Anyone remove rear blocks?

Buyer2021

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lariat SuperCab and 2005 XLT SuperCab
Occupation
retired!
Input welcome, especially @Zengineer .....

I'm curious to understand what, if anything, Ford does to adjust the pinion angle difference between similar 2WD vs 4WD configurations (it being suggested that the former would have no block, while the latter does).

My scenario - I have a 2022 4WD 145"WB Lariat 500A SCAB w/Max TT Pkg., 7050# GVWR, the 3-leaf spring pack
  • One-piece driveshaft length (CL to CL of U-joint) = ~72"
  • Block thickness = ~1.2"
  • Axle to bump-stop, unladen at rest = ~5.75"
I cannot discern with crude tape-measurements that the block thickness is different front/rear, but maybe it is, acting as a tapered shim to 'correct' the pinion angle?

IF I compared my truck to a 2WD 145"WB SCAB (comparable in all other respects but presumably without the block), what components would be different, if any, aimed at 'correcting' the 'no-block pinion angle'?

Would the axle-to-bump-stop distance be ~4.55" on that 2WD truck (IOW, would it have the same bump-stop component)?

I wouldn't mind lowering the rear of my truck by ~1.2" at the axle. I do tow a 5500#GTW 5th wheel trailer which, when loaded for travel including the hitch weight, imposes ~850# load in the bed (against a rated payload of 1848#). My typical 'other cargo and occupants' weight including myself is ~250# in the cabin. The 'static sag' at the rear axle when all that load is applied is ~.75"~1".

With block-removal I'd sacrifice ~1.2" total worst-case 'bump-travel'; the impact on front caster and pinion angle seem inconsequential in my case?

Am I off base, are there other implications that I'm missing?

Thanks in Advance for y'all's thoughts / input
Sponsored

nvabill

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F-150 XLT, Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
I removed the blocks from my rear axle and have a photo of them still in as well as a photo of a stock 2WD XLT with no blocks. If anyone is interested I measured the U-bolts, mine are approximately 10 inches and the ones on the 2WD are approximately 8 1/2 inches and round at the top just like mine. Someone had said in one of these threads the pre '21 U-bolts were square on top so won't work.
Ford F-150 Anyone remove rear blocks? thumbnail_IMG_9888
Ford F-150 Anyone remove rear blocks? thumbnail_IMG_9887

Buyer2021

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
retired!
Posting my 'block removal exercise' just FYI ....

As mentioned in a previous post I've got a 4WD 145" WB Supercab which uses a ~72" long 1-piece driveshaft from the tranny / transfer case to the rear differential (no intermediate support / U-joint).

After examining a 2WD 145" WB Supercab on a dealer lot I found that not only are the U-bolts shorter but also the bump-stops are shorter (presumably to allow similar total suspension travel without the blocks).

Back to my truck I carefully measured clearances and found the shorter bump-stops would still afford plenty of clearance along the entire driveline in a worst-case maximum-travel excursion.

I used my rotating laser-level (a construction-site tool) to determine the change in differential / pinion angle before and after removing the OE ~1.2" blocks (with full 36 gallon fuel tank, the truck resting on the wheels).

Within the limits of my measuring tools I could discern no change in the differential / pinion angle relative to the truck chassis line (bottom of the straight length of frame under the bed). IOW the differential is just 1.2" higher in the chassis with no measurable change in angle relative to the chassis. Based on this I've concluded that in my case the block removal slightly reduces the effective pinion-to-driveshaft angle at rest (the driveshaft is angled up going forward from the differential).

The PN's I installed are:
2WD U-bolts ML3Z*5705*A (quantity 4)
2WD Bump-Stops ML3Z*4730*A (quantity 2)

The resultant ~1.2" lower bed height directly over the axle obviously reduces the 'static rake' a corresponding amount. For me the benefit is reducing the minimum height of my 5th wheel hitch so my RV trailer now rides 'level' when loaded; when hitched my relatively light (for a 5th wheel) trailer increases my rear sag by slightly under 1" and decreases the front sag by an almost immeasurable ~1/8"~3/16". Those 'sag' dimensions did not change with the block removal.

Last edited:

Rockman5159

First Name
Rocky
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 ford f150 FX4
Occupation
retired
Wondering if anyone has tried removing these on a 2021 yet, and if there's any issues? Does the 2WD not come with these 1" blocks? I was thinking of removing them and adding Fox 2.0, set to 1" to retain 1" of rake and improve handling. My 4x4 Sport w/o FX4 has 3" of rake stock.
I removed mine on my 2021 rcsb FX4.It dropped it 1 inch in the rear. The block actually has a taper from front to rear,so I installed a 2 degree pinion shim to be on the safe side. Rides the same and there is enough threads to tighten back up,just barely,but enough

Sponsored

Buyer2021

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
retired!
Last edited:

RedundanT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 RCSB 5.0
Occupation
Making lego parts for new vehicles
Input welcome, especially @Zengineer .....

I'm curious to understand what,

I wouldn't mind lowering the rear of my truck by ~1.2" at the axle.

With block-removal I'd sacrifice ~1.2" total worst-case 'bump-travel'; the impact on front caster and pinion angle seem inconsequential in my case?

Am I off base, are there other implications that I'm missing?

Thanks in Advance for y'all's thoughts / input
On my ' 17 Scab tow package 4x4 I just removed the blocks, used existing u bolts, and had no problems for the time I drove it. No vibes, no issues period.

On my '22 Reg cab I used shims because I removed the blocks AND used 2 inch shackles. If just removing the blocks I really wouldn't worry about a shim.

diambo4life

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lariat Screw 4x4
Occupation
Assassin
Would shims be neeed if you removed blocks and did the 1-1.5" shackles?

Rockman5159

First Name
Rocky
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 ford f150 FX4
Occupation
retired
Wondering if anyone has tried removing these on a 2021 yet, and if there's any issues? Does the 2WD not come with these 1" blocks? I was thinking of removing them and adding Fox 2.0, set to 1" to retain 1" of rake and improve handling. My 4x4 Sport w/o FX4 has 3" of rake stock.
I have a 2021 rcswb FX4 and I removed my blocks and dropped the rear about 1 inch. If you look closley the blocks have a slight taper to them. They are about 1/8 thicker in the rear,I'm guessing for the pinion angle. I ordered a set of 2 degree pinion shims off of ebay and put those in after removing the blocks. No problems at all with ride quality. I also dont believe that the 2wd trucks come with the blocks.

Zengineer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lariat 157wb
I have a 2021 rcswb FX4 and I removed my blocks and dropped the rear about 1 inch. If you look closley the blocks have a slight taper to them. They are about 1/8 thicker in the rear,I'm guessing for the pinion angle. I ordered a set of 2 degree pinion shims off of ebay and put those in after removing the blocks. No problems at all with ride quality. I also dont believe that the 2wd trucks come with the blocks.
They don't and the longer wb 4x4 blocks are 1.25 inch with no taper.

Sponsored

Buyer2021

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
retired!
the longer wb 4x4 blocks are 1.25 inch with no taper.
This true for my 145" WB as with your 157" WB.

I could be wrong but I also believe that the 4x4 145" WB has the longest 1-piece driveshaft (mine is a single driveshaft from tranny to differential, no intermediate support / U-joint).

Now with ~1100 miles since I removed the blocks without adding any shim (the pinion>driveshaft angle is reduced compared to OE in this case) I've detected no adverse effect on any system whatsoever. I'm very happy with the mod and glad that this forum made me aware of the possibility. (y) :)

Last edited:

TexasTruck

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Ford F-150 STX BAP
Occupation
I fix software bugs!
I like the way yours and the others look here without the block. More proportionate front to rear with a slight rake.

JeremyMTB

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 Raptor, 2022 Platinum on Order
Occupation
Self Employed
Anyone that pulled the rear blocks have the CCD suspension. I want to pull mine but not sure if it will affect the CCD.

McGuyver

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tundra, Grand National
Anyone that pulled the rear blocks have the CCD suspension. I want to pull mine but not sure if it will affect the CCD.
I am curious about this too. Wondering if anyone has pulled their blocks or installed lowering shackles? I have seen a few post where no problems reported on ccd trucks installing 2” spacer lifts on the front. But not much info out their going the other way by dropping the rear 1-1.5”.
Are drop shackles more beneficial than removing blocks? Both methods can yield the same drop and if you replace the bolts with the 2 wheel drive ones the cost is similar.
Sponsored