First Name
Danny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F150 Platinum , Rapid Red Powerboost, BAP
Occupation
retired
OK, so this glitch just started this morning. I have a Lariat with the 12" screen and B&O standard . When using Carplay, and listening to Apple Music, it will only work in Carplay split screen. It will not go in to Carplay full screen when using Apple Music. When i try, the music stops playing. I tried using my wifes phone and it does the same thing, so i thing i ruled out that it is the phone. I unhooked the battery for a bit to reset it, but that did not help. Anyone else having this issue? It worked yesterday fine, and i don't think i had a update since then.
Sponsored

OP
OP
fordman2112

fordman2112

First Name
Danny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
retired
I do not mean full screen for the entire sync screen. I just mean the full Carplay screen. I realize only Sync 4 maps can take up entire screen. Hope that is not too confusing.

petemill

First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 f-150 powerboost, '11 ford escape v6
Occupation
Software
It will probably be a bug on the phone since the phone controls almost all of the UI for CarPlay. The vehicle just receives the pixels and sends the taps.

OP
OP
fordman2112

fordman2112

First Name
Danny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
retired
It will probably be a bug on the phone since the phone controls almost all of the UI for CarPlay. The vehicle just receives the pixels and sends the taps.
I just tried rebooting my phone, and also tried my wifes phone again, and still will not work. Only way Apple Music will play, is with it in split screen.

sonofzell

First Name
Kirk
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 F150 XLT Sport 2.7EB SCrew 302A High
I've had some carplay issues, but this is definitely the first I've heard of this. Not that finger-pointing is of any value here, but I do agree with @petemill in that the source issue is most likely on the Apple side of things.

Since I've not seen the issue myself I can't offer any specific fixes, but based on my sync4 experience, here's a few haymakers you can throw to see if you can get it working:

1. Remove your wife's phone from the sync settings. I have noticed some wonky behavior when more than one device is added, even if carplay is not enabled on both of them.

2. Temporarily disable CarPlay for your device. This is my first go-to for any carplay issues. Go to your sync phone list, disable carplay for your phone, wait a few seconds, then re-enable it. It's a bit of a "soft reset" tactic, but it's by far the easiest troubleshooting step! (I've seen others suggest doing the same from the phone side; disabling carplay and "forgetting" the truck... this hasn't proven effective to me, but it certainly can't hurt to try in addition to the above)

3. Remove your phone from the sync system. To take #3 a step further, you can try completely removing the device from your truck's settings, then re-adding it; perhaps with a power-cycle of the phone and/or truck just for good measure.

4. Reboot. Not trying to be insulting here... you mentioned you disconnected the battery, so I assume you've already checked this box, but it never hurts to cover the basics lol. There is a master reset for the sync system as well, but I caution you NOT to use that without due diligence... I am personally terrified of sync resets, as I've made a few forscan mods and have heard nightmare stories of modded systems going off-the-rails (on previous model years) when reset.

*I personally have not observed any difference in performance using wired vs. wireless connections, but that's obviously another variable you can experiment with to see if one beaves differently than the other for you.

Best of luck - let us know if you find anything enlightening!

Sponsored

sonofzell

First Name
Kirk
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 F150 XLT Sport 2.7EB SCrew 302A High
Just another thought that popped into my head:

On your phone(s), try killing any and all running apps. On iOS 14+ Apple added a popout-video feature that acts as a picture-in-picture of sorts. I've heard of (but not experienced myself) issues in which this caused some "audio enabled" apps to compete with each other for control of the audio output. Keep in mind it wouldn't necessarily need to be a music/audio app - anything that plays sound would qualify (like safari, voice memos, news apps, etc).

I honestly can't see how this would affect your carplay issue (especially since it's playing for you on the carplay home screen), but it's one more "no-risk" shot you can take....

Buschlatte

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150
don’t rule out the phone unless you both are running separate versions of the apple operating systems, sometimes the phone updates can mess with CarPlay

Had the same thing happen this morning

turned off the truck and when I started it the kinks worked out

OP
OP
fordman2112

fordman2112

First Name
Danny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
retired
I've had some carplay issues, but this is definitely the first I've heard of this. Not that finger-pointing is of any value here, but I do agree with @petemill in that the source issue is most likely on the Apple side of things.

Since I've not seen the issue myself I can't offer any specific fixes, but based on my sync4 experience, here's a few haymakers you can throw to see if you can get it working:

1. Remove your wife's phone from the sync settings. I have noticed some wonky behavior when more than one device is added, even if carplay is not enabled on both of them.

2. Temporarily disable CarPlay for your device. This is my first go-to for any carplay issues. Go to your sync phone list, disable carplay for your phone, wait a few seconds, then re-enable it. It's a bit of a "soft reset" tactic, but it's by far the easiest troubleshooting step! (I've seen others suggest doing the same from the phone side; disabling carplay and "forgetting" the truck... this hasn't proven effective to me, but it certainly can't hurt to try in addition to the above)

3. Remove your phone from the sync system. To take #3 a step further, you can try completely removing the device from your truck's settings, then re-adding it; perhaps with a power-cycle of the phone and/or truck just for good measure.

4. Reboot. Not trying to be insulting here... you mentioned you disconnected the battery, so I assume you've already checked this box, but it never hurts to cover the basics lol. There is a master reset for the sync system as well, but I caution you NOT to use that without due diligence... I am personally terrified of sync resets, as I've made a few forscan mods and have heard nightmare stories of modded systems going off-the-rails (on previous model years) when reset.

*I personally have not observed any difference in performance using wired vs. wireless connections, but that's obviously another variable you can experiment with to see if one beaves differently than the other for you.

Best of luck - let us know if you find anything enlightening!
Thank you for taking the time to help me out! Option #3 did the trick! Now i know if/when it happens again. Thank you to all that replied. Hope this may also help someone else. Simple fix.
Sponsored