swapped mine out as soon as I got it. They are around $20 each.

If you are in the process of ordering, see if the dealer will throw that in as part of the deal.

Well shit, looks like ford is just being lazy. The super duty lariat with power tow-mirrors has black caps....so it's not like the combination doesn't exist in their system. Just a cash grab for people to buy the black caps to replace their chrome....

Last edited:

Kidder

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
From the 2022 Order Guide (under Free Standing Options) for the Lariat Series:

Power-folding, PowerScope® Telescoping, Power Glass Trailer Tow Mirrors with Heat, Turn
Signal, Memory, Auto-Dimming Feature (Driver's Side), High-Intensity LED Security
Approach Lamps and Chrome Skull Caps (req. 360-Degree Camera Package (763) and
Trailer Tow Pkg (53A) or Max Trailer Tow Pkg (53C); NA w/ Tow Technology Pkg (17T)

OP
OP
Nealek

Nealek

First Name
Neale
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150
Yes the Lariat Power folding tow mirrors only come with Chrome caps, even with the sport package (at least in 2021 they did). Not sure if there are any updates for 2022 models, or with the Black appearance package.

I ordered the flat black XLT mirror caps and swapped mine out as soon as I got it. They are around $20 each.

If you are in the process of ordering, see if the dealer will throw that in as part of the deal.

Well shit, looks like ford is just being lazy. The super duty lariat with power tow-mirrors has black caps....so it's not like the combination doesn't exist in their system. Just a cash grab for people to buy the black caps to replace their chrome....
Looking at the picture of your truck, that is EXACTLY what I'm trying to achieve. Looks great! Would you happen to have the part number for the caps?

Sponsored

12Lariat21

First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Lariat 502A
Occupation
Engineering Manager
I didn't have it written down anywhere, so I had to search them up in ford parts again. I just ordered mine directly through the ford parts website (via my local dealer) so the prices are what I have in Minnesota, not sure if they vary across the country....

Part# 17D742 - RH Black - $25.20
Part# 17D743 - LH Black - $25.20

https://parts.ford.com/shop/en/us/body/mirrors/outer-rear-view-mirror-13283757-1

It is odd that the Chrome caps show up with the same part, however much more expensive.

SumGuy

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 (perpetually on order)
Occupation
Drugs

I read on here the swap is not that difficult but you do break some tabs. Is that right? Can you share your experience?

12Lariat21

First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Lariat 502A
Occupation
Engineering Manager
I read on here the swap is not that difficult but you do break some tabs. Is that right? Can you share your experience?
Correct. there are...maybe 3 tabs, one on each side and one on the top, you can tip the mirror around to unlatch, but there is 1 in the middle of the bottom, that I'm sure is possible to get out without breaking, but after 5-10 minutes of trying, I just said screw it, and pulled the cap off and broke the tab.

I think I used a spare screwdriver or a wedge to hold the cap out so once the released tabs are out, otherwise they will re-latch as you try to release the others and you'll just be chasing them around.

Then the new caps just press on, and snap into place.

StoneGray22

First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 SCREW, 500A, 3.5 EB, 4x4, Max Tow, 157"
I just wish they were paint matched to the body like on the super duty lariats!

OP
OP
Nealek

Nealek

First Name
Neale
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150
Correct. there are...maybe 3 tabs, one on each side and one on the top, you can tip the mirror around to unlatch, but there is 1 in the middle of the bottom, that I'm sure is possible to get out without breaking, but after 5-10 minutes of trying, I just said screw it, and pulled the cap off and broke the tab.

I think I used a spare screwdriver or a wedge to hold the cap out so once the released tabs are out, otherwise they will re-latch as you try to release the others and you'll just be chasing them around.

Then the new caps just press on, and snap into place.
Thanks again for the information. I managed to source the caps from a local dealer. $34 each (Canadian). I’ll get them installed as soon as my truck comes in.

Sponsored

SumGuy

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 (perpetually on order)
Occupation
Drugs
Install is pretty dang easy. Set mirror glass to full tilt down. That exposes 3 tabs. I started at the far edge and you push the tab down with the screw driver and then pull out on the chrome cap with your other hand. then work the next two tabs. Then you have to pull out firmly as you have to break the center tab. Then pull off the mirror cap.

Next you simply snap on the black cap.

In total it takes 2-3 mins per side.

Take care to NOT put any leverage on the mirror glass. You dont need to at all, but just be sure you dont chip your mirror and make a $25(each side) upgrade into an expensive mistake.

llsjubal

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2015 Ford Explorer (ordering F150 Lariat in Nov)
I just built a 2022 Lariat with Sport Appearance package and tow mirrors. The mirrors on the rendering are all black with no chrome. If I change the build from SAP to the Chrome Appearance Package, the rendering makes the skull caps change to chrome. Maybe those of us that don't want chrome skull caps are now in luck with the 2022 version. I will find out for sure in February when I take delivery.

Last edited:

Kidder

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
I just built a 2022 Lariat with Sport Appearance package and tow mirrors. The mirrors on the rendering are all black with no chrome. If I change the build from SAP to the Chrome Appearance Package, the rendering makes the skull caps change to chrome. Maybe those of us that don't want chrome skull caps are now in luck with the 2022 version. I will find out for sure in February when I take delivery.
I'll spare you the suspense of not knowing. Here's my 22 Lariat 502A Sport with tow mirrors.

They ALMOST look silver but they are chrome caps.

Ford F-150 Are Tow Mirrors Chrome Capped on Lariat Sport (with FX4) 20220214_102214

llsjubal

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2015 Ford Explorer (ordering F150 Lariat in Nov)
I'll spare you the suspense of not knowing. Here's my 22 Lariat 502A Sport with tow mirrors.

They ALMOST look silver but they are chrome caps.

20220214_102214.jpg
Bastards. Thanks K