Anyone's fuel door fall off?

xtraman122

First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
‘21 302A PB
I forgot to post about this, happened a few weeks ago during my second fill up. I had just started pumping gas when half my fuel door randomly just fell to the ground...

Appears the door itself is comprised of two pieces, the hinged piece of plastic that actually clicks in and covers the spout, and then a flat piece of plastic that is painted the body color that snaps into it (This is what you see from the outside of the truck). The flat body colored piece is what fell off, it appears to just slide into some small clips on the hinged door and has a single little tab that secures it, just preventing it from sliding back the way it went on. Seemed like a very fragile attachment method and like it could easily just fall off again.

Haven't had any issues since, just seemed very odd when it fell off without me even touching it and the way it attached didn't instill much confidence in its ability to stay put in the future. I'll see how well it seems to be secured at my next fill-up.

Anyone else experience this? Guessing mine must not have been "clicked in" very well from the factory or something.
Sponsored

wilmaj32

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
08 GT500, 21 Powerboost Lariat , 12 Expedition
Occupation
Retired
I forgot to post about this, happened a few weeks ago during my second fill up. I had just started pumping gas when half my fuel door randomly just fell to the ground...

Appears the door itself is comprised of two pieces, the hinged piece of plastic that actually clicks in and covers the spout, and then a flat piece of plastic that is painted the body color that snaps into it (This is what you see from the outside of the truck). The flat body colored piece is what fell off, it appears to just slide into some small clips on the hinged door and has a single little tab that secures it, just preventing it from sliding back the way it went on. Seemed like a very fragile attachment method and like it could easily just fall off again.

Haven't had any issues since, just seemed very odd when it fell off without me even touching it and the way it attached didn't instill much confidence in its ability to stay put in the future. I'll see how well it seems to be secured at my next fill-up.

Anyone else experience this? Guessing mine must not have been "clicked in" very well from the factory or something.
Yes, I had the same problem. I used silicone to prevent it from happening again. I applied it to the tabs and slid the fuel door back on. Crazy how easy it is to slide off isn't it? Seems like an obvious flaw with the Powerboost fuel doors.

OP
OP

xtraman122

First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
‘21 302A PB
Yes, I had the same problem. I used silicone to prevent it from happening again. I applied it to the tabs and slid the fuel door back on. Crazy how easy it is to slide off isn't it? Seems like an obvious flaw with the Powerboost fuel doors.
Glad to hear it’s not just me then. And yes, extremely poor design, feels like a toy.

Tambow

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 f150 Powerboost
Occupation
Retired
My door didn’t fall off but a small cover and rubber gasket on the spring loaded fill hole flap randomly fell off. Now it’s very difficult to get the gas hose into the filler hole. Also the small black plastic post that inserts into the truck to lock the door falls off sometimes. Seems they’d make an area that gets so much use Ford Tougher.

Ford F-150 Anyone's fuel door fall off? AE1F2FD9-398D-47C0-BA85-9371E2591E86

Pedaldude

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2001 Lincoln Navigator, 2021 Ford F-150
https://www.f150gen14.com/forum/threads/fuel-door-cover-fell-off.3646

One place to lay the blame is on the ever tightening MPG standards and the need for cutting every ounce possible from our trucks despite how much it detracts from long term reliability.

Those capless fuel fillers are the worst thing ever, when they fail, it costs $700 in parts and labor to replace them. In my state, if your gas cap has a bad gasket and won't pass the emissions test, they give you a $5 replacement for free. Also, they claim to be siphon proof but they aren't.

Last edited:

Daddonap

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 King Ranch, 2016 GT350R
Yes, this just happened to me. Truck 11 Months old.
Sponsored