Apple Carplay / Android Auto expand display

thudnblunder

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 PowerBoost
Occupation
Cloud Software Architect
Don’t count us old guys out lol, just cause I can’t write software doesn’t mean I don’t understand software and programming and modding.
Oh we can certainly manage our own trucks. However I expect most of us aren’t at the point in our careers where we’d be staffing those “software tech” roles at dealerships though.

Snakebitten

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 KingRanch Powerboost
Why would legal object? I mean on what grounds?
Me using FDRS is no different than any other "non-dealer" using FDRS. It's the same license and the same cost to me.

The Iceman thread, at the risk of selling it way short for what it has accomplished, is just a how-to for licensing FDRS LEGALLY. No bootlegging, theft of copyright, or any other nefarious activity.

That'd be like Snap-on blackballing me because I'm using their tools to fix my vehicle although I'm not a mechanic professionally.

Not to mention the fact that Ford is as much the beneficiary of that thread and its product as the truck that is now no longer a brand liability.

The world is truly upside down right now. 😳🤪

thudnblunder

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 PowerBoost
Occupation
Cloud Software Architect
Why would legal object? I mean on what grounds?
Me using FDRS is no different than any other "non-dealer" using FDRS. It's the same license and the same cost to me.

The Iceman thread, at the risk of selling it way short for what it has accomplished, is just a how-to for licensing FDRS LEGALLY. No bootlegging, theft of copyright, or any other nefarious activity.

That'd be like Snap-on blackballing me because I'm using their tools to fix my vehicle although I'm not a mechanic professionally.

Not to mention the fact that Ford is as much the beneficiary of that thread and its product as the truck that is now no longer a brand liability.

The world is truly upside down right now. 😳🤪
I wasn’t talking about us fixing our own trucks. I’m talking about us performing repairs on other people’s trucks. If those trucks are under warranty, Ford’s legal team is not going to be friendly or encouraging of “unauthorized repairs” even though the folks doing these repairs are far more skilled and informed than techs in their dealer network.

Snakebitten

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 KingRanch Powerboost
I wasn’t talking about us fixing our own trucks. I’m talking about us performing repairs on other people’s trucks. If those trucks are under warranty, Ford’s legal team is not going to be friendly or encouraging of “unauthorized repairs” even though the folks doing these repairs are far more skilled and informed than techs in their dealer network.
Good point.
But I'd think Ford, the manufacturer, would be less concerned than the dealerships and their rather powerful lobby.

Right to repair is a term that I hadn't even heard of until recently and now it seems to be gaining traction in public awareness. I suspect that the alarming backlog of factory authorized service, which now is measured in Months, was inevitably going to cause the kinds of confrontations in consumer rights/demands that we see in front of us.

Could be a long road with some bumps, of course, but it's quite possible that we will have the right to address a repair that otherwise would have been a warranty repair, but chose to burden the expense over the wait or failure of the "authorized" provider. That protection to do so certainly seems to be warranted just as much as the repair itself.

By the way, this is far from just being a Ford problem. It just feels like that around here. Long waits for appointments to get a authorized (or unauthorized) service bay is CrAzY for almost any make/model these days. Especially if the place has a halfway decent reputation for actually knowing how to fix cars. :)

Sponsored

thudnblunder

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 PowerBoost
Occupation
Cloud Software Architect
Could be a long road with some bumps, of course, but it's quite possible that we will have the right to address a repair that otherwise would have been a warranty repair, but chose to burden the expense over the wait or failure of the "authorized" provider. That protection to do so certainly seems to be warranted just as much as the repair itself.

By the way, this is far from just being a Ford problem. It just feels like that around here. Long waits for appointments to get a authorized (or unauthorized) service bay is CrAzY for almost any make/model these days. Especially if the place has a halfway decent reputation for actually knowing how to fix cars. :)
I agree that is in Ford’s long term interest to support the work “the collective” is doing here. The sooner they embrace it and come up with a framework to encourage and support it, the better it is for their business and customers.

I know we bath Ford a lot here but yes I think everyone is dealing with this. Ford is ahead of the technology curve in some places and the bleeding edge comes with some discomfort at times.

hussar1683

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 PB (on order)
Full screen CarPlay/android auto should have been made available on the same day they deleted built in nav from multiple lower trims

Sponsored

zacko11288

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Lariet
Occupation
Engineering
Holy crap :oops:, are the 21's actually going to get his!
Yeah that just made my day, I think Ford fully intends to keep pushing features to all vehicles capable of OTA updates. I think the large Blue Cruise updates really set them back a little. My thought is they took a pause after breaking so many trucks and overloading their dealerships