Sponsored

Anyone try General Grabber APT 275/70R18 on their power boost?

Nighsight

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Powerboost
I'm considering getting these. They are slightly bigger than stock and only weight 4lbs. more. Knowing that larger/heavier tires affect milage and the hybrid system, would these be close enough to not cause much of a difference?
Sponsored

Pedaldude

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2001 Lincoln Navigator, 2021 Ford F-150
My 5.0 V8 HDPP truck came with General Grabber APT LT265/70R18C tires and I swapped them out for Michelin Primacy XC 275/65R18 on an identical set of wheels.

The Michelin are 8-9lbs lighter per tire and with a similar driving style and tire pressure (45PSI) on my usual route, I went from around 12MPG per tank to around 16MPG per tank after switching. More importantly though, my trip computer’s MPG readout is only a few % off and when driving very carefully in regards to fuel economy with the General tires; I saw very little to no difference from when driving with total disregard for how much gas I used. With the Michelin tires, I am able to get around 22MPG or better if I really milk the throttle carefully most of the time.

The most noticeable difference between the two tires was that the ride quality of the Grabber APT tires is utter shit. Before swapping to the Michelin Primacy, I thought the crappy ride was due to the heavier spring rate of the HDPP package and the fact that my truck is a single cab. I was able to feel every road irregularity and even on a perfectly smooth road, the ride was jarring. With the Michelin tires; the truck still handles well, with a relatively stiff ride but it does it more smoothly and I can no longer feel every pebble and road sealer joint that I roll over.

4lbs per tire is a lot of rotating mass to be adding when you add up all four corners and from what I have read here; the Powerboost is even more sensitive to tire/wheel combinations than the V8 trucks. If I saw such a dramatic difference in fuel economy switching from the General Grabber tires when putting an effort into driving toward better fuel economy, I find it hard to believe that you won’t as well.

Good Luck! Hopefully someone with a Poweboost can answer your question.

guppydriver

First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Tundra
I'm considering getting these. They are slightly bigger than stock and only weight 4lbs. more. Knowing that larger/heavier tires affect milage and the hybrid system, would these be close enough to not cause much of a difference?
I know in that size, the P rated options are pretty nil. Maybe like two options, I think both from General. I wish there were more, because the increased diameter really helps fill that wheel well space on the 18 inch rims. There are lots of LT options in the 275 70 18, but the weight goes up significantly.

OP
OP

Nighsight

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Powerboost
I know in that size, the P rated options are pretty nil. Maybe like two options, I think both from General. I wish there were more, because the increased diameter really helps fill that wheel well space on the 18 inch rims. There are lots of LT options in the 275 70 18, but the weight goes up significantly.
Exactly why I'm looking at it. Also the slightly taller tire will lower the RPM at freeway speed that could result in slightly better freeway MPG. LT versions are usually 20+ pounds more per tire.

guppydriver

First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Tundra
Exactly why I'm looking at it. Also the slightly taller tire will lower the RPM at freeway speed that could result in slightly better freeway MPG. LT versions are usually 20+ pounds more per tire.

Just curious if you gave them a shot? I love the weight, but the reviews are mediocre at best. I can't believe other manufacturers don't make a standard load 33" 18. The Grabber AT/X is why too aggressive for me being I don't go off road.
Sponsored