APIM - SYNC Module [APIM] Software Update

ZamoJoe

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Ford F150 XLT Sport Appearance Lead Foot 5.0
I'm borderline ready to jump off a cliff.

I don't get it. I performed the "Module Update Repair" and it all went fine.

I've downloaded the 'APIM - SYNC Module [APIM] Software Update' from the FDRS App onto three separate thumb drives, formatting each to eXfat. Sometimes they are detected by the truck and sometimes they say 'This USB Drive is not supported'. When it is detected and read by the truck is gives a message "System Updating..." and after 30-40 seconds it gives the message "USB Error..."

Am i missing something?
Am i not doing something right?
Has this happened to anyone else?

I followed the youtube video by "The Big Heavy" and he was successful in his attempt.

Does anyone have any insight on this?

Ugh...
Sponsored

car3452

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150
I don’t have any advice for you. I just wanted to say your not alone and try not to get to frustrated, I have been trying to update my apim for about 4 months and haven’t gotten anywhere. Keep trying on your own also when you get a chance have the dealership try just so you can start the process of getting the apim replaced, which of course are back ordered.

OP
OP
ZamoJoe

ZamoJoe

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
I don’t have any advice for you. I just wanted to say your not alone and try not to get to frustrated, I have been trying to update my apim for about 4 months and haven’t gotten anywhere. Keep trying on your own also when you get a chance have the dealership try just so you can start the process of getting the apim replaced, which of course are back ordered.
I just had my gateway module replaced. Those were back ordered also.

Does not being able to update the APIM software necessarily mean that the APIM is bad and in need of replacing?

car3452

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150
Absolutely not, I am convinced my APIM is fine. Ford is replacing it just because it cant figure out how to update it. My APIM works fine, ford lacks the knowledge to force an update on an APIM that is being stubborn amazlying they refuse to wipe and start over. Its weird I was told Ford as APIM's but they have not had any software installed. Once installed they can ship to the dealer and then the dealer can install the truck specific software. It is obvious Ford has not completely thought through software fixing, the people on the ground and the TAC just do not have protocols to fix. Personally mine might be permanently messed up thanks to the dealership. But if you have not had anyone screwing around with your apim it will probably be updatable.

Ajzride

First Name
Alan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21Mach-E / 65Mustang / 21PB 502A 157"
Occupation
C&A
My guess is that the APIM cannot "wipe" itself via USB because it would stop reading the USB halfway through. Wiping it probably has to be done via CANBUS, which based on the size of the USB files means it could take 10+ hours to wipe sector by sector... no dealership is going to deal with that, it is just cheaper to replace it.

Sponsored

turbopilot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F150 Powerboost
I'm borderline ready to jump off a cliff.

I don't get it. I performed the "Module Update Repair" and it all went fine.

I've downloaded the 'APIM - SYNC Module [APIM] Software Update' from the FDRS App onto three separate thumb drives, formatting each to eXfat. Sometimes they are detected by the truck and sometimes they say 'This USB Drive is not supported'. When it is detected and read by the truck is gives a message "System Updating..." and after 30-40 seconds it gives the message "USB Error..."

Am i missing something?
Am i not doing something right?
Has this happened to anyone else?

Does anyone have any insight on this?

Ugh...
If it is any help this is the USB stick I ordered for my FDRS updates starting in April. Each time I used it for a new module update I erased all contents on the stick. It worked every time.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B08KSJ144R/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&th=1

OP
OP
ZamoJoe

ZamoJoe

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles

turbopilot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F150 Powerboost
Thanks for the info.

so you physically wiped it each time and downloaded new software for a different module into it, or reformatted it each time?
Just erased files present after each module update. Did not reformat after each update.

OP
OP
ZamoJoe

ZamoJoe

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Just erased files present after each module update. Did not reformat after each update.
So each time you downloaded the software from FDRS and copied to same thumb drive?

once you inserted into the usb slot in the truck it updated the system without the “USB Error…”?

how many updates did you install using this thumb drive successfully?

Snakebitten

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 KingRanch Powerboost
I don't think your USB stick choice is your issue. Just based on what I've read

Sponsored

turbopilot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F150 Powerboost
how many updates did you install using this thumb drive successfully?
My truck is a 6/21 truck. It had no updates until it got stuck on the 1.7.1 update. In April I spent two days bringing it up to Software Version: 22095_PRODUCT Revision: 421(2.8.3). I used this USB exclusively. No USB errors.

OP
OP
ZamoJoe

ZamoJoe

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
My truck is a 6/21 truck. It had no updates until it got stuck on the 1.7.1 update. In April I spent two days bringing it up to Software Version: 22095_PRODUCT Revision: 421(2.8.3). I used this USB exclusively. No USB errors.
My truck is a 8/21 truck. Same. Had no updates until it got stuck at 1.7.1my current Software Version is: 20312_Product Recision: 243. What ideas that translate to (x.x.x)?

dre276

First Name
andre
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 F150XLT, 2021 F150 XLT 302A Lead Foot
my dealership tried to update the apim couple of weeks ago and failed. they cant figure out why it wont update...frustrating...

Scoop

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 SuperCrew Platinum 5.0 4x4 6.5'
Absolutely not, I am convinced my APIM is fine.
Good luck with that. Mine refused to program, as did a second one. A third one was shipped that was a different (new) P/N from the first two. It programmed. Mine spent 2 months and 4 days in the shop, but I have the complete FDRS history, so they weren't sitting on it at all. There was activity every day except the few days they were waiting on new parts or waiting on Ford Engineering to give next steps (very few days WITHOUT activity).

Make sure the GWM and TCU are up to date. I thought I recall one or the other needing to be updated before other updates, including the APIM, would take.

I assume you are keeping the battery voltage above 12.5V at all times?

When prompted for "Resart Required", you're shutting down, opening the driver's door, NOT removing the USB, and waiting at least 10 minutes, then closing the driver's door and turning the ignition back on when you should get the 'Update successful' and you can remove the USB drive then follow the rest of the instructions in FDRS.

Good FDRS programming info here: https://www.f150gen14.com/forum/threads/ecu-module-programming-guide-using-fdrs.8249/

OP
OP
ZamoJoe

ZamoJoe

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Good luck with that. Mine refused to program, as did a second one. A third one was shipped that was a different (new) P/N from the first two. It programmed. Mine spent 2 months and 4 days in the shop, but I have the complete FDRS history, so they weren't sitting on it at all. There was activity every day except the few days they were waiting on new parts or waiting on Ford Engineering to give next steps (very few days WITHOUT activity).

Make sure the GWM and TCU are up to date. I thought I recall one or the other needing to be updated before other updates, including the APIM, would take.

I assume you are keeping the battery voltage above 12.5V at all times?

When prompted for "Resart Required", you're shutting down, opening the driver's door, NOT removing the USB, and waiting at least 10 minutes, then closing the driver's door and turning the ignition back on when you should get the 'Update successful' and you can remove the USB drive then follow the rest of the instructions in FDRS.

Good FDRS programming info here: https://www.f150gen14.com/forum/threads/ecu-module-programming-guide-using-fdrs.8249/
I had a new gateway module installed on May 26th.
I then ran the module repair successfully through FDRS
When I tried to update the APIM software it kept giving me. “USB error” on SYNC screen

battery voltage was above 12.5 and tried reinstalling several times

I took truck to the dealer on June 1st so they could perform all of the necessary updates and were successful updating the APIM and TCU.
However, once those two updates were done the SYNC screen went blank and disappeared.

So now they are waiting for Ford engineers to get back to them to resolve the blank screen issue.
Unbelievable

luckily I requested, and they provided, a rental 2019 Lariat for me to use while they get this resolved. I hope it’s quick.
Sponsored