Sponsored

Apple CarPlay and other navigation apps.

GABAR

First Name
P
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2016 F150
Hello boys and girls.

For those who are Apple CarPlay users and have updated to the latest iOS, I can confirm that other navigation apps can be used on the main. / split screen of Carplay. Apple added this feature in this update so it’s totally up to other companies to modify their navigation apps to be used on the main CarPlay screen.

For those who are interested, I’ve been using a navigation app called Magic Earth for almost a year now and of yesterday, so far, this is the only navigation app that has been adapted to be used on the main CarPlay screen instead of being locked into Apple Maps..

Believe it or not, Magic Earth is just as accurate as Google Maps, Waze, Apple Maps, and Sygic and yes, it’s totally free to download and it can be used offline as well.

i’m sure Google Maps and Waze will get onboard sometime down the road but right now, there’s only one navigation app that has taken advantage of this new iOS feature.

I hope this info helps you guys out.

Have a good weekend.
Sponsored

MAhauler

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford Explorer
That's awesome news. You tested this on your 2016 F150?

Glad to see Apple has opened up CarPlay to using other navigation apps and not forcing you to Apple Maps. Do you know if Android Auto also allows you to use a third party nav app instead of Google Maps?

OP
OP
GABAR

GABAR

First Name
P
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2016 F150
That's awesome news. You tested this on your 2016 F150?

Glad to see Apple has opened up CarPlay to using other navigation apps and not forcing you to Apple Maps. Do you know if Android Auto also allows you to use a third party nav app instead of Google Maps?
Yes, I tested it this past weekend on my 2016 F150 and I’ve been using it the past three days.
I really don’t know if Android Auto will follow what Apple has done with Apple CarPlay.

I’m an Apple man so I really don’t know much about the Android Auto interface or what Google might have planned for it.
Sponsored