First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 F150 STX, Lead Foot Grey
Occupation
Systems Administrator
I have a ‘21 2.7 with the 2k pro power that has never worked. Ever. I always get a ground error, or some other error, so it’s of no use to me. Has anyone ever deleted the pro power 2k to regain payload capacity?
Sponsored

Vin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150
Is it really that heavy?
I understand that it's been a disappointment to most users, but what are you gaining by removal?

OP
OP
sbreech

sbreech

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 F150 STX, Lead Foot Grey
Occupation
Systems Administrator
Is it really that heavy?
I understand that it's been a disappointment to most users, but what are you gaining by removal?
That I don’t know. Are there a couple lead cell batteries and inverter? This is what I’m wondering. If it’s a hundred pounds, that could mean hauling cheap wood for camping instead of buying expensive campground wood, or carrying more charcoal, etc. I’m just curious about options.

Gros Ventre

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Powerboost
Well, according to the owners manual the 2K is a floating neutral. It shouldn't have the ground problems that the Powerboost has.

Last edited:

Sponsored

minirx7

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21 F150 Lariat Sport 502A Screw Max Tow 3.5L
I also would love to remove my 2KW.

I heard there is an extra battery, extra alternator, and the huge invertor. Every pound of payload counts for me as my RV loaded is 7,000lbs and with a family of 5 and bikes in the bed, my 502A Lariat SCREW's payload of 1730lb gets maxed out. I sacraficed the roof, upgrade audio, etc just to get the payload up and then wasted my time on my 2KW, which i though could drive my RV's AC with soft start and it can't.

amschind

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 F150 SCrew 4x4 Powerboost
Occupation
Physician
I think that replacing the seats with plastic crates is the next logical step. Furthermore, what kind of sissy needs AC or windows?

Kidding aside, I think that there is a sensible middle ground between taking a dump before towing to stay under payload and installing a 4" lift kit and 37"s before towing a 12k# 35' travel trailer. I agree that the 2.4kW system is less useful than 7.2, but it still offers a lot of functionality. I would expend a lot of effort troubleshooting the inverter issues before removing the whole thing to save a few pounds. I think that you'll eventually encounter a situation where you miss having electrical power on standby, while any practical issue with towing could be better addressed with E-rated tires, an anti-sway bar, a good WDH that is properly set up and upgraded brake discs/pads.

I feel your frustration, but fair or not, these trucks are projects/starting points coming off of the assembly line. I think that the "I paid $xxx,xxx for this stupid truck, so it should do what it says on the tin!" argument has merit, but it does not reflect reality. Should I have to spend 2 hours fighting with the wiring harness because Ford decided not to include two measly wires that enable the trailer camera and TPMS? No, but I did. Should Ford engineer a subwoofer/amp that doesn't sound like a flatulent marine mammal and isn't a fire hazard? They should, but they chose not to. Should Ford use modern CFD software and/or basic common sense to design their exhaust manifolds? Yep, but again, they didn't. Should Ford use more than heavy gauge aluminum foil and plastic to build a bumper? Yep, but they couldn't be troubled. Should Ford use a more substantial material than fiberboard to construct a skid plate protecting the transmission on their off-road package? You get the drift...

I would love to live in a world where automakers responded to customers, but we don't live in that world. What we do have is a very popular truck with solid aftermarket support and a great community that works together. To that end, I would encourage you to fight through the half-baked engineering to make your inverter work while allowing a reasonable fudge factor in your payload calculations.

nitrobass24

Threads
Reaction score
Website
redboxplus.com
Vehicles
'21 F150 Platinum PB
Occupation
Roll offs and Porta-Potties
So here is some more details on the ProPower setup. https://pickuptrucktalk.com/2020/10...-2021-ford-f-150-pro-power-onboard-explained/

TLDR is only the powerboost have an extra battery for the ProPower.
Given you posted this in the 2.7 ecoboost section, you would have the 2KW system which is just using an inverter after the 12v battery to produce a pure sine wave at the outlet.

Im not sure removing the inverter is really going to buy much in terms of payload and probably more headaches with DTCs.

Samson16

First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 F-150 XLT Powerboost Super Crew 4x4
Occupation
Aviation systems
There may be a way to utilize the second alternator and outlets, but change out the horrible inverter.

Sponsored

Supercub

First Name
Kurt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Powerboost 2022 F150 Powerboost
Occupation
Retired
I have a ‘21 2.7 with the 2k pro power that has never worked. Ever. I always get a ground error, or some other error, so it’s of no use to me. Has anyone ever deleted the pro power 2k to regain payload capacity?
When you say it has never worked, “ever” why did you not have i looked at by your local dealer?

ks54703

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22,XLT,302a,2.7EB,19Escape,87 GLHS 79 Magnun GT
Occupation
Retired IBEW Local 14 inside wireman
Removing and re-designing a system to work to it's fullest is no easy chore, but see your frustration with having electrical issues and stumping the Ford techs trying figure it out.

Look behind the drivers rear tire for the connector going up to the outlet. The connector has no physical protection and is in direct line for constant spray from the right rear tire. On my personal truck unplugged the connector and used a liberal application of die-electric grease to help the connections in this connector. Then made a plastic cover to at least stop some of the spray directly on this connector. There should be 4 wires in the connector, (2) for power (2) for low voltage for control or signal. PB has (3) power wires with the 7.2 KW or 120/240 outlet and (2) low voltage/signal wires

Had the issue on a 21 PB and when Ford was baffled went looking for myself and came across this and fixed it this way. Then DUMPED the 21 PB. If Ford Techs are stumped on this how are they going to fix things when things get really bad.

These are the pictures of the fix on the 22 XLT 302a with only a 400 watt outlet but as you see didn't take long to do it before it got me again.

Ever had a random proximity sensor act up then go away after a driving in the rain. That's moisture intrusion into the connector. The very same style of connector.

Ford F-150 Anyone remove the ProPower 2k? IMG_20221114_104329448_HDR

Ford F-150 Anyone remove the ProPower 2k? IMG_20221114_104758384
Ford F-150 Anyone remove the ProPower 2k? IMG_20221114_104833771
Ford F-150 Anyone remove the ProPower 2k? IMG_20221114_105833099

Samson16

First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 F-150 XLT Powerboost Super Crew 4x4
Occupation
Aviation systems
Had the issue on a 21 PB and when Ford was baffled went looking for myself and came across this and fixed it this way.
What issue did you have? What were the symptoms?

Walter Townsend

First Name
Walter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Lariat FX4 Off Road Fishing Edition 5.0
Occupation
Owner Operator Starlight Tool Services Ltd Millwright/Welder/Machinist/Electronics tech
The 2K Propower on my F150 Lariat is anemic to say the least, it will run my mitre saw, but the was definitely struggles to get up to speed and run. For lighter loads it seems to work OK.

One of the few features I miss from the PowerBoost with the 7.2K Propower.
Sponsored