Sponsored

Apple Maps turn indicator in instrument cluster

Lippy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 Powerboost
I received an OTA update last night and now have turn-by-turn indicators on the instrument cluster when using Apple Maps on CarPlay. It's pretty cool. It makes the speedo and tach smaller (similar to what I think Blue Cruise does) and it has the turn-by-turn indicator in the center of the screen at the top. But it just has an arrow and distance. For example, [left arrow] 1.2 miles. It doesn't show the street name, which I think would be good. At any rate, it is sort of a cool feature and I like it.
Sponsored

dhrandy

First Name
Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1950 Plymouth, 2021 F-150 Lariat 500a
Occupation
Engineering Tech
That’s cool, I’m hoping Android does the same thing. I’ll find out at the end of this month.

AnthonyWhat

First Name
Anthony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Ford 150
That’s cool, I’m hoping Android does the same thing. I’ll find out at the end of this month.
I am an Android user and while I'm using the Waze app it does indeed make the speedo and tach smaller, but no street name. It is a cool feature.

blind56

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 2.7EB, 2016 WRX
Hopefully it works on iOS Waze as well!

Snakebitten

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 KingRanch Powerboost
I am pretty sure I have seen it in Android Auto.
I have for sure seen it when navigating a route, but since I use both the native and Android (Google) I neglected to notice one did it and another doesn't

Sponsored

BCP28

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Ford F150, 2023 Ford Mach-E4x
Occupation
Engineer
Interesting that this is 'new' for you guys with (I'm assuming) the full LCD cluster. My XLT 302A has had this since the day I bought it back in May (was a January build). I've been looking for a way to turn it off, as it sometimes randomly pops up with directions/instructions that cover the trip meter and fuel economy and regen display. If the directional arrow just stayed in the bottom of the screen where it normally is, that would be nice, but kind of annoying when you are on a 300 mile long stretch of interstate with no major intersections, and it flashes to tell you that you need to exit right in 285 miles every 30 seconds.

What would be really cool is if they could give you a map in the cluster like some VW/Audi products do.

Snakebitten

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 KingRanch Powerboost
Interesting that this is 'new' for you guys with (I'm assuming) the full LCD cluster. My XLT 302A has had this since the day I bought it back in May (was a January build). I've been looking for a way to turn it off, as it sometimes randomly pops up with directions/instructions that cover the trip meter and fuel economy and regen display. If the directional arrow just stayed in the bottom of the screen where it normally is, that would be nice, but kind of annoying when you are on a 300 mile long stretch of interstate with no major intersections, and it flashes to tell you that you need to exit right in 285 miles every 30 seconds.

What would be really cool is if they could give you a map in the cluster like some VW/Audi products do.
But that's what is cool about the "all glass" gauge because when the display presents the next Navigation task, it adjusts the screen real estate for all the existing objects. Nothing gets covered up.

Honestly, I prefer the resolution of the tachometer and speedometer when they get less real estate to make room for NAV instruction. I wish they stayed smaller.

Last edited:

dhrandy

First Name
Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1950 Plymouth, 2021 F-150 Lariat 500a
Occupation
Engineering Tech
I am an Android user and while I'm using the Waze app it does indeed make the speedo and tach smaller, but no street name. It is a cool feature.
Nice, thanks for the update!

GolfR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 KR PB
Nice, thanks for the update!
I'm sure that this is answered somewhere on this forum but I'll ask here... How do you tell if you have the latest firmware? If it's listed somewhere, what version do you all have that this feature is added?

Thanks!

Last edited:
OP
OP
Lippy

Lippy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 Powerboost
I believe the software upgrade was 1.7.1

Sponsored

GolfR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 KR PB
For those with this functionality, have you tried using your cameras at high speed? It seems that some of the newer software allows this. Specifically just hit your camera button while you are rolling down the road and see if it pops up. Thanks!

OP
OP
Lippy

Lippy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 Powerboost
Update: on CarPlay it only works with Apple Maps (which is now decent). The cluster display doesn’t work with Waze or Google Maps.

Heavishot

First Name
Kerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Platinum F-150
I’ve got Ford Power-Up 1.4.0 and it says that’s the latest update. What does everyone else have?

Oxford_Powerboost

First Name
Austin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F150 Lariat 5.0
For those with this functionality, have you tried using your cameras at high speed? It seems that some of the newer software allows this. Specifically just hit your camera button while you are rolling down the road and see if it pops up. Thanks!
Mine was built 9/28. I have Apple Maps in cluster functionality as well as cameras while driving (above like 10ish it only allows backup cam, the zoomed in hitch cam, and bed cam)

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Raptor, 2021 F150
I had a rental BMW that did this 2 years ago and absolutely loved it. That was my pinnacle of user interface usefulness. Wireless CarPlay, in dash map, nav, full LCD dash, it was amazing.
Sponsored