Sponsored

Anyone with a '21, how are the factory tires on winter roads?

mnstang

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 Lariat PB Leadfoot
Occupation
US Gov
Just wondering, I think the Lariat I ordered comes with the Hankook dynapros AT2's. Kinda wondering how good they are on slippery winter roads, anyone have any experience?
Sponsored

discothan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 XLT
I'm in lower Michigan. The 20" Hankook Dynapros AT2 feel good on snow/slick/ice etc. Granted, I'm in 4x4 mode when driving in the white stuff. I'm not considering any changes to wheel/tire until after the salty road season.

KBKEITH

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F-150 XLT SCREW 5.5, BAP, 3.5EB
I’m also in lower Michigan and have the AT/2s. So far so good in the snow and slick stuff, although we haven’t had too much snow so far.

We have a storm coming through tomorrow (supposed to be largest snowfall yet) so it should be a good opportunity to see how they perform.

mark1976

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 XLT 2.7 Sport 302A
Lower Michigan here as well. Had some snow yesterday and it was fine on the Hankook Dynapro AT2 tires on 20" wheels. Will know a lot more tomorrow after the big snowfall we are expecting.

KBKEITH

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Just wondering, I think the Lariat I ordered comes with the Hankook dynapros AT2's. Kinda wondering how good they are on slippery winter roads, anyone have any experience?
As mentioned yesterday regarding the expected snowstorm in lower MI, well I drove through the beginning of it early this morning on the way to work. Pretty much blizzard conditions on the highway and I was cutting my own trail - none of the 4 lanes were at all visible.

I had my truck in the “slippery” drive mode which puts it in 4H and remaps the way the throttle responds. I would say the AT2 tires did very well. Never once did I feel like traction was an issue, either at speed on the highway or when accelerating from a stop. Although the change in throttle response really helps, too.

So far so good with the AT2. I’d like to see how they perform in a deep snow condition. I’m sure I’ll get my opportunity. ?

Sponsored

OP
OP
mnstang

mnstang

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 Lariat PB Leadfoot
Occupation
US Gov
As mentioned yesterday regarding the expected snowstorm in lower MI, well I drove through the beginning of it early this morning on the way to work. Pretty much blizzard conditions on the highway and I was cutting my own trail - none of the 4 lanes were at all visible.

I had my truck in the “slippery” drive mode which puts it in 4H and remaps the way the throttle responds. I would say the AT2 tires did very well. Never once did I feel like traction was an issue, either at speed on the highway or when accelerating from a stop. Although the change in throttle response really helps, too.

So far so good with the AT2. I’d like to see how they perform in a deep snow condition. I’m sure I’ll get my opportunity. ?
Well by god I might just keep these on then! Now if only my truck will be shipped soon to be able to try them out!

mark1976

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles

I agree completely. I just drove across I-696 and felt VERY comfortable in Slippery Mode.

KBKEITH

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
I agree completely. I just drove across I-696 and felt VERY comfortable in Slippery Mode.
Glad to hear that you had the same experience as I did. I’m not one to use the different drive modes (except Sport Mode)as they somehow seem gimmicky to me, however, the Slippery Mode actually seems to work well!

mark1976

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Glad to hear that you had the same experience as I did. I’m not one to use the different drive modes (except Sport Mode)as they somehow seem gimmicky to me, however, the Slippery Mode actually seems to work well!
Same here. Usually just keep it in normal. Sport mode is impressive, especially for such a small engine. It's hard to believe this engine is half the size of the old Triton 5.4L.

spud_41

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 Lariat 502a, Lead Foot 3.5L EB Fx4
They seem pretty gimmicky to me too, but I'm absolutely gonna try them all out when the opportunities arise, and hopefully they do what they claim to. Glad the slippery mode works well, I figured that would be my ski mountain go to.

Sponsored

KBKEITH

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
They seem pretty gimmicky to me too, but I'm absolutely gonna try them all out when the opportunities arise, and hopefully they do what they claim to. Glad the slippery mode works well, I figured that would be my ski mountain go to.
Yeah Sport mode is really the only one that I used on my previous F-150s. This new Slippery mode seems to do the trick though. Granted I’ve only used it once, but so far, so good.

mark1976

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Yeah Sport mode is really the only one that I used on my previous F-150s. This new Slippery mode seems to do the trick though. Granted I’ve only used it once, but so far, so good.
It's nice that it puts the truck into 4H. My 2018 left it in 2H.

KBKEITH

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
It's nice that it puts the truck into 4H. My 2018 left it in 2H.
I was surprised too that it automatically engages the hubs. Like you, my former F-150s kept it in 2H.

Ries

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F-150 Lariat Supercrew 5L
Occupation
Mechanical Engineer & Category Buyer
I figured I’d chime in on this old post. I found the factory Goodyear Wrangler tires on my ‘22 to be garbage in MN winters. Even in slippery mode I found the truck sliding around.

I just picked up an old set of 2018 wheels with scrap tires, installed Nokian Hakkapeliitta LT3 tires, used the TPMS reset tool, and away we go. Night and day difference.

Tires were dirt cheap through Walmart too at $158 a tire. Slightly taller tire and a bit narrower at 265/70R18. However, narrower is better in snow anyway and the height difference will only cause about 1mph change.

Ford F-150 Anyone with a '21, how are the factory tires on winter roads? C3F2E5E1-218B-40E1-973B-EC8FCA1389A7

Ford F-150 Anyone with a '21, how are the factory tires on winter roads? DE13768E-923E-459D-B0BD-7C0445B1B87B

Ford F-150 Anyone with a '21, how are the factory tires on winter roads? CC814506-A9AF-4C70-AA8C-D99E4AC2EA5F
Sponsored