First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 XLT 302A
Occupation
Retired
I'm borderline ready to jump off a cliff.

I don't get it. I performed the "Module Update Repair" and it all went fine.

I've downloaded the 'APIM - SYNC Module [APIM] Software Update' from the FDRS App onto three separate thumb drives, formatting each to eXfat. Sometimes they are detected by the truck and sometimes they say 'This USB Drive is not supported'. When it is detected and read by the truck is gives a message "System Updating..." and after 30-40 seconds it gives the message "USB Error..."

Am i missing something?
Am i not doing something right?
Has this happened to anyone else?

I followed the youtube video by "The Big Heavy" and he was successful in his attempt.

Does anyone have any insight on this?

Ugh...
I have the same issue as others. Auto updates grayed out on my 2021. I would like to have this update done, but I won't do the update myself for a couple of reasons. 1) I'm not willing to pay for the tools necessary to perform the update. 2) I don't want to take the chance of bricking modules and having the dealer not cover the replacement under warranty because I tampered with it. 3) It's Ford's responsibility to make these repairs, so the customer doesn't feel the need to have to try it themselves. IMO, Ford needs to get the training out to the dealers so they can confidently work on the vehicles that Ford is producing. Perhaps each dealer should have at least one technology guru who can deal with these issues exclusively. I believe they could easily keep that person busy solving issues for the customer and keep untrained technicians from wasting time scratching their heads and not resolving the problems. Are you listening Ford?
Sponsored

Last edited:

riderryan92

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 XLT 302a
Occupation
AV Installer
Has anyone figured this out yet?
My dealership sent a tech to my house today to force the update to 3.5.3 and ran into the same USB error after about 15 minutes. He tried it 3 times and it failed all 3 times.

dzacco

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Limited Powerboost
Sorry if this has already been asked but if the USB drive method is used, do we still need the Mongoose?

JEB

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Lariat PB 502a
Sorry if this has already been asked but if the USB drive method is used, do we still need the Mongoose?
Yes. You need FDRS and the Mongoose to get the software loaded onto the USB drive and keyed to your VIN. You can’t just use someone else’s software download because it will be keyed to THEIR VIN, not yours, and it won’t install.

dzacco

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Limited Powerboost
Yes. You need FDRS and the Mongoose to get the software loaded onto the USB drive and keyed to your VIN. You can’t just use someone else’s software download because it will be keyed to THEIR VIN, not yours, and it won’t install.
Thanks JEB, I probably need to read the huge thread to get the gist of what needs to be done. I ordered the cheap dongle just to get acclimated with forscan then will get serious about trying to update the software at a later date.

Razdaddy

First Name
Charles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 Platinum
Occupation
Manufacturing