First Name
Cory
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Lariat EB
Occupation
O&G
Is it accurate that 2022 trucks will see this update eventually with no intervention? I think I'm picking my truck up today, build started 9/1/22 so I doubt it has this already. If it's 3 months out I am good with just seeing it show up someday (especially in the middle of January, worst month ever for those in North States).

If it never comes I'll be sad, confused, lost and question the point of living.
In theory, yes. It's on FDRS now which means it should get pushed via OTA at some point. When that is though is one of life's great mysteries!
Sponsored

tbinmd

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 KR F150
If you want it now, download FDRS, buy a 2 day license,, put in your vin and download the files to build the update USB. You can always post your vin to have somebody check to make sure the update is available for your truck.

This is only for updating the APIM (sync). Any other updates need the mongoose cable.

Last edited:

jflottawa

First Name
J.F.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 Lariat
Occupation
Director, Software Development
If you want it now, download FDRS, buy a 2 day license,, put in your vin and download the files to build the update USB. You can always post your vin to have somebody check to make sure the update is available for your truck.
Question about this, which I hadn't even considered (using FDRS to update truck via USB vs buying the mongoose adapter or otherwise)...

Once the truck is updated via USB, does it "call home" to update the Ford backend system so that next time you run FDRS it has the latest details?

tbinmd

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 KR F150
Question about this, which I hadn't even considered (using FDRS to update truck via USB vs buying the mongoose adapter or otherwise)...

Once the truck is updated via USB, does it "call home" to update the Ford backend system so that next time you run FDRS it has the latest details?

For the APIM update you do it from USB. But for the other modules you need to buy the mongoose cable. You cannot update the other modules via USB. People want the full screen CarPlay, which is just the APIM and a USB update.

jflottawa

First Name
J.F.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 Lariat
Occupation
For the APIM update you do it from USB. But for the other modules you need to buy the mongoose cable. You cannot update the other modules via USB. People want the full screen CarPlay, which is just the APIM and a USB update.
Guess I'm getting the cable then :)

Sponsored

Chili

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150
So for now you have to use FDRS, a dealer won't do it and it has to be done with a USB stick?

But hopefully someday it's OTA?

Jesse-Infotainment

First Name
Jesse
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150
Using FDRS is the best way. When you are finished with the update FDRS reports the update to the servers. it then lets Ford know you are up to date. The drawback to doing it outside is the network scan is not complete so Ford doesnt know. Now it will eventually self report but there is no way to know when that will happen.

I suggest to everyone if its inyour budget buy the tools to do it yourself. It puts the power in your hands. I think the mongoose is like buying any other tool you would buy for your truck. In fact it is the most important tool.. You have the same tool the dealer has. You can now determine an issue. You dont have to have your truck sit for weeks for them to diag a light on the dash. This is really something anyone that buys one of these trucks should buy.

I know $500 is a lot of money.. It is for me at least. How much is your payment a month. I have heard so many had their trucks sit a month a t a dealer to only get it back worse than it started.

The other benefit if youre impatient like me.. You can update as soon as its available in the convenience of your home

Chili

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150
So I would need Mongoose and a 2 day FDRS subscription?

Jesse-Infotainment

First Name
Jesse
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150
So I would need Mongoose and a 2 day FDRS subscription?
Yes.

If you want me to confirm it is available before you do I can do that no problem. I have seen some trucks have 21355 available rather than 22228. I do think though after 21355 is installed 22228 will become available. I cant say for sure though

RickBullotta

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 Lariat Powerboost
One thought is to buy a couple of Mongoose cables as a group - shipping them around is a lot cheaper than everyone having one sitting in a drawer 99% of the time. A "time share" for cables!

Sponsored

First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
302a crew - 6'5" Sport, Max Tow, FX4
It's usually between 30-60mbs, so it's not really that painful. I remember when I had DSL and it was 6mbs. We are all short of memory. 🤣

20220922_214106.jpg

20220922_213841.jpg

20220922_214722.jpg

20220922_220423.jpg

Games?

Oh the grandkids buggars are going to be all over that glorious screen.

20220922_215514.jpg
So how did you switch it over to full screen once the upload was done?

zacko11288

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Lariet
Occupation
Engineering
@780 On Android auto I believe there is an expand button on the bottom tray next to the Android auto icon. Apple carplay it's towards the top left. I don't have the update yet but that's based on screenshots I've seen

jflottawa

First Name
J.F.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 Lariat
Occupation
The other benefit if youre impatient like me.
That's reason #1 for me. Had a big discussion with a Ford tech about "if it ain't broke, don't fix it". I work in software and I always select the "develop" or early adopter channel for everything I use.

If there's a software update for my truck, I want it installed

Chili

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150
That's reason #1 for me. Had a big discussion with a Ford tech about "if it ain't broke, don't fix it". I work in software and I always select the "develop" or early adopter channel for everything I use.

If there's a software update for my truck, I want it installed
Unfortunately a lot of tech's are just warm bodies and barely understand their job with no interest in being good at it. We have a wide range at my work so it's not industry specific, it's just the nature of people. I'm not in the automotive field, but it's kind of shocking how many people just don't care and show up only for a check. Personally I hate not being good at my job and am always trying to learn more.

First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
302a crew - 6'5" Sport, Max Tow, FX4
@780 On Android auto I believe there is an expand button on the bottom tray next to the Android auto icon. Apple carplay it's towards the top left. I don't have the update yet but that's based on screenshots I've seen
Thank you. I'll check it out.
Sponsored