Apple Carplay / Android Auto expand display

Snakebitten

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 KingRanch Powerboost
Just another thought on this. Is it possible that one SSID is used solely by Ford for OTA's and the other is shared to a third party by Ford for map and nav updates.. just throwing it out there....
I think you mean mac/interface, rather than SSID?
Honestly, I don't know because it wasn't obvious exactly what was going on for the few minutes I just spent digging.
But the first assumption that got flipped was that the client/interface/Mac named "Sync" is NOT the client that connects to my RV's WiFi SSID when I start the truck. Rather its the mdm9650-tcu client name.
So anything/everything I stated earlier can be thrown out since I was obviously browsing the wrong historical logs for potential bandwidth use.

But I think you are on to something. It's possible one of the trucks wifi interfaces is used for certain kinds of traffic, like Alexa (I have some Amazon traffic from the truck) and streaming music and other media in Android Auto.... Etc, and the other interface being used for communications with the mothership? The more I think about it, it makes sense, especially from a security point of view.
Sponsored

Big Dog Daddy

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Lariat 5.0 4x4 Ex Cab Antimatter Blue
I think you mean mac/interface, rather than SSID?
Honestly, I don't know because it wasn't obvious exactly what was going on for the few minutes I just spent digging.
But the first assumption that got flipped was that the client/interface/Mac named "Sync" is NOT the client that connects to my RV's WiFi SSID when I start the truck. Rather its the mdm9650-tcu client name.
So anything/everything I stated earlier can be thrown out since I was obviously browsing the wrong historical logs for potential bandwidth use.

But I think you are on to something. It's possible one of the trucks wifi interfaces is used for certain kinds of traffic, like Alexa (I have some Amazon traffic from the truck) and streaming music and other media in Android Auto.... Etc, and the other interface being used for communications with the mothership? The more I think about it, it makes sense, especially from a security point of view.
Just a hunch, because of the 3.5.2 update that happened while at work today. mdm9650-tcu was connected via Wi-Fi tonight for an hour and 47 minutes. I wish I had thru-put info but I don't. Is this possibly Ford's channel for OTA's. and it was reporting back to the Mothership? I think you're correct to assume that Ford would keep one channel to themselves for security purposes to protect the vehicle from hacking the modules. And the other is a more open connection for day to stuff.

Chili

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150
Ford is probably soft launching this update to flush out any issues vs potentially having a million trucks with major infotainment problems. The software we use at work is managed in this manner. Go to their website and you can easily get the newest version but none of the field deployed units show there is an update needed or available in the auto check. I'm told by the manufacturer barring any issues, field units will request to be updated in 60 days.

Ford isn't going to update this to 21s until they fully launch it for 22s I'd think. Hopefully they do t forget about y'all.

Kanuck

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 XLT Scab 3.5 EB 6.5 Carbonized Grey Metallic
Occupation
Retired Electrician
I have a router in the RV running WRT and logs very granular for each "bonded device" on the network. The truck definitely connects to the WiFi, but I've never seen it consume much bandwidth worthy of mentioning. I believe it's usually about 225 Kilobytes upon connecting and then dormant for the most part.
I wonder if that is for Ford Pass app location information.

Sponsored

{tpc}

First Name
Anthony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F-150 302a High SuperCrew 3.5 EB MaxTow
Is this full screen thing part of the 3.5.2 update? My sync has yet to update for anything, but knock on wood, performs pretty well as intended. Except for making one phone call using voice...if the persons name is AJ, you have to pronounce it as ahhhgggh (cant figure out a way to spell it lol), Then the call works, and it says now calling AJ, in the correct pronunciation lol.

Tomatoboy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 Ford Explorer XLT, 2017 Ford Escape SE, F-150
Is this full screen thing part of the 3.5.2 update? My sync has yet to update for anything, but knock on wood, performs pretty well as intended. Except for making one phone call using voice...if the persons name is AJ, you have to pronounce it as ahhhgggh (cant figure out a way to spell it lol), Then the call works, and it says now calling AJ, in the correct pronunciation lol.
Negative. It is part of a future Power-Up update, it just happens to be available for direct install via FDRS (Ford’s diagnostic/update/configuration tool for mechanics) already. Basically, the folks already using it are “power users” who have installed it the more complicated way as compared with waiting for Ford to do it.

PaulGrun

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F-150 XLT
I wonder if that is for Ford Pass app location information.
I think that makes very good sense - good thinking. Location info is nearly always more accurate when a wifi connection is available, so it makes sense that FordPass would use wifi for location data when it is available, and celltower information when it isn't.
Although, it does raise the question of why FordPass wouldn't n
use GPS data for location? Does anybody know authoritatively what FordPass uses for geographical data?

I'm pretty dubious that OTA updates would use a combination of cellular and wifi - I would think it would use the more stable signal available, whether cellular or wifi for the whole process. Although, on second thought a network connection(using the word "connection" in its technical sense) CAN be migrated from one device to another dynamically under certain circumstances.

While we're on the subject - several folks talk about difficulties downloading some OTA updates, despite having a good wifi connection. It might seem intuitively backwards, but I wonder if anyone has DISABLED the wifi connection forcing the OTA update onto the cellular network? In some instances, a device (like a cellphone) will prefer the wifi connection based on carrier strength even if the underlying network connection isn't terribly stable. This might explain the folks who's trucks updated successfully while at work, but not at home while con ected to wifi. There are any number of things that could inhibit a wifi connection, like firewall settings, blocked ports, and who knows what else.

JEB

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Lariat PB 502a
I think that makes very good sense - good thinking. Location info is nearly always more accurate when a wifi connection is available, so it makes sense that FordPass would use wifi for location data when it is available, and celltower information when it isn't.
Although, it does raise the question of why FordPass wouldn't n
use GPS data for location? Does anybody know authoritatively what FordPass uses for geographical data?

I'm pretty dubious that OTA updates would use a combination of cellular and wifi - I would think it would use the more stable signal available, whether cellular or wifi for the whole process. Although, on second thought a network connection(using the word "connection" in its technical sense) CAN be migrated from one device to another dynamically under certain circumstances.

While we're on the subject - several folks talk about difficulties downloading some OTA updates, despite having a good wifi connection. It might seem intuitively backwards, but I wonder if anyone has DISABLED the wifi connection forcing the OTA update onto the cellular network? In some instances, a device (like a cellphone) will prefer the wifi connection based on carrier strength even if the underlying network connection isn't terribly stable. This might explain the folks who's trucks updated successfully while at work, but not at home while con ected to wifi. There are any number of things that could inhibit a wifi connection, like firewall settings, blocked ports, and who knows what else.
From what I’ve seen, problems installing an OTA is usually not the connection itself (WiFi or cellular)—it’s a weak battery.

Sponsored

PaulGrun

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F-150 XLT
From what I’ve seen, problems installing an OTA is usually not the connection itself (WiFi or cellular)—it’s a weak battery.
For some OTA updates in particular it is certainly true that there have been significant battery issues.
But more broadly, it seems like there have been a number of folks reporting that they don’t seem to be getting any updates at all, or that they only seem to get updates when at work or on vacation or somewhere away from home. Those were the ones I was wondering about.

JEB

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Lariat PB 502a
For some OTA updates in particular it is certainly true that there have been significant battery issues.
But more broadly, it seems like there have been a number of folks reporting that they don’t seem to be getting any updates at all, or that they only seem to get updates when at work or on vacation or somewhere away from home. Those were the ones I was wondering about.
Maybe. But I attribute that primarily to the “somewhere away from home.” A place to which they have driven, thus recharging the battery at least to some extent. I’ve seen a lot of people who said they never got an update until they hooked up the truck to a charger or replaced the battery and then the floodgates opened.

itsdchz

First Name
Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Powerboost FX4 XLT with Stuff
PU, presumably part 1, of the 3.5.2 update came in Thursday AM.. now waiting for part 2, as system stated it will come in multiple parts because it is so big!

First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
302a crew - 6'5" Sport, Max Tow, FX4
@780 On Android auto I believe there is an expand button on the bottom tray next to the Android auto icon. Apple carplay it's towards the top left. I don't have the update yet but that's based on screenshots I've seen
Any chance you can post the CarPlay Screen shots you've seen?

zacko11288

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Lariet
Occupation
Engineering
Any chance you can post the CarPlay Screen shots you've seen?
I believe if you take a look at the very first post in this thread you'll see the arrows in the top left corner
Sponsored

Reactions: 780