Sponsored

Are there any dashcams that actually work?

Groovicles

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 XLT PB
Thinkware and Viofo dashcams are garbage wrapped in crap. Since December I've tried both the Thinkware Q800Pro dual channel and Viofo A229 Duo dual channel dashcams. And I haven't been able to get the point where I could actually stick the cameras in my vehicle windshields!

The Thinkware Q800Pro garbage wouldn't bother connecting to its own app via wifi for me to do anything with it.

The Viofo A229 Duo garbage actually turned on out of the box once (shocking) but the camera/screen won't turn on after updating the firmware.

No amount of factory resets could fix what appears to have been built broken for either of these two useless pieces of cheap plastic.

Is anyone aware of any dashcams that actually work? Like, work for real and not just in our imaginations? Any suggestions on dashcam brands that can get past the loading screen would be great appreciated!
Sponsored

Fordphanatic

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Platinum F150
Occupation
Union Carpenter
Do yourself a favor go with blackvue. I have the DR900X 2 channel and love it. It's not cheap by any means but we'll worth it.

imnuts

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 502A Powerboost 4×4
Occupation
Facilities Engineer
You could have looked at the large dashcam thread that's already on here, but that was probably too hard. I've had zero issues with my Viofo A129 Pro Duo, and others here haven't had issues with it either. Given your post, I doubt you'll be happy with anything though, so maybe you should just get the new Ring dashcam and be done with it.

OP
OP

Groovicles

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 XLT PB
Do yourself a favor go with blackvue. I have the DR900X 2 channel and love it. It's not cheap by any means but we'll worth it.
I appreciate the suggestion. I didn't look at Blackvue at all, but looks like it might be the only option.

Sponsored

OP
OP

Groovicles

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 XLT PB
You could have looked at the large dashcam thread that's already on here, but that was probably too hard. I've had zero issues with my Viofo A129 Pro Duo, and others here haven't had issues with it either. Given your post, I doubt you'll be happy with anything though, so maybe you should just get the new Ring dashcam and be done with it.
Useless reply #1

notabot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Yes
FWIW, all dashcams suck and they all use one of the same 2 gpu/cpu combos. So, none is significantly better...

Useless reply #2
Easy now, this is the friendliest forum I visit... COG was just saying anyone telling you to go search is taking it too seriously. COG had a good post.

Sponsored

Kodiak

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F-150 Lariat PB 7.2k, 4x4 502a Atlas Blue BAP
For quality viewing of a dash cam you will need:
  • 4k resolution, minimum.
  • 60 fps minimum.
  • Quality video processing from the company.
  • Quality lens.
This is needed to reliably read moving license plates from the video. Compromises in any of the areas takes away the quality but that does not mean it is garbage. It could still work. For the most part technology is not there yet but getting closer all the time.

Mauimaikai

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 2.7 F-150 XLT 302a 4x4 SuperCrew
Is anyone aware of any dashcams that actually work?
To sum it all up the answer is NO. There is zero adequate dash cams on the market using the already existing tech in order to make a quality product. They are still selling 1080p dash cams at 30fps like they just came out. There are exceptions to the specs but ALL of them fall short.
I have the thinkware and the app most definitely is useless. I literally only have it for just incase and if I want to review any of my off road drives. There is zero cams out there that have a minimum 1440p (aka 2k) and 120fps which is what you would actually need to catch moving objects clearly especially signs/plates 60fps wont do it, I know I have tried them.

RickBullotta

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 Lariat Powerboost
I think that Ring dashcam is just gonna complicate battery and deep sleep mode issues. It draws a good bit of juice off of the OBDII port if you use the "connected" version.

imnuts

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 502A Powerboost 4×4
Occupation
Facilities Engineer
For quality viewing of a dash cam you will need:
  • 4k resolution, minimum.
  • 60 fps minimum.
  • Quality video processing from the company.
  • Quality lens.
This is needed to reliably read moving license plates from the video. Compromises in any of the areas takes away the quality but that does not mean it is garbage. It could still work. For the most part technology is not there yet but getting closer all the time.
I'm able to view plates on mine at high quality 4K recording at 30 fps. It does require stepping through slowly though, and for oncoming traffic is harder. I think 4k/30 fps is just slightly better than 1080p/60 fps for the same recording quality, but not much. Same direction traffic is fine with either from everything I've watched on my camera so far, it's more the oncoming traffic that's difficult to see.

OP, you can't post a big bitch fest on a topic covered very well in other threads and expect any useful responses. Be glad you got anything IMO.
Sponsored