Sponsored

Anyone try 2021 F150 Parking Assist in their garage?

Lpetters84

First Name
Landon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 Platinum FX4 5.0
Hey Guys,
I’ve ordered a new F150 with park assist and was just curious if anyone has tried the parking feature in their garage? Or does the truck need actual parking lines to center the vehicle?
Sponsored

Whoosh

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21' PB F150,18&20 Ecoboost Explorer Platinum,
Occupation
Worker of lead
Hey Guys,
I’ve ordered a new F150 with park assist and was just curious if anyone has tried the parking feature in their garage? Or does the truck need actual parking lines to center the vehicle?
According to Ford's video, the system works on proximity not the lines...so it aims to equidistant on both sides of the vehicle

Sponsored

daemonic3

First Name
Terry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 F150 3.5EB
Occupation
Engineer
Sadly, I am 6” away from caring.

(My truck is too long for my garage)
Don, do you have a short bed? I have a 3 car garage and only one of the bays can accommodate the length of my supercrew 5.5', with only 16" of space to walk around it in front. That is really sad that a garage exists that is even shorter than mine!

Regarding the active park assist, does it work without sensing other cars to find a space? In the demos (and attempts I've done) you have to be driving along cars in a lot and it finds an open space. I don't know if it can detect a garage, and you'd have to drive perpendicular to your garage opening?

don.mullins

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 3.5 Powerboost Platinum
Don, do you have a short bed? I have a 3 car garage and only one of the bays can accommodate the length of my supercrew 5.5', with only 16" of space to walk around it in front. That is really sad that a garage exists that is even shorter than mine!

Regarding the active park assist, does it work without sensing other cars to find a space? In the demos (and attempts I've done) you have to be driving along cars in a lot and it finds an open space. I don't know if it can detect a garage, and you'd have to drive perpendicular to your garage opening?
Yes, I have a 5’ 6” bed SCREW. My attempt was going in forward and not interfering with the raised walkway that is at the front of the garage, and about 3’ deep.

If I backed in an allowed the bed to go over the raised walk (it is too deep for the fronot - the tires would hit before the bumper approached the wall), I could probably make it fit.

But I have too much “stuff” in the front of the garage...

Bravo36

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 King Ranch FX 4
Occupation
Retired Fed LEO, Current Federal Contractor
Also have to back into mine for the same reason. It ain't bad once you get used to it, especially with the new larger display. Rear view cam is great.

OP
OP
Lpetters84

Lpetters84

First Name
Landon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
I’ll have to back in as well. Can you actually use the camera when backing that close to the wall or did you hang a tennis ball or make a mark etc..

Bravo36

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Haven't had to put up any other devices. Camera works remarkably well and very clear.

Sponsored

Whoosh

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21' PB F150,18&20 Ecoboost Explorer Platinum,
Occupation
Worker of lead
Also have to back into mine for the same reason. It ain't bad once you get used to it, especially with the new larger display. Rear view cam is great.
@Bravo: Are the 21's parking sensors calibrated the same way the earlier trucks were, increasing beeping starting at 2' until a solid tone at 7"?

daemonic3

First Name
Terry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 F150 3.5EB
Occupation
Engineer
I’ll have to back in as well. Can you actually use the camera when backing that close to the wall or did you hang a tennis ball or make a mark etc..
At my condo parking garage I back up to within 1" of the solid concrete wall. I put wood 4x4" blocks to mark my spot for the back tires and I can slowly back in with ease and confidence that the blocks will stop me. The reverse alert absolutely screams at me but I have not hit the concrete once in almost 4 years. In a residential garage they may be a trip hazard though...

In my home garage I use a laser parking system and line up the dot to the same place every time within 1". Then I know I am good and people can walk in front, and my daughter won't door ding me. I had to hang tennis balls for the wife and daughter because they refuse to use the simple technology I tried to give them.

OP
OP
Lpetters84

Lpetters84

First Name
Landon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
At my condo parking garage I back up to within 1" of the solid concrete wall. I put wood 4x4" blocks to mark my spot for the back tires and I can slowly back in with ease and confidence that the blocks will stop me. The reverse alert absolutely screams at me but I have not hit the concrete once in almost 4 years. In a residential garage they may be a trip hazard though...

In my home garage I use a laser parking system and line up the dot to the same place every time within 1". Then I know I am good and people can walk in front, and my daughter won't door ding me. I had to hang tennis balls for the wife and daughter because they refuse to use the simple technology I tried to give them.
Thank you Daemonic. I had considered the laser system as well. I just wasn’t sure how precise they were.

Bravo36

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
@Bravo: Are the 21's parking sensors calibrated the same way the earlier trucks were, increasing beeping starting at 2' until a solid tone at 7"?
Yessir

newdeal99

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 on order
I park mine in the garage, it sets off the beep the entire time pretty much because of how close the rear end comes to the door frame but still it works great, once the front sensors detect an object the 360cam comes on and I pull in until I hear the solid tone which I think is about a foot away from the junk I have in front of the truck. The only thing is every once in a while when I am backing out the truck will jam on the brakes. I don't think I am getting any closer to anything, I think it is speed related. If I am going slightly faster it jams the brakes when it detects my rear end being close to the door frame, if I am going slowly it doesn't. Usually I go slow enough so it has only happened a couple times
Sponsored